Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Debt of friendship?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by DrunkPotHead, May 18, 2005.

1. DrunkPotHead

DrunkPotHead IncGamers Member

Debt of friendship?

Have you ever had an acquaintance that you don't really enjoy hanging out with do a huge favor for you (like introducing you to your significant other) and then suddenly start calling you out of the blue asking you to hang out?

Anyways, what should i do?

2. Moosashi

Moosashi IncGamers Member

I'm not going to give you any specific advice because I think most of your choices suck at some level, but I do think it would be better for both of you in the long run if your friendship was not obligatory.

3. DrunkPotHead

I appreciate your vote of confidence. I also appreciate your constructive criticism.

4. {KOW}Spazed

{KOW}Spazed Banned

Depends, do I just not know the guy very well or do I have some reason to really not like him?

Either way I would probably just hang out with him a bit and if I don't like him then be annoying so he doesn't want to be around me.

5. DrunkPotHead

He just doesn't share any interests with me at all.

6. Amra

Amra IncGamers Member

1) No.

2) Need more info. Did he (?) do this favor expecting a reward? Or did he do it out of an existing relationship with you?

Eh, I guess you don't owe him anything really. Seems like he is looking for people to hang with.

7. Stevinator

Stevinator IncGamers Member

If he's hooking you up with the hotties then why wouldn't you want to hang out with him? Most people horde all their hotties...this guy sounds decent enough...what's wrong with him?

8. Akira

Akira Member

Well I would be nice and try to hang out with him a few times until he realizes that you have nothing in common and stops wanting to hang out with you so much. But be sure to be pleasant the whole time.

9. bustme

bustme IncGamers Member

My guess? If he did that favor expecting something in return, he's not much worthy keeping close as a friend. If not, you have nothing to keep on your conscience. But I would do the decency of hanging out with him once or twice, as long as it's not too repetative. It's not 'too' hard, you do owe him a favor, and maybe you guys can find something in common after all. That, or either you can get seriously preoccupied to something (and posting at the OTF is already taken, btw.:))

How long did you know this guy anyway?

10. CyberHawk

CyberHawk IncGamers Member

Start becoming the slacker friend to him then. When he calls to hang out, ask if he could pay for the food you may buy when your out. Also get togehter like at his house and fall asleep. I mean be nice about it..just do a little complaining about tight money right now and make him be a breadwinner.

But according to your post, you possible could be with the one he invited you meet. Which makes you feel you owe him. Well tell the chick the situation and hopefully she'll understand when you break the guy heart...buy accidently hitting him with your car. ;)

11. myleftfoot

myleftfoot IncGamers Member

Whats the problem? Do you not like him?

Doesn't share any interests? The only interests I share will alot of my mates are drinking and going out. Unless he's wants to marry you I don't see the problem.

have you become infatuated with this girl and want to spend all your time with her and never want to hang out with anyone else because she is the ... blah blah blah. That's your problem.

I really don't see what the issue is here. He just wants to hang out. I would really have to dispise someone to create a thread on an internet forum asking how to get out of hanging out with them.

12. garublador

garublador IncGamers Member

Just make up excuses about why you can't hang out. He'll eventually figure it out and stop calling.

13. distancepieman

distancepieman IncGamers Member

I've had alot of situations like this. I'm a nice guy, and I tend to attract people that can't manage to get any other friends...
    I have a best friend from high school that went off to West Point after graduation and changed a lot. Now every time I talk to him I hear all the same stories about the "cool" things he's gotten to do, and every time he's home he just wants to go out and get trashed. I'm not against partying or anything, but I have school and a nearly full time job, plus my fioncee and I can't just blow off my responsibilities every time he's back.
    The problem is that my senior year of high school I got kicked out of my house and spent that year living with him, so I feel like I owe him for that, but I'm past the point where I feel the need to pay him back.

I'd say to give this guy a some slack for a couple weeks, and if you still don't care much for him, let him know. We're guys here, we can come out and say it. This isn't an uninterested girl and a love sick boy, you don't have to tell him you're washing your hair, just throw it out there. Or just insist on doing things that you like, eventually he'll get bored...lol

~Bails

14. DrunkPotHead

We don't even share that much. He doesn't drink or do anything, he's all about cars and racing. I'm more well-rounded minus the cars the racing.

Not at all. I hang out with all my other friends just as much.

I don't despise him at all. But to be friends with someone, you have to enjoy the time you spend hanging out. I don't.

15. UserMathias

UserMathias IncGamers Member

Pay it forward.

Then there you have it. If he just really wants to talk to someone, then you'll do him that favor; no big deal, eh? But if it turns out that he wants to chill with you regularly, you let the thing drift apart. Which shouldn't be too difficult if you've nothing to talk about in the first place. It's not like you owe him a friendship. A favor, perhaps. But friendship takes time and effort. Don't place effort and you're set.