Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Decrepify vs Amp Dmg

Discussion in 'Necromancer' started by Lothos, Feb 2, 2004.

1. Lothos

Lothos IncGamers Member

Decrepify vs Amp Dmg

K, I am a lvl 52 Skelimancer so far with 1 +3 all skills in the various curses. My question is, does decrepify amp dmg as much as amp dmg does? If it does, isn't it better to raise decrepify than amp dmg?

Stats

Max RS, SM, 1 Revive, 1 SR, 2 CE

2. darkmog84

darkmog84 IncGamers Member

ied say use amp dmg

amp dmg: less mana, 100% more pys
    decrep: slow walk, 50% more pys

3. zrk

zrk IncGamers Member

amp is for n00bs like me cause it is cheap and lasts for long also the skeletons seem to do more damage with it on and they have 20% higher chase to find magic items with it also :)

4. GenXCub

GenXCub IncGamers Member

Lothos, in general, amp is better, especially in hell for monsters who have some physical resists. I save Decrepify for monsters that do a lot of damage and bosses.

5. Peacrusher

Peacrusher IncGamers Member

Hmmm amp increases mf too???? didn't know that... where do you get your info?

Anyhow... Amp for small monsters to kill and use when using CE b/c of 100% damage... however...

Fanat boss packs and endbosses I use decrep simply b/c they can't attack you when they are slowed down to almost not moving at all... bosses that attack often like baal this is a must. Also it slows duriel to a crawl, and meph stands there like a dummy getting pelted....

I use CG and my merc has Ethereal Kelpie (slows 75%) so I tend to use amp more on bosses especially when they are at half life. just to finish them off quicker... But decrep is always ready incase they get a little too unruly....

6. Lothos

Lothos IncGamers Member

Ok, so I'm not insane. I've basically stuck to decrepify for now as I haven't had an issue with killing speed as of yet. Although the skelimancer in general is alot slower to play than my sorc is :D

7. Necrochild313

Necrochild313 IncGamers Member

*beating sorc over the head with a 2X4*

ok...now that I have that out of my system *wipes hands on shirt* heh eh..., I must say that both curses incredibly useful. It's just situational. Amplify damage would probably be the curse you'd want to use the most. This is because:

(A. It not only lasts longer, has a larger cast radius, requires less mana, and lowers physical resistance with twice the efficiency of decrepify (-100% vs. -50%), it...........well....ok that's it.

(B. Decrepify doesn't do that "stuff" ^. It has a MUCH smaller duration, and a smaller cast radius (which does not go up by lvl btw)

(C. In a nutshell, you'll kill quicker with amp

But don't count decrep out, as decrep is kinda the "Get you over the hump" amplify damage. When you're MFing in act 5 and those frenzy-trees start pounding down on your merc and summons like jackhammers, decrepify is there to slow down their attack speed, and cut the amount of damage they deal by 50%. Sweet eh? It also has the what I consider to be a bonus of -50% phys resists, which means the trees or whatever problem monsters will not only be slower but go into stun animation more readily (which they'll be slow to come out of)

So like I said, it's situational

8. Lothos

Lothos IncGamers Member

right now my decrep radius is much bigger than my amp, maybe I need to put some points into amp a bit more. Now that I've max'd SM and RS I am left looking where to put points. I'm and 1 pointing stuff to try things out and gain from the +3-6 in skills from items I have plus the few items I have yet to put on. Working towards poison nova right now and maybe try a few more curses out.

Whats the game plan for the big battles where your skels simply get leveld and there's no more corpses? Diablo for instance? He lays the smack down on my CG and my IG aint much better. Is the IM BG bug fixed now?

9. Mad Mantis

Mad Mantis D2/3 Necromancer & Witch Doctor Moderator

Just Decrep Big D and keep the Clay up while your Skellies beat him into a bloody pulp.

10. Necrochild313

you need some +skills, try donning on trangs gloves or slap on a homoncolus. Don't waste valuable points into curses.

big skellie levelin' battles use decrep and attract, it'll take the heat off of your army.

Yes, IM BG has been fixed. So now BG is useless :p

11. Lothos

Lothos IncGamers Member

I haven't spent more than a point in anything but my skellies relying on skill +'s to test things out. Haven't gotten attract yet. My prob with D was his flame circle killed all my skels in one cast in normal. Hoping that wont happen in nitemare and hell with more +'s in items and summon resist.

12. Atompilz

Atompilz IncGamers Member

I had the same problem in normal. I highly doubt you'll experience the same problem in NM ( or in hell too, for that matter) Once skellies are maxed, and you have decrepify and a decent amount of +skills, diablo goes down pretty quick. Getting to him and dealing with IM is a different story, just save ALOT of cash to resurrect your merc. :)

13. jmprockstar

jmprockstar IncGamers Member

Attract is worth a point +skills. It directs ranged attackers away from your minions, and, if you cast it on two or three monsters, it has the same effect as confuse but allowing you to cast amp/decrep on the rest of the group. It's high on mana, but you would only need to cast it when you have large groups. The nice thing about the curse tree is that every skill, except weaken (with my overlord), has its use.

My 2 cents.

JMP

14. memememe173

memememe173 IncGamers Member

few things to get out of the way

1. Necro forum rocks
    2. I respect so many of you guys (all char types) who i see shelling out there wisdom so generously
    3. please don;t take offense

that being said i have a complaint(s)

1. Not every ones build can spare the points for Decrepify
    2. There ARE other golems (i find my 20 IG w/ 20 GM works well when I feed him an exceptional..)
    3. Not every skelie uses CE

i just find that in every skelie thread i see

You [must] have CE//CG//Decrep//...
    and i think wow and here i thought my build was working well...

That being said you guys still rock

P.S. my pick is Amp...

15. Mad Mantis

Mad Mantis D2/3 Necromancer & Witch Doctor Moderator

Sure, there are other builds available. Like the LoM build which everybody forgets. But most of us just assume that the person asking for advice is interrested in the fastest killing build.

The skills you want to use are your personal choice. That is why it is called advice.

16. Lothos

Lothos IncGamers Member

What I have found so far is alot of the skills a necro can get are quite usefull with just a single point in them and some from items. I did notice last night that amp dmg does make the killing alot faster and with the speed of skels decrepify isn't needed as much unless you have a fanatic to deal with or an extra fast boss. The same holds true for CE I have found, only when I have a mob on my skels with multi shot, extra fast, or something do I need to nuke the field with CE. So, I will have to feel out the rest of the skills a bit more as I have yet to find a good place to invest more than one yet since my skels and SM are max.

17. Krollin

Krollin IncGamers Member

I find Decrep most useful when pounding the big guys, Mephisto, Diablo, Baal.

In situations where you are facing hordes then amp/CE is much more efficient.
    As someone mentioned, decrep is also useful for those times when Frenzytaurs and other fast creatures attack.

Someone mentioned Attract as being a useful curse to have and I totally agree, however they forgot to mention Attracts real strength, it cannot be overriden by other curses:xgrin: .

As a general rule it is not necessary to put more than 1 point into any curse.

18. Lothos

Lothos IncGamers Member

What I am finding is I have not needed more than 1 point in much of anything beyond my RS and SM. The weak area I would have is where my skels would be wiped and I would need my golem for defense. In those situations would it be wise to consider raising GM or IG to get a bit more health? or perhaps IM and just recast CG alot?

19. Anksun

Anksun IncGamers Member

On a side note, My pally mercenary have ask me to said: "I dont like those magics, those oblivions Hurts me "

well...

20. Necrochild313

Yes, I can't say that I hate anything more than being in a game with a newbiemancer who is overriding all of my curses. MOFO! I think the worst thing is when a nec was overriding my amp with weaken. WEAKEN! I was like.....WTF?!!!

(Note: I actually hotkeyed weaken for the first time in years today. I would be ashamed to admit it, but I was in an ancients game and I was only lvl 20, hence i didn't have the far superior decrepify, and there was only a level 24 druid in my game today, so we had a bit of a rough bout. I was playing mojomancer as I had died and my summons were gone (except for clay golem), and I didn't want to risk having him die while I go rebuild my army (resetting the one we had killed), so I lifetaped the ancient he was working on and weakened the other one. Of course the clay golem helped with his slow. It took awhile, but we did it. I was almost late for school in the process. :p )

Iron golem doesn't get more life for points into it, it raises his defence (worthless) and raises his damage returned (heres the real reason). IM at a very high level and recasting CG may work a little but not very well, as in hell monsters have SO much more hp than damage they deal. It won't do much more than stop their regeneration. Use decrep in situations where your skellies would be wiped out normally. As I stated in a previous post this usually is enough to get them over "the hump"