Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

DeathMaster's Mostly naked tournament partII

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by DeathMaster, Jan 28, 2004.

1. DeathMaster

DeathMaster IncGamers Member

DeathMaster's Mostly naked tournament partII

seem like the first thread was gone, so everyone whos running please update your state.

My necro Lord_Darkness is ready to lost city (act2), at lvl24, he is pretty good, but the claw viper (and other bone spear breath monsters) will post some trouble I guess, let's see who is stronger.

If anyone need to refresh with the rules, let me know.

2. jiansonz

jiansonz IncGamers Member

Aye, Sir!

Venus, fledgling Traps Assassin, reports being alive and well at level 18, having cleared up to and including Jail level 1.

A question: my rings, amulets and gems are really piling up (and I only keep the three gem types I treasure the most!). As soon as I reach act 2, I want to make a beeline for the Horadric Cube. Is that OK or were we supposed to play all areas/quests in the "normal" order? I want to run through the desert and only clear Halls of the Dead. After I have the Cube, I will go back and play areas in the "normal" order.

3. DeathMaster

I think you have to do all quests before move on. you don't have to clean all areas, just need to get all waypoints. I had similar problem, but instead, I sold almost all rings, amulets, only keep what I use (there will be better ones), and keep only chips, and as many rej posion as possible, before I got the cube, I sold quit few rej posions to make space. did you gamble a belt which can hold 3 rolls of posion? if not, do so, it will free up some space. I'm looking forward to get a belt can hold 4 rolls, but not in act2.

4. jiansonz

I guess I have different priorities...

3-row belt? Not unless I happen to find charms or other stuff that give me a total of +5 STR. Belts require 25 STR, you know. But that´s no problem. I decided to only keep 4 rejuves and sell the rest. I´ll find more rejuves later. The rare Light Belt I´m currently using would make a decent upgrade, actually. Sharkskin Belts holds 16 potions and only require 20 STR.

The rings and amulets have a higher priority than any gems. Cubing 60+ of them into new rings/ammy with a level 20+ character usually gives me a few decent rings with mana, MF or resists.

5. DeathMaster

My necro reached his max str, at 60 (to wear a plate belt), and no more. So all rest goes vit. I didn't get any decent ring/amulet, so no big lost for me. gamble rings req too much gold which i don't have.

Anyway, my necro made his way to act3, at lvl27, I may need to stay there for a while, more lvl before any big fight.

6. kramph

kramph IncGamers Member

Tourney Update:

Puzz the Barb is heading out to find the cube. Things got better once I was able to gamble a decent Great Axe, and got a Defiant Desert Mercenary. I also found Hsarus Iron Heel.

Puzz is 21st level.

7. DeathMaster

Good to see someone else is still alive.

my update: Lord_Darkness make 3/4 to lvl30, he got a really bad map in act3, so far the map is not good at all. His fire arrow merc made lvl29 as well, but she usually block the way, bad girl.

8. jiansonz

Good progress, it seems. Well done!

But how can a map be "bad"? I don´t understand... Do you mean you drew enemies that are difficult for you, when you would have had an easier time with other possible enemies?

Don´t be discouraged if I don´t update very often. I am in five tourneys at the moment. I might play some areas with Venus this evening, though.

It is probably a good idea to list the rules again, to get more people to play in the tournament.

9. DeathMaster

well, act3 is my most hated act, I jus hate the jungle. this time, my map is just: from spider forest, there is NO WAY to next flyer forest at all, I had to full clean spider forest AND great marsh to find the way out, each time i get the jungle, I had to walk a long way to the next point (WP position too bad).

Mind you that I usually rush the jungle, just get the WP, and next area, this time I was forced to full clean, otherwise, can't find the way. Did I say I hate act3?

Anyway, here is the rules:

1) must be HC
    2) ban pally and zon build. no body armor & shield allowed. all build can have amulet, rings, boots (any class).
    3) do all quests before move to next act, must get all way point. "Betrayal of Harrogath" is the only quest you can skip, but must get the WP there.
    4) Necro, druid, and assassin must be weaponless. Sorce must use a staff match her selection screen (the one you create a new char), barb must use a 2 hand axe (any class). Necro and assassin can have a leather gloves, barb, sorc, druid are not allowed to have gloves. Druid can have a circlet class headgear only, no other build can wear headgear. all build can have a belt (any class).
    5) use merc freely
    6) no mule in, but can mule out, so only use what you find.
    7) you can MF, use Esc to avoid death, revisit areas.
    8) no MP game
    9) use skills/items freely as you fit, as long as follow rules 1 to 8.

Hope I didn't miss anything.

10. jiansonz

OK, that explains it better. You wanted a map where Spider Forest connects with Flayer Jungle and the Great Marsh is a long dead end you don´t have to visit.

We had different priorites earlier and also different taste, it seems. :D
    Myself, I LOVE the Kurast jungle areas! They are my second favourite areas in the whole game, beaten only by Kurast Sewers.

11. jiansonz

Venus the Trapper got played a little bit today. She gained one more level playing Jail level 2-3 and the Cathedral. Progress is very easy with the poison damage from the mercenary and the overpowered Shadow Warrior. The Shadow has never even been close to dying in battle. Not even Pitspawn´s pack could do much to her.

To illustrate how badly I need the Horadric Cube, I am going to list what I have in store now. There are 14 free spaces in inventory. Since I sell everything that is worth at least 50 gold per space (yes, that includes Light Mana Potions, Keys, Maces, Superior Skull Caps, etc.), I go to town about every 20 steps. It will only get worse during the Catacombs, as I usually find lots of stuff there.

I have:
    * Arctic Binding
    * a Jewel of Freedom
    * an Eld rune
    * 13 chipped amethysts
    * 10 chipped emeralds
    * 1 flawed and 4 chipped topazes
    * 25 rings
    * 13 amulets

Help!! (I would hate wasting anything. It already hurt to sell all skulls, rubies, sapphires, diamonds and jewels)

12. DeathMaster

I would do something about those rings and amulets, do you really need that many? I have saved about 4 rings, 2 amulets, but so far never need them yet, and I continue to find "better" ones (nothing really good) to replace what I've saved. One more tip for you, since we are not going to have runeword (no item to use them), so mule all runes out, I muled all runes I found on the way, and made 2 ITH, not too bad. You may rush finishing act1, then revisit as you want, there is no rules against revisit.

I just found my biggest problem for my necro build. His base Dex is too low (I don't need block, so no need to waste any points there), but at base lvl + charms (30 total), I cannot smash the orb (act3) 'cos I cannot use that damn "weapon" once I got it. My current object is to find a charm give me at least 5 more Dex.

13. steelsixtyIV

steelsixtyIV IncGamers Member

The_Woodsmen is currently lvl 22 at the Dry Hills WP. I have the cube and the next stop is the maggot lair.

14. jiansonz

The rings and amulets are there to cube new ones (with the "3 to 1" recipes) once I get the cube.

I will make a run for the cube once I reach act 2.

Oh, I am SO going to use runewords, for my barbarian mercenary. And I will need lots of runes for all the caster gear I am going to craft (that´s why I keep the amethysts, too).

15. DeathMaster

The dark necro Lord_Darkness collected the black book, now must have a rest, he made lvl31 BTW. Now is the heart, and the +Dex charm. Beware The ruined temple entry. I had to use Esc to escape twice there.

16. jiansonz

OK, Venus has got the Cube, which solved her inventory troubles. I can breathe again...

I found the stairs to Catacombs 2 before meeting a single monster, so I skipped Catacombs 1 for later.

Andariel chewed up about 10 shadows but had no chance whatsoever to threaten Venus or Fiona.

I ran straight for Halls of the Dead and got the cube. Did I get some use out of all those jewelry pieces (30 rings and 14 amulets) I had kept? I think so. I cubed:

* a ring with 15% Lightning Resistance and Faster Cast
    * a Felicitous Ring of Chance (23% MF)
    * a Fortitous Amulet (12% MF)

I have gambled some good gear lately:

* Leather Gloves of Fortune (25% MF)
    * Coral Sash (Resist Lightning 30%)
    * Rare Boots with 10% Faster Run, Resist Fire 25%, Resist Cold 25%, 10% MF.

The boots are particularly nice. Not bad for a level 21 gamble. :D

I returned to Catacombs 1 and cleared them. Then I went on to take out Lut Gholein Sewers. Same tactics against Radament as I had against Andariel: shadow tanks and Fiona shoots poison arrows. No problem.

The gameplay is very simple at the moment. I just lead my two minions around and they kill stuff (Fiona now uses a Composite Bow with 2 regular Emeralds (one socket is still empty) and she still has that poison jewel in her helm. That makes for a very strong poison, even for players 8.). Sometimes I assist with a few Wakes of Fire or some Dragon Tails (I found a cold charm which makes the kicks chill enemies, which is good.). But I have a small mana reserve so that doesn´t happen often. Venus is level 22 now and still has all stat points into Vitality. Almost 400 life now.

17. kramph

kramph IncGamers Member

Puzz the Barbarian died while in the Maggot Lair. He got himself surrounded and had no way out. Having no armor to speak of and trying to hit things with a big axe has a very, very short life expectancy. :xx: Shout and a Defiance merc helped, but it wasn't enough.

Puzz - 22nd level Barbarian - Maggot Lair - RIP

18. DeathMaster

Sorry to hear that. My necro met his biggest problem, he can't kill diablo, tried few times, still no luck, big D kills all skeleton at one or two hits (his complete attackless at his lvl, 1-3 pouch damage, no skeleton means no way to kill big D).

19. jiansonz

Don´t you have any direct damage, like Bone Spear?
    If you have a golem and Iron Maiden (or even Bone Wall/Prison and Iron Maiden) you can take down Diablo with that. Otherwise, I can´t help you.

Back in 1.09, I had a necromancer that only used curses. He defeated Normal Diablo with his mercenary, a Fire Rogue with a bow with two perfect emeralds. I Decrepified Diablo and ran away as soon as he got poisoned. She died 9 times but she killed Diablo in the end. But now that poison works the same on ranged weapons than on melee ones, many more hits would have been needed. I think about 4x as many, so that tactic is probably out of the question, too.

Venus, fledgling Traps Assassin, is cruising along nicely. She has now got a taste of what is going to be two of her most important skills, Lightning Sentry and Mind Blast. She has the Viper Amulet and is ready to enter Jerhyn´s palace, at level 25.

20. DeathMaster

Lord_Darkness is fishy build, so no direct damage at all, the best damage: lvl 1 teeth, and pouch. Anyway, he is running for more lvl at act4. He's gonna be there for awhile.