Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Deckard Cain: Not corrupted, but evil to the core?

Discussion in 'Diablo 3 General Discussion' started by General Anubis, Jun 14, 2009.

1. General Anubis

General Anubis IncGamers Member

Deckard Cain: Not corrupted, but evil to the core?

Alright, I searched around the forum for a bit and found some other people speculating on Cain being an antagonist in D3 because he allegedly may have been corrupted based on a vague comment in the FAQs. I have a somewhat different theory that a friend spelled out to me and strangely enough it makes sense and would be an insane plot twist ;).

The basis of this theory is that Cain is actually the highest evil entity in existence, I guess Lucifer or Beelzebub himself. His ultimate plot is to help the heroes in defeating the Prime Evils so that once they are gone nothing is left (except the hero which will be caught by surprise) to stand in his way for ultimate power.

Think about it.. Mysteriously he was the only surviving Horadrim, and has intimate knowledge of nearly everything dealing with both heaven and hell. Furthermore, he was also mysteriously the only person left unscathed when Tristram was destroyed. Hanging in a cage? Pretty poor showing of terror by the dark demonic fiends of hell.

One more piece of the pie here is his name. Cain... Hmmm perhaps he is supposed to be Cain as in, Cain and Abel, the first murderer? Interestingly plausible if you ask me ;)

Feel free to completely disagree and debunk this but please give good reasoning :) - All added thoughts welcome.

2. LonelyAnon

LonelyAnon IncGamers Member

Re: Deckard Cain: Not corrupted, but evil to the core?

I like it!:thumbup:
    Allthough the relation to Cain and Abel seems a little bit far fetched to me, they would have had to be planning the entire story ( diablo 1,2 and 3 ) from the begining for them to make that conection, but you never know...:scratchchin:

3. The Lord of Darkness

The Lord of Darkness IncGamers Member

I think that Cain is just an old dude that has too much on the brain. I think the true evil is Tyrael or better known as Belial the Lord of Lies.

4. TheGarden

TheGarden IncGamers Member

Hmm good points, not to mention that very phrase in the D3 FAQ (that's no longer there), went something like :"a new evil brewing under the ruins of Tristram, and it may have already claimed its first victim: Deckard Cain.....".

That phrase right there is open to interpretation. Could mean that Cain was taken prisoner, killed, or CONVERTED.....if he wasn't already rotten, the ultimate infiltrator. If something/someone appears to be too good to be true, it usually is.

Personally I'd go with door 3, seeing how he was indeed unharmed during the annihilation of Tristram. Or how a defenseless old non-magical hag managed to survive inside the catacombs underneath Tristram (D3) all this time, with only 2 wretched mercenaries that can be easily squashed like bugs by anyone. The demons could simply have allowed them to enter unharmed, knowing he is on their side (even if he does have an ulterior motive to take over after the Prime Evils are vanquished).
    And the mercs are just along for the ride lol, expendable fools. Heh I'm sure the Siegebreaker will agree with that. What in da hells is dat???

Overall, it would be an awesome twist if this happened to be true. As Blizzboys said, it's not just D3, they got plans beyond. Cain's betrayal could be the endgame event in D3 (as Tyrael's smashing of the Worldstone was in D2) and he can be dealt to in D4 or World of Diablo/Sanctuary, or whatever the next one will be titled. Ye, love it!!!

5. Jephery

Jephery IncGamers Member

Not interested.

Cain has never showed any sort of Magical or Martial prowess, and his only role in previous games was exposition and lore. He is a scholar and that is it.

6. Airazor

Airazor IncGamers Member

That's a pretty interesting theory, it would definitely be an awesome twist an darken the whole thing a lot. I couldn't imagine a better final boss than the guy who has been helping you since D1.

7. EagleCros

EagleCros IncGamers Member

Deckard Cain as final boss would be as laughable (and hence plausible) as Yoda fighting. He would need to transform into something before he could get really scary.

But then, in D3 we do have an archivist... and Deckard Cain looks pretty much like one as well... an evil archivist?

8. Sepharia

Sepharia IncGamers Member

I'm not usually one for such wild speculation.. But I actually thought this was pretty neat. And maybe I'm just being mean, but getting to unleash some pew pew on ol' Cain would be too fun.

9. lunarleif

lunarleif IncGamers Member

Sorry, Cain was one of the Horadrim:grouphug:
    And here's a quote from Adria in D1 "A chest opened in darkness holds no greater treasure than when it is opened in the light. The storyteller Cain is an Enigma, but only to those who do not look. His knowledge of what lies beneath the cathedral is far greater than even he allows himself to realize. "
    Could Cain be the prime evils father confined into human form like the wanderer?

Last edited: Jun 15, 2009
  10. lunarleif

Also, it was as a result of Cain that the first hero in a way become corrupted. Then Diablo was weakened by being in this state, though he could further himself. However, once you have Diablo running around, people come out to hunt him and they go ahead and completely kill them. To further support this in a way, Tyrael originally said that he didn't encourage Izual to completely give up his attempt on the hell forge. As a result of Izual, the demons learned about the worldstone and how to benefit from the soul stones. This led to the absolute almost destruction of the three prime evils. You might also consider that Cain, if he was the ultimate power, would want the prime evils out of his way in order to make it into power. Along with that comes the fact that the prime evils could duplicate the look of anyone, as Baal did when Marius gave him his soul stone, so what's to keep a demon from looking like an angel?

Last edited: Jun 18, 2009
  11. IGotGreasyBalls

IGotGreasyBalls IncGamers Member

Lol would be an epic twist. I would really like it

12. Qwink

Qwink IncGamers Member

I've thought about that also. It's just too much of a coincident that Cain survived the attack on Tristram. Could it be that Cain and Tyreal are conspiring together and that they really are belail and azmodan. In D2 cain told you to kill all the prime evils. After you killed them all tyreal destroyed the worldstone. Now all of hell could step into our world or something.
    Nevertheless im pretty sure that diablo will be the main boss. Why else would they call the game Diablo III :p

13. Palurien

Palurien IncGamers Member

Diablo III will turn out to just be a working title, and the real name of the game will be revealed once you have completed the game on any difficulty:
    Cain I

14. Jephery

Jephery IncGamers Member

He was a Horadrim by blood, but he has never shown any sort of magical ability.

That quote is referencing the fact that Cain knew many myths and stories about the cathedral and its history that were in fact the truth. Before the events in Diablo, Cain himself seemed to doubt the legends of the Horadric mages, believing them to be merely myth. The events in Diablo opened his eyes to the horrible truth.

15. General Anubis

General Anubis IncGamers Member

Jeph, one thing you are overlooking with your outright dismissal is that an unassuming role like an extremely elderly scholar is a perfect disguise for a demonic entity trying to seem like a harmless but wise aid to the heroes.

I mean really, do you think a demonic entity would try to draw attention to itself by being one of the most powerful guys in town? No way. Instead it dupes the heroes into trusting it by appearing to be a very old (how old is he anyway?) man that is completely no threat having no abilities beyond his large amount of knowledge.

Oh - and Qwink, that friend of mine who came up with the original theory here expounded a bit based on your post. He said something like this:

What if Cain was for real in D1, an aged Horadrim scholar who aided you genuinely... however, in D2, when Tristram was razed, Cain was killed along with everyone else in the town. Belial, the lord of lies (as you suggested), takes the form of Cain, knowing an attempt at rescue will be made, to trick and lie to the heroes, getting them to accomplish his goals of defeating the Prime Evils once and for all.

Tyrael, really being Azmodan, allies himself with Belial to the same end, (this next part I added to it) and with the destruction of the Worldstone at his hands, the two feuding brothers have come to a compromise of control. Belial will be lord of hell, leaving Sanctuary open for Azmodan to rule over (or possibly vice-versa).

Definitely seems deviously plausible to me :scratchchin:.

16. Jephery

Jephery IncGamers Member

Belial and Azmodan hate each other. With the Prime Evils gone they're currently locked in a Civil War for full control of Hell. Your friend's scenario is not very interesting at all, since there was nothing in Diablo II to hint at anything like that. Plus we have Cain's journal on the Diablo III website, completely canon, which rules out that theory altogether.

Cain was stuck in his cage for the simple reason of having the player rescue him. If you want a more "lore"-y explanation, the demons simply knew he was the last of the Horadrim who had opposed their masters long ago and wanted to torture and starve him to death.

17. DWS

DWS IncGamers Member

At first I thought "Hmm that's an interesting theory" but the more you sit and think on it the less it make sense. There have been 0 plot devices that would foreshadow this event. None. It's essentially pulling something out of thin air for the sake of game #3 and to me that stinks.

At least with Tyreal you can question his motives, you can question where he comes from, you can question even his presence with Duriel (not hog tied, just standing there). And the world stone is a foreshadow to the events that shape D3.

If he really was the ultimate evil why would he spend his time on a quest with a mortal when he could theoretically just vanquish them. And there has never once been a mention of some greater power.

A better story line might be to have him killed.

And typically when people have 3 years to discuss plot twists etc it always ends up being the most obvious one.

18. lunarleif

Sorry, in the Diablo 3 trailer or something like that, a demo or character play. It shows Cain trapped below with a couple of guards who get killed really really easily :whistling: How could Cain survive with that? When you rescue Cain, Griswold attacks you, but not Cain? Why do they leave Cain alone? :scratchchin:

19. DWS

DWS IncGamers Member

As easily as you attributed it to his evilness (or easier) you can supply any number of reasons.

1) Could be using Cain to lure any would be heros
    2) Maybe he's useful for something
    3) Maybe he's more powerful than we think
    4) Because having him killed in Tristram kinda sucks
    5) He sweet talked the bad guys into keeping him alive
    6) He gave "special favors"
    7) They want to torture him into revealing info
    8) It's more peotically evil to kill him in some kind of symbolic way and they didn't get to him yet
    9) He has a whole belt of rejuv pots
    10) He's the ultimate evil in the entire world and this is his massive plot to get on the good side of some hero and help them systematical kill the prime evils because somehow despite being the ultimate evil isn't strong enough to kill albrecht, or the wanderer, or imprisoned Baal or really anybody else thus gaining control of them hells himself (despite already being the biggest evil already) and dominating mankind.
    11) Monsters spent hours of amusement poking him with a pointy stick
    12) They were enchanted by his strangely familiar voice
    13) He pee's laser beams
    14) They were just about to kill him when you came along
    15) Killing the last horadrim would make him a martyr for others to follow him
    16) He's a stupid old man so why bother?
    17) They need him to open the gates to heave and/or hell cause nobody else knows how to do it
    18) He was going to be for dinner and just happened to be the last one (i.e. everybody else was already eaten)
    19) Despite being from the seven hells they still have enough humanity to feel bad for and old man
    20) They were going to make a video of his beheading and publish it on national TV as a symbol of the demons Jihad.

20. lunarleif

Hm. :scratchchin: How would it be strangely familiar? That supports the he could be the ultimate evil. Also, if he was the ultimate evil, he has all the time in the world, and as it turns out, as previously stated, the three Prime Evils have blown themselves out and now the Lesser Evils are doing so. Also, this round may be killing the lesser evils so there is no one to keep him from ruling all. The worldstone stopped hell from rolling on to the real world, and with that gone, the "prime" evil can rule both. Also, the person who beats the lesser evils and has the enhancement of the worldstone letting the Nephalem show their true colors will give him an ultimate wanderer like ability. He may have been constricted into the Cain like form as a joke from Heaven and or he may have been previously defeated by the entirety of the power of the Nephalem.