Latest Diablo 3 News
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Decent Dirt Cheap Sorc Equipment

Discussion in 'Sorceress' started by MageChick, Aug 10, 2006.

1. MageChick

MageChick Diabloii.Net Member

Decent Dirt Cheap Sorc Equipment

I keep seeing lots of posts looking for equipment help. Let me try to paste together a collection of decent, dirt cheap equipment, starting with armor. There’s lots of good rare stuff out there, but I’ll limit this to unique gear that can be had for less than 10 pgems, or runewords that don’t take anything higher than Fal/Ko (which can be bought for about 10 pgems). This is meant to point out gear that is useful even for level 70-85 sorcs as they make it through hell, but many of these items will come with a low level requirement and will make excellent low-mid level gear as well. I hope this helps.

Unique Armor

Silks of the Victor
    Ancient Armor
    Defense: 468-514 (varies)(Base Defense: 218-233)
    Required Level: 28
    Required Strength: 100
    Durability: 60
    +100-120% Enhanced Defense (varies)
    +1 To All Skills
    5% Mana Stolen Per Hit
    +2 To Light Radius
    It’s a normal unique that gives +1 skill and not much else. At least the defense is reasonable, but the str required is kinda high. It can be up’d easily, but then the str req’d goes through the roof. If this is all you got, then there may be problems. You probably won’t survive hell with this, but at least its better than nothing. Definitely not worth socketing though.

The Spirit Shroud
    Ghost Armor
    Defense: 295 (Base Defense: 102-117)
    Required Strength: 38
    Durability: 20
    +150% Enhanced Defense
    Cannot Be Frozen
    +1 To All Skills
    Replenish Life +10
    Magic Damage Reduced By 7-11 (varies)
    (Only Spawns In Patch 1.09 or later)
    Again we get +1 skill and not much else. The cannot be frozen is nice, but the defense is kinda low. The str and level req’d are low, but this is exceptional unique armor and it will take lem+ko to up it (beyond our price range) and I don’t think its worth it anyway. You can buy much better armor for a lem. If you find this cheap around at less than level 40 or so, go for it, but it’s not viable in hell. Definitely not worth socketing either.

Skin of the Vipermagi
    Serpentskin Armor
    Defense: 279 (Base Defense: 111-126)
    Required Level: 29
    Required Strength: 43
    Durability: 24
    +120% Enhanced Defense
    +1 To All Skills
    30% Faster Cast Rate
    Magic Damage Reduced By 9-13 (varies)
    All Resistances +20-35 (varies)
    This is the beginning of decent armor. +1 skill, 30% fast cast rate and resistance – all great mods. The higher % resistance ones will easily get out of our price range, but anything around 20-25% resistance is dirt cheap. If you can find something with more than 30% resistance it’s probably worth uping (beyond our price range I know, but that will get you almost 1000 def and the str req’d is still low). If you can’t up it, you’ll want more defense in hell, but other than that, this is good armor – if you play conservatively you will probably survive some hell meph runs. I’d even spend a socket quest on this, regardless of % – you can always improve it bit there.

Skullder's Ire
    Russet Armor
    I’ll just mention it here because it out of our price range. Decent armor for the MFer -if you find it.

Que-Hegan's Wisdom
    Mage Plate
    Defense: 628-681 (varies)(Base Defense: 225-261)
    Required Level: 51
    Required Strength: 55
    +140-160% Enhanced Defense (varies)
    +1 To All Skill Levels
    +3 To Mana After Each Kill
    20% Faster Cast Rate
    20% Faster Hit Recovery
    Magic Damage Reduced By 6-10 (varies)
    +15 To Energy
    Lots of good mods here, and even decent defense. We have a winner. You can pick this up cheap and wear it all the way through hell if you want. If you can’t afford better, I’d spend the socket on it, although it isn’t really worth the runes to up it. Of course if you did, you’d end up with over 1000 defense and still take only 106 str. Uping is possible, just not recommended.

Ormus' Robes
    Dusk Shroud
    Defense: 371-487 (varies)(Base Defense: 361-467)
    Required Level: 75
    Required Strength: 77
    Durability: 20
    +10-20 Defense (varies)
    +20% Faster Cast Rate
    +10-15% To Cold Skill Damage (varies)
    +10-15% To Fire Skill Damage (varies)
    +10-15% To Lightning Skill Damage (varies)
    +3 bonus to a random Sorceress skill (Sorceress Only)*
    Regenerate Mana 10-15% (varies)
    (Only Spawns In Patch 1.10 or later)
    All the useful skills will put this way beyond our price range, but the worthless skill ones can be had for almost nothing. The problem is that the worthless skill sets don’t have a whole lot for us. The +damage will be useful for just about everyone, and the fast cast and mana regen are nice. But defense isn’t great. Still, if you pick this up for a few pgems, good. Go ahead and spend the socket quest here. You’ll could end up wearing this for a while – it will be viable all the way through hell. Of course you probably can’t equip it until then due to the level 75 requirement.

Arkaine's Valor
    Balrog Skin
    Defense: 1295-1450 (varies)(Base Defense: 410-517)
    Required Level: 85
    Required Strength: 165
    Durability: 30
    +150-180% Enhanced Defense (varies)
    +1-2 To All Skills* (varies)
    + (0.5 Per Character Level) 0-49 To Vitality (Based On Character Level)
    30% Faster Hit Recovery
    Damage Reduced By 10-15 (varies)
    (Only Spawns In Patch 1.10 or later)
    This is only within our price range if is a +1 skill variety and even then you’ll probably only find the lower defense damage reduction ones for less than 10 pgems. But, this is good armor if you can get it, and you have the str to wear it. The str requirement alone probably puts it out of the reach of most sorc’s, but you can work around that if needed. If you can’t, then go ahead and pass it to your merc – he’ll thank you.

Rune word Armor

Lionheart
    3 Socket Body Armor
    Hel + Lum + Fal
    +20% Enhanced Damage
    Requirements -15%
    +25 To Strength
    +10 To Energy
    +20 To Vitality
    +15 To Dexterity
    +50 To Life
    All Resistances +30
    I’ll mention this for the sake of completeness. There just isn’t much here that impresses me. The mods are decent, but not great. I’d say keep the runes and use them for something else.

Smoke
    2 Socket Body Armor
    Nef + Lum
    +75% Enhanced Defense
    +280 Defense Vs. Missile
    All Resistances +50
    20% Faster Hit Recovery
    Level 6 Weaken (18 Charges)
    +10 To Energy
    -1 To Light Radius
    If you can build this in a piece of elite armor you could get around 700 def total in the end. That along with great resistances and even some hit recovery make this decent armor. Now if you drop this in the first 2os breast plate you find, you’ll be disappointed. As with all rune words, the base armor your build it in will factor into the level and str req’d. Depending on the base armor you use, this could end up being viable armor into hell.

Stealth
    2 Socket Body Armor
    Tal + Eth
    Magic Damage Reduced By 3
    +6 To Dexterity
    +15 To Maximum Stamina
    Poison Resist +30%
    Regenerate Mana 15%
    25% Faster Run/Walk
    25% Faster Cast Rate
    25% Faster Hit Recovery
    Four good mods here, but you won’t get any improvement in the defense of the armor you started with. Again, if you start with a good elite armor (450+ def), this could be viable for a while, but you’ll probably want something better before you start running hell.

Conclusion:
    Beyond the equipment listed above, there’s actually fairly few pieces of really “godly†gear. Some of them we’ve already talked about (Good skill Ormus, High resist% Up’d Vipermagi) some of which we haven’t. The other things you’ll see people wearing, but are no where close to cheap are Tal Armor, Enigma, and Chains of Honor.

Disclaimer:
    I only play ladder, US East, and at the time of this post, its pretty late in the ladder season, so lots of stuff has gotten cheap. After a ladder reset, you can expect prices to rise as availability will be an issue. Some of this gear may also be priced differently depending on what realm you are – it all goes back to supply and demand. I’ll try to indicate whenever I mention any gear that is ladder only.

2. MageChick

Hold on, I just pulled the merc armor section to put it in a new thread. Let me keep merc and sorc seperate.

3. yelopen

yelopen Diabloii.Net Member

Good, very good. Gonna be especially helpful to people who can't afford the top stuff. Gonna clear up some threads hopefully.

You've been interested in making guides lately haven't you? :)

4. MageChick

Forgot this one

Naj's Light Plate
    Hellforge Plate
    Defense: 721-830 (varies)(Base Defense: 421-530)
    Required Level: 71
    Required Strength: 79
    +300 Defense
    Requirements -60%
    45% Damage Taken Goes To Mana
    +1 To All Skills
    All Resistances +25
    +65 To Life
    Decent defense, +1 skill, resistance, life and damage to mana. Another good armor, for almost nothing. Yes I'd even spend a socket quest on it. This would work very well through NM - maybe into hell.

5. MageChick

Same as above, here's a good cheap helm list.

Tarnhelm
    Skull Cap
    Defense: 8-11 (varies)
    Required Level: 15
    Required Strength: 15
    Durability: 18
    +1 To All Skill Levels
    25-50% Better Chance of Getting Magic Item (varies)
    75% Extra Gold From Monsters
    (Spawns In Any Patch)
    Skills and MF, what else can you want? Oh yeah, defense. You’ll have to up this at least once to be viable in NM, maybe twice to work in Hell. This is the only normal unique helm I see that’s remotely useful. But it’s not that bad – wish I had one back in level 15. If I did actually up it, and the MF% was high, I may consider using a socket quest on it.

Peasant Crown
    War Hat
    Defense: 108 (Base Defense: 45-53)
    Required Strength: 20
    Durability: 12
    +100% Enhanced Defense
    +1 To All Skills
    15% Faster Run/Walk
    Replenish Life +6-12 (varies)
    +20 To Energy
    +20 To Vitality
    This is actually a really good helm. +1 skill and good mods. If I had to, I’d socket this thing and wear it proudly into hell. This is an exceptional unique, so the cost of uping it is steeper, but it may even be worth it.

Sazabi's Mental Sheath
    Basinet
    Defense: 175-184(varies) (Base Defense: 75-84)
    Required Level: 43
    Required Strength: 82
    Durability: 30
    +1 To All Skills
    Lightning Resist +15-20% (varies)
    Fire Resist +15-20% (varies)
    +100 Defense
    Just about equal to the Peasant Crown. +1 skill, a little better defense, and some resistance. I’d rather have the Peasant Crown, but this is defiantly workable too. Feel free to socket away and wear it into hell. No chance to upgrade as it’s a set item. You could consider wearing the whole set (helm, sword, armor) but its pretty much for melee char’s.

Rune word helms

Lore
    2 Socket Helms
    Ort + Sol
    +1 To All Skill Levels
    +10 To Energy
    +2 To Mana After Each Kill
    Lightning Resist +30%
    Damage Reduced By 7
    +2 To Light Radius
    A couple of low runes and you have a good helm, assuming you build it a good elite base helm. I’d probably prefer the Peasant Crown above, but this isn’t bad at all. I’d look for something better by the time you make the move to hell, but this will work through NM.

Nadir
    2 Socket Helms
    Nef + Tir
    +50% Enhanced Defense
    +10 Defense
    +30 Defense vs. Missile
    Level 13 Cloak of Shadows (9 Charges)
    +2 To Mana After Each Kill
    +5 To Strength
    -33% Extra Gold From Monsters
    -3 To Light Radius
    I actually don’t recommend this one, yeah, you’ll get more defense here, but the stats are better on Lore. Included just for completeness.

Radiance
    3 Socket Helms
    Nef + Sol + Ith
    +75% Enhanced Defense
    +30 Defense Vs. Missile
    +10 To Energy
    +10 To Vitality
    15% Damage Goes To Mana
    Magic Damage Reduced By 3
    +33 To Mana
    Damage Reduced By 7
    +5 To Light Radius
    This is about the same as Nadir to me. Just nothing to get excited about. The mods are a bit better, but look to replace this by the time you get to hell.

Again, once you get beyond what’s listed here, look into a Tal helm (as part of the whole set), or Shako. Delirium Helms are also popular with the rich people.

6. melianor

melianor D3 Wizard Moderator

Ah, MageChick on the writing spree. :brainiac:
    Added to library, sticky for short while.

7. MageChick

well, I've been getting bored at work. That and hopefully preparing for a upcoming ladder reset. I still need to add a short blurb on shields, belts, gloves, boots and jewely. Maybe work will be boring again tomorrow.

8. kuafu

kuafu Diabloii.Net Member

Up'ed Heavenly Garb is pretty good too.

9. MageChick

Sorc Shields

Rather than just look at the dirt cheap stuff as we have been doing, let’s look at the worthwhile options. You’ll find that shield prices just aren’t that high. For the most part, nothing here will come close to approaching the multiple high rune prices for some of the “leet†armor and weapons.

Unique Shields

Wall of the Eyeless
    Bone Shield
    Defense: 50-53 (varies)(Base Defense: 10-30)
    Required Level: 20
    Required Strength: 25
    Durability: 40
    Chance to Block: Pal: 50%, Ama/Asn/Bar: 45%, Dru/Nec/Sor: 40%
    Paladin Smite Damage: 3 To 6
    +30-40% Enhanced Defense (varies)
    +10 Defense
    +5 to Mana after Each Kill*
    20% Faster Cast Rate
    3% Mana Stolen Per Hit
    Poison Resist +20%
    Well, what do you expect for a normal unique shield. Lousy blocking and defense I guess. The only saving element here is the 20% faster cast. But even with that, I’d rather invest in a decent staff and forgo the shield all together. Pass on this one.

The Ward
    Gothic Shield
    Defense: 112 (Base Defense: 30-35)
    Required Level: 26
    Required Strength: 60
    Durability: 40
    Chance to Block: Pal: 56%, Ama/Asn/Bar: 51%, Dru/Nec/Sor: 46%
    Paladin Smite Damage: 2 To 6
    +100% Enhanced Defense
    +40 Defense
    10% Increased chance of blocking
    All Resistances +30-50 (varies)
    Magic Damage Reduced By 2
    +10 To Strength
    Another normal unique shield and similar lousy defense and blocking. If you get one with near +50 resist all, I guess it might help through NM, but I’d still look for something better quick. If all you want from you shield is resists look ahead to moser’s.

Visceratuant
    Defender
    Defense: 100-125 (varies)(Base Defense: 41-49)
    Required Strength: 38
    Chance to Block: Pal: 70%, Ama/Asn/Bar: 65%, Dru/Nec/Sor: 60%
    Durability: 68
    Paladin Smite Damage: 8 To 12
    +100-150% Enhanced Defense (varies)
    30% Increased Chance of Blocking
    30% Faster Block Rate
    +1 To Sorceress Skill Levels
    Attacker Takes Lightning Damage of 10
    The first of the exceptional uniques gives us +1 skill which is always nice, but there isn’t much else here. I guess the defense is better than sigon’s, but the block% is lower too. This will help with NM, but lets look elsewhere before venturing into hell. I wouldn’t bother spending the socket quest just yet, unless you’ve decided to get a +1 skill shield and max block. If you’re going to try for both, this shield is actually your best bet. But for every build I’ve seen, there’s better options – the +1 skill just isn’t that valuable.

Moser's Blessed Circle
    Round Shield
    Defense: 156-179 (varies)(Base Defense: 47-55)
    Required Level: 31
    Required Strength: 53
    Chance to Block: Pal: 67%, Ama/Asn/Bar: 62%, Dru/Nec/Sor: 57%
    Durability: 64
    Paladin Smite Damage: 7 To 14
    +180-220% Enhanced Defense (varies)
    +25% Increased Chance of Blocking
    30% Faster Block Rate
    All Resistances +25
    Socketed (2)
    At first glance there’s not much here. The key is in the always present two open sockets. If you need more resists in hell (and who doesn’t), just slap two perfect diamonds in here and you’ll end up with 2x19 + 25 = 63% resist all. Not bad, not bad at all. Average defense and outstanding resists. Not my favorite, but on a budget, this will get the job done in hell, and you never have to spend the socket quest on it. This is arguably the best cheap alternative. Some people even like to up the shield for about double the defense and an extra 8% blocking. This is also a good choice.

Gerke's Sanctuary
    Pavise
    Defense: 221-268 (varies)(Base Defense: 68-78)
    Required Level: 44
    Required Strength: 133
    Chance to Block: Pal: 84%, Ama/Asn/Bar: 79%, Dru/Nec/Sor: 74%
    Durability: 172
    Paladin Smite Damage: 10 To 17
    +180-240% Enhanced Defense (varies)
    +30% Increased Chance of Blocking
    All Resistances +20-30 (varies)
    Replenish Life +15
    Damage Reduced By 11-16 (varies)
    Magic Damage Reduced By 14-18 (varies)
    This one doesn’t jump off the page at first glance either, but the 74% blocking is hard to beat. For me, the killer is the 133 strength required. If I’m going to invest that much str, there’s better shields out there. I guess if you’re going the max block route and you stumble upon this thing before you can find a Whitstan's Guard if could be useful. It does have some other mods going for it, but just not worth it in my opinion.

Lidless Wall
    Grim Shield
    Defense: 271-347 (varies)(Base Defense: 50-150)
    Required Level: 41
    Required Strength: 58
    Chance to Block: Pal: 50%, Ama/Asn/Bar: 45%, Dru/Nec/Sor: 40%
    Durability: 70
    Paladin Smite Damage: 14 To 20
    +80-130% Enhanced Defense (varies)
    +1 To All Skills
    Increase Maximum Mana 10%
    20% Faster Cast Rate
    +3-5 To Mana After Each Kill (varies)
    +10 To Energy
    +1 To Light Radius
    The almightily lidless. I remember when this thing used to be godly. Well, it probably never was, but people used to think so. Even now it still commands a price that will keep it from being considered cheep (about a pul+), but it does have a lot going for it. The defense is great, and the str requirement is low. The best part is the +1 skill and 20% faster cast rate. But don’t overlook the additional mana. I’ve found quite a few of these in my day, and my friends are always happy when I give it away. This shield will easily get you all the way through hell. I just wouldn’t spend the currency trying to buy one. I guess on non-ladder this thing may still rule supreme – sorry I’m a ladder guy and there better options on ladder. Still, socket this thing when you get it. It is always a good shield, but for a non-blocking shield, I prefer the benefits of the new (ladder only) rune word, spirit.

Stormshield
    Monarch
    Defense: (136-504) - (151-519) (varies)(Base Defense: 133-148)
    Required Level: 73
    Required Strength: 156
    Chance to Block: Pal: 77%, Ama/Asn/Bar: 72%, Dru/Nec/Sor: 67%
    Paladin Smite Damage: 12 To 34
    + (3.75 Per Character Level) 3-371 Defense (Based On Character Level)
    +25% Increased Chance Of Blocking
    35% Faster Block Rate
    Damage Reduced By 35%
    Cold Resist +60%
    Lightning Resist +25%
    +30 To Strength
    Attacker Takes Lightning Damage of 10
    Indestructible
    Ah yes, this also used to be godly. Back in 1.09 you could get your damage reduction all the way to 75%, making anyone into a virtual tank. But those days are long gone. In 1.11 the limit is 50% damage reduction. Still, this shield will get you most of the way there, all by itself. Unlike the chance to block % where you will either completely avoid the attack or take the full force of the attack; damage reduction will always work. You can think of this as having 35% physical damage resistance. Some people still say that damage reduction is just as important to max as the other resistances. I disagree, but that’s a debate you’ll have to settle for your self. This shield still commands a price premium (about a pul-) so I won’t recommend trading for it on a budget. Still, nice defense, great damage reduction%, faster block and some resists all make for a nice shield. The chance to block% isn’t terrible, but you’ll have an extremely hard time trying to go max block with this shield. Socketing it with and eld actually isn’t a bad idea. That will bring your chance to block up to 74% which will really help the max block crowd. If you don’t use the socket for eld, you may want to look into a hel or -15% requirement jewel, because the 156 strength required is huge. The fact that is comes with +30 strength is kinda insulting. Many people will carry some strength charms, or other equipment in order to equip this thing, then they can remove the charms/items and let the +30 strength help keep it equipped. This works, but chance for body popping just isn’t for me. My overall opinion is that you can make this thing work, and work well, but it just takes too much for me.

Blackoak Shield Luna
    Spike Thorn Blade Barrier
    Medusa's Gaze Aegis
    Head Hunter's Glory Troll Nest
    Spirit Ward Ward

I’ll just mention the other elite unique shields in group. Yes they all have high defense, but no not much else. You’ll find some useful mods, but as a whole, none of them can compare to the better ones we’ve mentioned. Just because of their huge defense they are useful only if you can’t get anything else, just watch out for str requirement.

Set Shields

Sigon's Guard
    Tower Shield
    Defense: 22-25 (varies)
    Chance to Block: Pal: 74%, Ama/Asn/Bar: 69%
    Dru/Nec/Sor: 64%
    Paladin Smite Damage: 1 to 5
    Required Level: 6
    Required Strength: 75
    +1 to All Skills
    +20% Increased Chance To Block
    This is below average, but a workable shield, only for the +1 skill. Pretty much the same as Visceratuant, except with lower defense. The blocking % is workable, but still not what you want even for a max block sorc. It’s not worth socketing. Try to find something else before going to hell, but it is workable for NM.

Whitstan's Guard
    Round Shield
    Defense: 154 (Base Defense: 47-55)
    Required Strength: 53
    Durability: 64
    Chance To Block: Pal: 97% Ama/Asn/Bar: 92% Dru/Nec/Sor: 87%
    Paladin Smite Damage: 7 to 14
    +175% Enhanced Defense
    Half Freeze Duration
    40% Faster Block Rate
    +55% Increased Chance Of Blocking
    +5 To Light Radius
    Much to some peoples surprise, this is the best blocking shield out there. I just wish there were some other good mods on it. But, just being a great blocker is good enough – especially on a budget. Go ahead and socket it. Yes, you can use this in hell, just as well as NM. (assuming you don’t want anything else from your shield other than great blocking.)

Rune Word Shields

Here’s a quick review of what I feel are the best options for base shields at 4, 3, and 2 open sockets. The block percent listed are for sorc’s, and the sockets listed are the max possible.

Code:
    	       Defense	Level   Str	%Block	Dur	Sockets Type
    Monarch 	133-148	54	156	42%	86	4	Light
    Troll Nest 	158-173	57	106	40%	74	3	Light
    Grim Shield 	50-151	25	58	40%	40	2	Light
    Ancient's Pledge
    3 Socket Shields
    Ral + Ort + Tal
    +50% Enhanced Defense
    Cold Resist +43%
    Fire Resist +48%
    Lightning Resist +48%
    Poison Resist +48%
    10% Damage Goes To Mana
    Lots of people like to make one of these shields, just because the runes are so easy to come by. Every time you do the 2nd quest in act 5 you’ll get these runes. Let me just point out that 3x Perfect Diamonds in a shield will give you 3x19=57% resist all. You may not get the 50% defense bonus, but its close enough – save these runes for something else.

Rhyme
    2 Socket Shields
    Shael + Eth
    20% Increased Chance of Blocking
    40% Faster Block Rate
    All Resistances +25
    Regenerate Mana 15%
    Cannot Be Frozen
    50% Extra Gold From Monsters
    25% Better Chance Of Getting Magic Items
    This is good cheap shield option. Build this in a high def Grim Shield if you can. I like to keep one of these on switch (along with a gul or alibaba) for MFing. Until you start building the Ist’d shield, this is your best MF choice. It can be used as your main shield if you need to, but there are better options for a main shield.

Sanctuary
    3 Socket Shields
    Ko + Ko + Mal
    +20% Faster Hit Recovery
    +20% Faster Block Rate
    20% Increased Chance of Blocking
    +130-160% Enhanced Defense (varies)
    +250 Defense vs. Missile
    +20 To Dexterity
    All Resistances +50-70 (varies)
    Magic Damage Reduced By 7
    Level 12 Slow Missiles (60 Charges)
    You know, If I want a high resist all shield, I’ll go with Moser’s. An up’d mosers can compete with Sanctuary very well at a fraction of the cost. The +20 dex will be used just trying to keep you blocking % up to the same level as the up’d mosers. Unless you really want the slow missiles and have wealth to waste – pass on this one.

Splendor
    2 Socket Shields
    Eth + Lum
    +1 To All Skills
    +10% Faster Cast Rate
    +20% Faster Block Rate
    +60-100% Enhanced Defense (varies)
    +10 To Energy
    Regenerate Mana 15%
    50% Extra Gold From Monsters
    20% Better Chance of Getting Magic Items
    +3 To Light Radius
    This is a great alternative to the lidless at a fraction of the cost. This is my all time choice for a cheap shield with +1 skill. The blocking % isn’t as good as Visceratuant or Sigon’s, but the defense can be much better and this comes with mana regen and some MF. A clear winner for good cheap shields

Dragon
    3 Socket Body Armor/Shields
    Sur + Lo + Sol
    20% Chance to Cast Level 18 Venom When Struck
    12% Chance To Cast Level 15 Hydra On Striking
    Level 14 Holy Fire Aura When Equipped
    +360 Defense
    +230 Defense Vs. Missile
    +3-5 To All Attributes (varies)
    +0.375-37.125 To Strength (Based on Character Level)
    +50 To Mana (Shields Only)
    +5% To Maximum Lightning Resist
    Damage Reduced by 7
    This about the same as the high defense elite unique shields, great defense, but nothing else. Unless your unique build calls for this one – Pass.

Dream
    3 Socket Helms/Shields
    Io + Jah + Pul
    10% Chance To Cast Level 15 Confuse When Struck
    Level 15 Holy Shock Aura When Equipped
    +20-30% Faster Hit Recovery (varies)
    +30% Enhanced Defense
    +150-220 Defense (varies)
    +10 To Vitality
    +50 To Life (Shields Only)
    +0.625-61.875 To Mana (Based On Character Level)
    All Resistances +5-20 (varies)
    12-25% Better Chance of Getting Magic Items (varies)
    Let me refer you to the comment on the shield above – unless your build calls for it – Pass.

Phoenix
    4 Socket Weapons/Shields
    Vex + Vex + Lo + Jah
    100% Chance To Cast level 40 Blaze When You Level-up
    40% Chance To Cast Level 22 Firestorm On Striking
    Level 10-15 Redemption Aura When Equipped (varies)
    +350-400 Defense Vs. Missile (varies)
    +350-400% Enhanced Damage (varies)
    -28% To Enemy Fire Resistance
    +50 To Life
    +5% To Maximum Lightning Resist
    +10% To Maximum Fire Resist
    +15-21 Fire Absorb (varies)
    For a sorc shield, this thing is really useful for the -28% enemy fire resistance. It works good for a caster, but great for some melee enchantress builds. But this is without a doubt, the most expensive shield out there (4 high runes). I’ll pass, but I’d love to try this on a fireball enchantress – I see a build coming on.

Spirit
    4 Socket Swords/Shields
    Tal + Thul + Ort + Amn
    +2 To All Skills
    +25-35% Faster Cast Rate (varies)
    +55% Faster Hit Recovery
    +250 Defense Vs. Missile
    +22 To Vitality
    +89-112 To Mana (varies)
    Cold Resist +35%
    Lightning Resist +35%
    Poison Resist +35%
    +3-8 Magic Absorb (varies)
    Attacker Takes Damage of 14
    This is without a doubt my favorite shield. At first glance the +2 skills set it above every other shield out there. Then you notice the 25-35% fast cast. Even the lowest possible is better than lidless, and a potential 35%, this will really help hit the high fast cast breakpoints. Lets keep looking. 55% hit recovery – what was blizzard thinking, again this is by far better than everything out there. Now we add in awesome vit and mana along with 35% resist to 3 of the four elements. Four dirt cheap runes and you have an awesome shield. There are two costs associated with it though, and they both have to do with the monarch shield its based in. 156 strength required for the shield is nothing to laugh at, and just finding a 4os monarch will cost you about a pul rune. If you find a white monarch, just spend the socket quest on it, and enjoy.

Wait – you don’t think you can afford that much strength – sure you can, lets take a look. If you’re using War Traveler boot for MFing, then you already need 95 strength, and the boots come with +15 strength which was probably previously wasted on you. That puts your strength at 110 – you still have 46 more to go – this is where a lot of people decide to make do with lidless instead – but stay with me. Yes, 46 extra points into str will cost your sorc exactly 92 life, but look, this awesome shield comes with +22 vit which equals 44 more life. Now you’re only down a cost of 48 life. The 10% to max mana on the lidless is about the same as the +**-112 mana on spirit, lets call that a wash. The lidless has higher def against melee, but lower defense against missiles. Again, that’s about a wash. I’ll also consider the +35% resist to 3 of the 4 elements to be about equal to Um’ing your lidess which will give your 22% resist to all 4 elements.

In the end, I’ll argue that the 55% hit recovery, +1 skill, and +5-15% higher fast cast that spirit monarch has over lidless to be well worth the cost of 48 fewer hit points. If you’re not convinced, try to make up the difference in charms – that’s 1 skill charm for every tree your using to equal the +1 all skills. Those skillers would have to come with 12% faster hit recovery, and you’d still need a lot more hit recovery small chams to make up the difference. Now the +5-15% faster cast rate – um yeah, you can’t do that on a charm, so you’ll have to sacrifice some other piece of your gear to make up the difference.

I also have to love how good it fits with the whole tal set. Tal set + perfect spirit + magefist gloves will hit the 105% fast cast rate and still leave you both rings and boots to equip MF gear. If you can't get a perfect spirit, just sub out 1 ring for a FCR ring (get one with fire resist and strength if you can). If you go Tal set + lidless + magefist, you'll have to dedicate both of your ring slots for fast cast rings (that's a loss of 2x SOJ's or 2x P Nagels, which you just can't make up with charms.)

Conclusion:
    For my money Spirit Monarch is the best sorc shield out there. If you can’t afford a spirit, but still want some skills and fast cast go with a Splendor Troll Nest. If you decided to go max block and all you want it resistance, look to an up’d Whitstan's Guard or Whitstan's Guard.

10. MageChick

Well, I did look at it, but I had decided not to list it. I guess I'll add it in, but I'm just not seeing the types of mods that are needed to be viable in hell, sorry.

Heavenly Garb
    Light Plate
    Defense: 216 (Base Defense: 90-107)
    Required Strength: 41
    +100% Enhanced Defense
    Regenerate Mana 25%
    All Resistances +10
    +15 To Energy
    +50% Damage To Undead
    +100 To Attack Rating Against Undead
    You can easily up this about 500 defense, or even up it twice for about 1000 defense. Uping it twice will put it out of our price range, and that's not really worth it anyway. With only 500 def it just isn't viable in hell. Yes, the mana regen is useful for low-mid level sorcs, but look for better armor before moving on. Don't spend your socket quest here.

*side note - I probably won't do the gloves, boots, and belts for this guide until next week, sorry. I also still need to look at cheap poles for the merc guide. I haven't gotten any reaponse to my post about the IAS breakpoints over in the statistic forum. I'll try PMing RTB this weekend. The short answer may just be to leave the IAS breakpoints for someone else to look into.

11. obiwansbane

obiwansbane Diabloii.Net Member

thnx alot MC... my eth pally shield with +15 to all resist has 4 durability left so i was lookin into shields... and now i am definately gonna go monarch hunting...
    but for the white monarch to get 4 socs... is it a 1/4 chance for it to get the 4 socs?

12. emar

emar Diabloii.Net Member

Find the Monarch in Hell and it is guaranteed max sockets from Lazruk - 4os in this case.

Cube recipe for socketing sheilds - this will give you a 50% chance at 4, and 1/6 chance each of one, two, or three.

13. MageChick

If you need to replace your paly shield - do it with another paly shield, not a monarch. Any of the elite paly shields will give you 4 open sockets with the socket quest just as well. They have better smite damage, resists, lower str requirement, and better defense. The monarch is strictly for non-paly chars.

Do'oh - I just realized that I totally messed up my conclusion on the shield part. The last line is supposed to read go Up'd Moser's or Whistans Guard. I also forgot to mention Viscerate again in the conclusion as a decent, cheap compromise between skills, blocking and resistance. Here's what I should have said - I'll repost when I get everything pieced together.

Conclusion:
    For my money Spirit Monarch is the best sorc shield out there. If you can’t afford a Spirit - try harder. Seriously, if you want some skills and fast cast go with a Splendor Troll Nest. If you want +1 skill and decided to go max block, go Viscerataunt and up it later. If you decided to go max block and all you want is resistance, look to an up’d Moser's or Whitstan's Guard. Finally, if you don't care about skills or blocking (what kind of sorc doesn't?) then a stormshield could work. No matter your choice, uping an exceptional shield buying a stormshield or building a spirit monarch, all the good options cost about a pul.

14. Uncle_Mike

Uncle_Mike D2 PvP Moderator

Dirt cheap sorc (by UncleMike :laugh: )
    (in brackets either cheaper alternatives, lower lvl alternatives or suggestions for future upgrades)

1. weapon - wizzardspike (spectral shard, suicide branch, spirit shield crystal sword/long sword are also good options)

2. armor - vipermagi - hands down the best cheap sorc armor, if has good resistances you can socket it with um rune or shael for fhr - (stealth, smoke)

3. gloves - magefists (trang gloves for cold resistances, gravepalm gloves early on, just for the str bonus, don't overlook rare gloves for stat bonuses)

4. belt - glooms trap/tal belt/rare belt with nice stats

5. boots - waterwalks (any life on them is good), natalya boots if you need resistances, rare boots with dual or triple resistances (light and fire and cold being the most important ones)

6. shield - whitstan's guard - socketed with pdiamond for resistances or eld for better block/Moser's Blessed Circle/visceraunt (stormshield)

7. helm - peasant crown/lore circlet (shako)

8. jewelry - depending on which fcr breakpoint you are aiming either 1 10 fcr ring with stats/resistances or any rare rings you can find that help get maximum resistances or meet str/dex requirements.

amulet - disciple set amu, eye of etlish, rare amu (self crafted amulets are also an option, usually later in the game because of lvl 89 requirement on 2skill ones), 3 to skill tree amulets are available at lvl 45 and can be easily found or gambled (look for secondary mods such as str/dex)

stats
    str - enough for gear
    dex - enough for max block
    vita - rest
    energy - none

The above is for a block sorceress of course.
    It gives you decent resistances, good fcr (105fcr easily attainable), max block and possibly 45% dr (with shako).

some comments: I think it would be a good idea to limit equipment options - those who are knowledgeable know them, those that are new do not need to know them at first I guess. Discussing things such as dragon shields in a guide for beginners dirt cheap gear does not seem a good idea to me.

Also War traveler adds 10str instead of 15.

General remarks - people often tend to underestimate cheap yet very good items -vipermagi and wizzardspike are among the best and most versatile uniques there are - needless to say plenty of people (and it's for a reason) use them in their end game setup and in pvp.

Fcr breakpoints - depending on your build you should aim for 63 fcr or 105 fcr. If the build relies on a timered spell such as blizzard (excellent starter char) 63 is enough.

And final remark to wrap up my 2 cents :D

If this is to be the first char in the new season do not hesitate to spend those stat points. Yes, a few months later the build will probably seem very bad, but it's important that it gets the job done early in the season. Vita max block (and later dr) sorc is a safe char to play and leaves quite some room for mistakes.

Mike

15. Camintoi

Camintoi Diabloii.Net Member

You could get all those super dirt cheap uniques or you can go even cheaper. If your a totally poor you can go magic items iwth faster cast and mana items or just socket things with sapphires. The faster cast will make it so you can teleport safely and the mana will help you so you don't run out. Just make sure not to get hit. You can do meph runs decently cuz you can deleport round fast without dying. The only hing is killing stuff might be slow... This is in my opinion he cheapest poorest bumage way to get through. Just make sure not to get hit so much...

16. Alecz

Alecz Diabloii.Net Member

Re: Decent Dirt Cheap Sorc Equipment

I don't really recommend Long Swords for making spirits. Some sorcs will not go Max Block, and Long swords require some dex.

The best swords for spirit are Crystal and Broad swords.

As for not getting hit much... Max block is the way... hell with defense (unless u use a defiance merc, ofc)

17. leeye84

leeye84 Diabloii.Net Member

I love dirt cheap Sorc builds. Every since 2000 (maybe earlier, my first char has always been a Bliz Sorc).

Bliz Sorc needs only 63fcr to be successful (you're not gonna run chaos or pits, etc. you are gonna run Andy/Meph/Pindle).

Equipment:
    Weapon: Spirit Crystal / Board (most expensive part of the build, even 25% works)
    Shield: Rhyme Bone / Grim (Tal-Eth)
    Armor: 4 flawless topaz gothic plate (P topaz is too expensive, defeating the Dirt Cheap Model)
    Belt: Any +fhr +str belt (make sure it's 4 lines, even 10%fhr combined with 55 from spirit will get you 60+fcr, a decent frame)
    Gloves: magefist
    Ring1: 10fcr
    Ring2: 10fcr
    Ammy: Any
    Boots: Any
    Helm: 3flawless topaz helm / Tarn helm
    Inventory: Resist Charms for Lightning and Cold (Meph)

With this build, you'll get 65 fcr, decent resists, and decent MF. It's as cheap as I can think of.

18. Alc

Alc Diabloii.Net Member

Max block with Spirit monarch is a really bad idea, owing to the amount of dex needed.

Sacrificing Spirit for a more suitable blocking shield (Whitstan's, SS) never made much sense to me either, for PvM. The stats on Spirit are just too nice.

19. Alecz

Alecz Diabloii.Net Member

To leeye84: Tal-Eth Runeword is for armors, not for Shields, rest I aggree with.

To Alc:
    True that the monarch will require a lot of dexterity, but lets consider the equivalent stat points given by the Monarch Spirit:
    22 Vita, 90 Mana (could be more, but lets say its a crappy Spirit) -> 45 Energy.
    So the Spirit gives a total of 67 Stat points.

For the Whitstan's (80% CTB) at clvl 50 you need:
    DEX needed for max block = {(150 * clvl) / blocking} + 15, rounded up
    => 109 dexterity

For Spirit (42% CTB) at clvl 50 adding 67 stat points you get:
    Blocking = [(Blocking * (Dexterity - 15)) / (Character Level * 2)]

176 dex=> Blocking = 67-68% CTB.

Sure you lose some CTB, but you get resists, Skill points, FCR, FHR which still help.

I made more calcualtions and at higher levels it doesn't look pretty at all! For example at clvl 99 the dex required for max block are: 201 for Whitstan, and 369 :shocked: for a Monarch.

I suppose that if you go the energy shield route you'd also go max block, and if you got the Vita route you'd go more with Spirit. This is because the Energy shield path does not need any resists really; some MDR works wonders. Blocking hits will protect the energy shield, and the ES will protect life. However Vita really needs good resists.

All the above are my own opinions and are just theoretical, I haven't actually tested the in-game difference, because I just can't resist the Spirit!

So yeah... max block with spirit is a bad idea especially if you plan to reach high levels with your sorc (70+)

20. leeye84

leeye84 Diabloii.Net Member

Ops, I meant Shael-Eth, or whatever runes to make Rhyme. Thanks for the mistake catch.