Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Debating Shockwave

Discussion in 'Druid' started by bunghole, Mar 2, 2004.

1. bunghole

bunghole IncGamers Member

Debating Shockwave

Me and my friend are fighting about whether putting a point into shockwave is a good or bad idea. This is for a pure fire claw bear, and will have 7 plus skills to shape shiftin. I am unsure how useful this move will be in hell. The stun length is reduced 1/4 in hell, and a lvl 8 stun length is only 5.8 secs. Just over one second of stun length, i could barely squeeze out two hits. Am i right?

2. Lone_C

Lone_C IncGamers Member

In my experience with WB's, I've always found Shockwave to be extremely useful, and mine was probably only level 4 or 5 with + skills. Even if it only stuns the monster you're attacking for a second and a half or so, it's also stunning all the enemies around it so they can't hit you (provided of course you know how to aim it). I really can't imagine a WB without it.

3. Tor

Tor IncGamers Member

the stun is the same i believe..they fixed it

I THINK

4. Kirsty

Kirsty The Order of Dii Guild Member

Shockwave is definately worth one point, since it is your only way to affect/control multiple creatures at the same time. Stun length is not decreased by difficulty as far as I know, at least I didn't notice it for my druids.

5. joepublic

joepublic IncGamers Member

you're fighting over one point?!?!??! anyway, it'll be good on your way to hell and while ur in hell it'll keep ur merc alive. it'll keep ur party members alive. and give u something usefull to do while the meteorb crushes all. plus it's used in duels. so, it'll give u the opportunity do duel for the hell of it on occasion. I have 15 points total and i make good use of it.

6. joepublic

er, about the dueling with shockwave, ive read about it and today i tried it AND IT DIDNT WORK. whats up with that?

7. mepersoner

mepersoner IncGamers Member

Uh? Shockwave once and run in for the attack. Oo

8. joepublic

hmm, i guess i hit a rock or lagged. i'll try again.

9. det

det IncGamers Member

Well, barbarians warcry stun length is not cut down in NM or Hell, so I hope its the same with Schockwave.

I can tell you soon, as I will put at least 10 points there.

10. Kirsty

shockwave can be blocked if my memory serves well

11. Strid

Strid IncGamers Member

Yeah, Shockwave is a blockable attack.

I would definitely put a point in Shockwave for a PvM bear. For the PvP bear, I would have second thoughs about it, though. I would probably not do it, though, but if you really want to, it won cripple your build completely.

12. Soepgroente

Soepgroente IncGamers Member

Shockwave is nice in PvP for hitting opponents summons etc.

13. -Ferro-

-Ferro- IncGamers Member

PvM - a must, the only way u can survive in hell vs fire inmunes.

PvP - Still young to try my tactic, ill use ravens and wolves along with shockwave to mess around trappers/wind druids/foh palies/.../chicken runnners :p Dont think wasting 3 points ruin my char if it doesnt works fine at the end. (he, again as I said in other thread, if any1 have tried this tactic, feedback will be appreciated).

14. Kirsty

Somehow I always have shockwave for my pvp werebears, but I hardly ever get ravens. Both are only one point extra.. go figure. I just don't like the squawks ;) As said, one point can never really hurt.

Shockwave is one way to find out if a characer has bad faster hit recovery or not. If you see a very quick recovery then it may not be useful to use it too often during the duel and you can continue with more direct tactics, rather than this 'defensive' approach.

Shockwave is can be applied if an opponent comes at you from a distance. In such a case you will often have enough time to cast it twice. If stun kicks in go for the attack and you will have the first strike. If your opponent runs up to you their blocking will be 1/3rd so shockwave will kick in more easily than when they are standing right next to you. Hence also, if they are walking, standing still or in melee range, it my not be best to cast shockwave to get the stun in. You'll have stun from your maul as well.

Against ranged characters it may be difficult to get your maul attack to hit (eventhough you may be a firebear, maul is often/always used to get some stun delivered). Then another way to use it is when you are trying to catch up with these running or teleporting characters. If you manage to get a stun they'll be locked in place for a brief enough time to allow an attack. If you're good on timing you may even disrupt their castings and teleportation. You will have to learn to time the shockwave well enough because overall cast rate for a melee bear is slow and they'll run out of range pretty fast. Even if you have had a lot of practice it won't always work either, but be proud if you manage it at least a few times each duel.

When you are locked in a boneprison you may not do enough damage to get out right away. Since you can't teleport out of it in bearform you can try to shockwave your opponent if you're lucky enough that he is in range. That can stun him/her long enough for you to break teh boenprison.
    I've had a lot of lucky breaks where I used a sequence of shockwave - attack boneprison - shockwave - attack bone prison, in order to get out of it and whack the opponent silly. Of course it immediately tells you that s/he was not optimised and has very bad faster hit recovery. Future usage of shockwave is then suggested.

There are more applications, like minion stunning which are pretty much straight forward, but there are also ideas that are a bit hard to describe. Try some things every now and then and I'm certain you'll find some use for shockwave that fits your dueling style.

15. sawse

sawse IncGamers Member

In pvm, does shockwave stun champion monsters? Unique monsters? The minions of unique monsters?

16. -Ferro-

-Ferro- IncGamers Member

Stund stands for quite long time, as Thor said they should have fixed it, I can stund and kill 5 mosters in hell chaos sanct b4 they "wake up". And its very very usefull in party since you can stund in several shoots a lot of boys and ur team&u can kill them all w/o geting hit, shooted, poisoned....figure for yourself.

It does not stunds unique/bosses, tho it works vs minions and champions.

17. sawse

sawse IncGamers Member

Ah thank you, that is exactly what I was wondering.