Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Dear god, is this serious?

Discussion in 'Barbarian' started by Quietus, Sep 15, 2006.

1. Quietus

Quietus IncGamers Member

Dear god, is this serious?

So, here's the story - I found a pair of ethereal deathbits, and inherited another. I kept looking at these, thinking to myself, "Well, those are pretty cool - I should upgrade them and make a throwbarb!"

However, the fact that they're seen as underpowered always turned me off from the idea. Then I got hold of a matched pair of ethereal lacerators, and couldn't hold off the urge any longer.

So, I upgraded the deathbits, and started working on the barb. I was surprised to find that at low levels I was banging out a hundred damage easily with a few +min damage items and a pair of plain old throwing knives. I thought that it wouldn't last, but as I kept leveling, and bought magical throwing items in act 2, the damage kept growing. 150, 200... I worked my way up to act 4, and found my progress slowing down, so I leveled myself to 25 and picked up a couple sets of hurlbats in act 2 hell through another char. Slapped the ones requiring level 25 on (I'd picked up a couple of convenient Cruels that popped up, a cruel hurlbat of hibernation and a cruel war dart of maiming, if memory serves), damage went to 380 in one hand, 300 in the other. ... Wow. This at level 25? I was amazed, to say the least.

That carried me into late act 5, and I was clearly amazed by the damage. Other people in my party were shocked by my effectiveness, too, particularly when the paladin in the party used concentration and I had almost 900/800 damage. Wow. .... And then I hit level 43, and my cruels came available. Slapped those on, damage without concentration instantly jumped up to 1800 each hand. WOW.

I was looking at this, jaw on the floor... I've since levelled myself to 51, maxed out double swing (it's the only damage synergy to double throw), and throw mastery, been pumping my dex, and I'm pumping out just short of 3k damage now. With my cruels.

Now note... this is with my cruels. They each have approximately 128 max damage. My upgraded ethereal deathbits come available in four levels and pack around 228 max. I'm already pumping almost 3k damage right now, and I'm going to almost DOUBLE that????

Not only that - but I'll also be wearing highlord's, which with throw mastery will pump my critical hit rate to around 85% - meaning I'm expecting 6 or 7k max damage when fully equipped, with a good chance of doubling that to 12 or 14. And if I throw a few lacerators first to trigger amplify damage, that'll double it again - this seems ridiculous! 24 or even 28k damage? HOLY CRAP!!!

*Bows* I'll never call throwbarbs underpowered again..

2. Kiba

Kiba IncGamers Member

hah nice damage for a low lvl , throw barbs look like they can be very fun in pvm =)

3. Quietus

Quietus IncGamers Member

Yeah, really. I'm... astounded. My weapons aren't even anything particularly great - if built for pvp, I have no doubt that it'd be possible to build an absolutely retardedly powerful MLD throwbarb. So. So. Crazy. With perfect gear and stat placement, I could be packing 4-5k damage already, I'm certain of it. .. Just wow.

4. dokuro

dokuro IncGamers Member

I've always loved throwbarbs or as I call em, "Tossers" (XD). Had a great time playing a few in single player.

5. sirwhere

sirwhere IncGamers Member

Welcome to the unearthed world of the throw barb :)

Done that in single player, where no amplify nor elite uniques were available. It was still the most painless breeze through hell I've ever had.

Here's some hints:
    - Put a point in grim ward for crowd control.

- Best merc is probably freeze, though defiance is ok too.

- Taunt ranged attackers so that they stop shooting at you.

- Howl at monsters if they come too close to you.

- 100-150 vita is enough. Str for holding weps, rest dex for more damage and AR.

- It's not a bad idea to put 10 into shout to increase merc survivability.

- I didn't try this, but the corpse expl charges of corspemourn unique ornate seem nice to me in 1-2 ppls games.

- For once, knockback and 'hit causes monster to flee' are GOOD mods. Howltusk helm is a possibility. Coif of Glory comes to mind too.

- Laying of hands and Ghoulhide gloves roxxor :) Alternate them according to abundance of demons/undead. This is better than the slowdown and knockback of Cleglaw's.

- Gimmershreds on weapon switch take care of phys immunes.

It's a very versatile build, with lots of solutions for handling the hardest baddies.

6. Rabbitz

Rabbitz IncGamers Member

Already made a mld thrower barb :)

The fun part is getting some nice ed/ 40%ias so you can surprise folks with ww :D

7. Uvatha

Uvatha IncGamers Member

Yup they are fun. But Ive heard that the Character screen shows a damage that is not actually the right damage. I dont know for sure, never tested it myself, just read that somewhere, a couple of days ago in this forum.
    //edit//found the thread//
    Check this:
    http://forums.diabloii.net/showthread.php?t=495048

8. Quietus

Quietus IncGamers Member

Awww, that's a shame. I'll have to ask someone in the statistics forum, I guess.

As an update - I slapped on fort, and now my damage at level 59 is showing as 8.7k each hand. Still only running the 40% deadly strike from the deathbits, but it's still more than enough. Owning nightmare like no one's business, and scaring a LOT of people in the process =P

9. Uvatha

Uvatha IncGamers Member

Cool. Link me to it, please, I like playing my thrower too, and it would nice to know that info.

Heh, this is fun indeed... Even if the damage is really messed up on char screen, the throwers do very good.

10. gasher

gasher IncGamers Member

Who ever cares how well thowers do in NM, it lasts only like 4 hours what it takes to get to hell where your build is really tested. I guess though that thrower still good or maybe even only viable choice for barbarians in hell. Because of those pesky MB and IM monsters you dont want to get up close and personal with anything. Anyways, you always want to have one point in warcry though. If everything else fails, you can 'hold' monsters locked while your teammates work on them.

11. Uvatha

Uvatha IncGamers Member

Well, I dont care either how well it can do on nm... I was meaning in hell. And, oh, Ive got no point in warcry... you dont really need it.
    Regarding it being the only viable choice in hell... are you serious?

12. sir goatscelot

sir goatscelot IncGamers Member

There is a Mastery bug that calculates Throw dmg in error. Actual dmg is roughly 1/3 of LCS. When you add Fort or other outside ED, the numbers are crazy..from say 5k to 8k..not possible really.

That being said, reaching 4k dmg is possible and at 5 axes/sec, is more than Hell viable. Imho, eth Lacerators is the way to go..speed, dmg, amp, ow and even crowd control with hcmtf. Just equip him with the same items you would with a melee build..Ds, Ow, Cb, etc etc.

A more well rounded build would be to take advantage of the Dswing synergy, at the exspense of some ar and dex, in the following way:

20 Axe, Throw, and 20 Bo
    10 for Bash, Ds, and Double Throw
    1 each in the one point wonders..Is, Nr etc

It works..trust me ;)

13. RetroStar

RetroStar IncGamers Member

and 2x gimmer just incase of physical immunes.

just a thought.

14. Quietus

Quietus IncGamers Member

I'm going to pack dual eth upgraded deathbits primarily, for the relative cheapness (compared to eth warshrikes, yikes!) and deadly strike, and have eth lacerators on switch. Amp = no problems with phys immunes.

15. Bladewind

Bladewind IncGamers Member

i have 1 eth warshrike and i say im loving it. :D

16. sirwhere

sirwhere IncGamers Member

Don't forget your Razortail belt for piercing attack. If you play on non-ladder, get a 1.08 one, which has 50% chance of piercing (the 1.09 version has only 33%).

17. Quietus

Quietus IncGamers Member

I would, but I need the mods on my Nosferatu's coil - the ias lets me hit a breakpoint, the strength lets me equip things, and the life leech keeps me alive. Besides, I don't think that a 33% chance of peircing would be all that spectacular. If I had dual eth warshrikes, then absolutely, I would find a way to make up the life leech somewhere else. 83% peircing is more notable than 33%.