Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Death

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by SaroDarksbane, Sep 7, 2006.

1. SaroDarksbane

SaroDarksbane IncGamers Site Pal

Death

I'm going to die.

Everyone knows that he or she will die, but I think, when we are young, it is hidden in the back of our minds, or at least it was for me. The entire concept has really just hit home in the past few months (what Frank Herbert would call the "sudden realization of my own mortality"), and I find myself preoccupied with the concept.

I'm going to die.

How strange that concept it is, to not exist. At times I can't wrap my head around it, and yet it's always there.

I look down at my hands, the same hands that have served me all my life, and I can't help but imagine how they will look in 50 years. Will I be lying in a hospital bed, hooked to an oxygen tank, and awaiting my last breath while I study these same hands, now wrinkled, loose, and dying?

I see an old person on the street, and I am suddenly struck with a profound sense of loss. I wonder at all the things they've seen and done. The many things they've figured out over years of struggle. And then I realize that the experience, wisdom, and feelings they carry will never really be known to anyone else. To spend an entire lifetime learning and growing, only to have it all disappear in an instant.

I'm going to die.

And what's strange to me, is that it doesn't seem to bother some people, and I don't know if that's because they haven't really contemplated it yet, or because they have, and have ended up at some conclusion that I can't come to grips with.

Do you struggle with death?

2. SaroDarksbane

SaroDarksbane IncGamers Site Pal

"What Sara Said" - Plans - Death Cab for Cutie

And it came to me then that every plan
    Is a tiny prayer to father time
    As I stared at my shoes in the ICU
    That reeked of piss and 409
    And I rationed my breaths as I said to myself
    That I’ve already taken too much today
    As each descending peak on the LCD
    Took you a little farther away from me
    Away from me

Amongst the vending machines and year-old magazines
    In a place where we only say goodbye
    It stung like a violent wind that our memories depend
    On a faulty camera in our minds
    And I knew that you were a truth I would rather lose
    Than to have never lain beside at all
    And I looked around at all the eyes on the ground
    As the TV entertained itself

‘Cause there’s no comfort in the waiting room
    Just nervous pacers bracing for bad news
    And then the nurse comes ‘round and everyone lift their heads
    But I’m thinking of what Sarah said
    That love is watching someone die

3. Module88

Module88 IncGamers Member

There's your problem. You assume that you can't make a difference in other people's lives, and consequently, you will simply disappear when you die. Even if you're not religious, that's not necessarily true.

Hell, take a look at Steve Irwin. Damn, did he have fun or what? But when it came down to his death, millions people- many of whom never actually knew him or met him, mourned at his death. He brought many a lessons of conservation to people, including a friend of mine, who's majoring in Zoology because of him. He made a difference, and even though he's dead, he's certainly not gone. Ultimately, I've realized that death isn't something to be feared or sought out for. It's simply something inevitable.

But what I can do is try to make a difference in people's lives, and in this world, until then. Having a high sense of duty and honor, I personally feel that I couldn't ask for more than a death in service to others. I see it as a moral obligation (for myself) and a personal duty. Until that time, however, there's much to be done. People to meet. Things to learn. Lessons to pass down. How could death, be a horrible thing? It is a teacher, if anything. The lessons I've given to others will only be reinforced by death. Death makes people reflect and think back about what they learned from the deceased, and it will teach them mortality- and the importance of giving to others what you gave to them.

My two cents.

4. bg1256

bg1256 IncGamers Member

I've been thinking a lot about death lately too... kinda strange that's what occupying my thoughts, but that is how it has been.

Death is scary, even though I do believe in an after-life of some sort. I've been bothered by the question: What if everything I believe about death and the afterlife is wrong? What if the universe is an amoral accident, and I simply cease to exist after death?

I sincerely hope I'm not completely wrong, and I guess there is no way to know for sure, until I die...

5. Ariadne

Ariadne IncGamers Member

I suppose it's easier when you age quick. My face looks rather young but for the rest my skin looks very aged, my legs being the worst. In fact they look like the legs belonging to an elderly lady. I've seen women in their sixties who look younger than I do.
    So you can look at your hands and wonder what they look like in 50 years, but I already know what mine will be like because I age faster.

Death isn't so scary at all. You think about it now because you're realising for real that one day, it'll be all over. But when you grow older, you will find it easier to think about, it no longer consumes you.

Nothing terrible will happen after you die. I know that for sure.

6. thejdawg2

thejdawg2 IncGamers Member

A Buddhist monk once told me.

"For every problem, either there is a solution, so there's no need to worry. Or there's not a solution, so there's no need to worry."

Stress and worry are just going to make you die all that much sooner.

7. buttershug

buttershug IncGamers Member

everytime someone dies it's as if a library burned down.
    Said by someone or other.

8. Ariadne

Ariadne IncGamers Member

:sad2: not the library I work in I hope? :wink:

9. Sir EvilFreeSmeg

Sir EvilFreeSmeg Banned

I'm too pickled to die. They're just going to prop me up by the jukebox and let me grow mold.

10. Star Dust

Star Dust IncGamers Member

Death is to be accepted.

I think death gives meaning to life. What is life but that which is ephemeral, which passes away? How do you differentiate a spider from a rock? Does a rock struggle to get food? Does it struggle at all?

We struggle to perpetuate ourselves in the face of our inevitable demise. Death is guaranteed by being alive. But there's more to it than just that, especially for a human being. You get to experience joy and the suffering that gives joy meaning. You learn from your mistakes, you enjoy your experiences, you grow and see yourself and other things change.

I do not want immortality. I want finality, closure. Every minute of my life means something because it is a step closer to the end. Immortality sucks the purpose out of life. And really, doing anything for eternity would get boring fast.

"Because I have loved life I shall have no sorrow to die." - Amelia Burr

11. Sir EvilFreeSmeg

Sir EvilFreeSmeg Banned

Remember kiddies, life is hard. Then you die.

12. Isolde212

Isolde212 Banned

Surprisingly enough death is the only thing that does not scare me one bit. At least in speaking of my own death. I don't like thinking of my family and friends dying or even being sad with my death. But all in all I know it's a certainty and I faced that a long time ago. Besides I'll be dead what do I care? What I fear is that I will not my life to the best that I can.

13. Merick

Merick IncGamers Member

It's scares me like nothing else, so I avoid fully contimplating it.

14. Sir EvilFreeSmeg

Sir EvilFreeSmeg Banned

The wife is curently working in home health care. A common theme amongst the old people is not a fear of death itself but the act of dying itself.

Me, I want to die by being shot by a jealous boyfriend when I'm 121 years old. Sometime early in January 2100 would be fine.

15. kobold

kobold Banned

The concept of death itself does not scare me. I am firm in my beliefs of what is to come.

There are ramifications surrounding my death that concern me from time to time, such as: would my children be supported if I were to die sooner rather than later; will my wife be ok (a certain forumite is in charge of making sure these things happen, I suppose...); etc. etc.

Aside from hoping that it isn't at an inconvenient time, for the above reasons (how's that for a selfish thought?), I'm not concerned about it. Not that I'm looking forward to leaving loved ones here, but I am expecting it to be a certain way.

If it turns out that I am wrong, and we just cease to exist, then I guess it won't matter, will it?

16. Merick

Merick IncGamers Member

So you're not making your boyfriend jealous now, but plan to when you're 121?

17. UserMathias

UserMathias IncGamers Member

I personally look forward to death. I enjoy life on the whole, but I'll be glad when it's over and I won't have to keep on doing stuff for others or continuously looking for new ways to amuse myself. What can I say? I get jaded easily and I'm lazy.

I know the last few moments will be terrifying, and my self-preservation instinct will kick in screaming "I don't wanna die!". I know I'll panic, and then I'll be praying to God (in whom I don't usually believe) and all that jazz. But it's just not that scary any more, once you've been there a few times.

18. kobold

kobold Banned

I didn't think that round trip tickets were available. :wink3:

19. KiL

KiL IncGamers Member

I also have devoted a good deal of thought on the subject of death. And for me, even being relatively young right now, it doesn't seem to hold any fear. All organic things on Earth die, but there is constant life, I think that the indiviualistic mindset that so many humans pride is sometimes a detriment; this feeling of detachment from the whole. I mean, we could possibly be the laughing stock of the entire planet, the only species to do more destruction than creation and the only ones who don't know their purpose.

Right now I am actually taking a literature class titled: Death and Dying. It exaimines mostly the process of dying through certain books such as: Tuesdays with Morrie (of course), The Undertaking, The Death of Ivan Illich, Something Wicked This Way Comes (definitly one of my favorites of all time) and others. It is really interesting to hear other classmates perspectives. The worst joke you can ever play on yourself is to not put any thought into the only absolute definite fact of your existence.

Lately for other classes we have been reading Origin texts, usually of the religious nature. I don't really have a denominal religion myself, but more of an amaglam life philosophy of what I like, mostly drawn from the eastern religions because they are simple and more focused on ideas. Here is one of the excerpts from the Mahabharata that I really liked today:

"Never have I not existed,
    nor you, nor these kings;
    and never in the future
    shall we cease to exist"
    -Lord Krishna

That also brings to mind how we are so hung up on the completely fabricated concept of time. Does there really have to be a beginning or an end?

20. HockeyChic

HockeyChic Banned

I'm with Merick on this one. I've always felt this way. I believe that there is a form of afterlife, just don't know what that is. In the past 3 years I've had 3 people who were very close to me die--My sister-in-law, 44 yrs old Lupus, July 2004--My father, 68 yrs old, cardio pulmonary disease/emphysema, July 2005--My Grandmother, 96 yrs old, old age. The only one I wasn't angry about was my Grandmother. She had a long, very good life. No illnesses, no surgeries until she was 94 and had her gall bladder out.
    As for my dad and sister-in-law, they were, IMO, too young and still should be here. I worry for them, what they went through in those final moments. Unfortunately, there is only one way to know the answer to that and I’m not willing to find out.