Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

dealing with cold immune

Discussion in 'Sorceress' started by imrsorc, Apr 19, 2005.

1. imrsorc

imrsorc IncGamers Member

dealing with cold immune

I am about to make my first sorc since i stopped playing for a few months. I want to make a mainly MF and rushing sorc, so am obviously thinking of going through the ice tree. I was thinking of either making a pure blizz sorc or a blizz/fire wall sorc. I was wondering how the experienced players out there deal with cold immunes if they've only explored one tree? Also, could someone please tell me what the idea equipment is for a pure blizz sorc? Thanks.

2. atigdng

atigdng IncGamers Member

Normally if you just have a pure build of some sort your options are limited to deal with CI. Your merc is your best bet if equiped well just stand off and let him kill them. But lots of people just avoid them and run areas that don't have CI's. personally I would go the firewall route but it would mean your running speed may decrease.

For equipment you should have any items with +skilld is what you want. there are lots of options and I have never played a pure blizzard sorc but you could check out the guide thread for proper items.

3. Stimm

Stimm IncGamers Member

If your sorc is going to be mainly an MF sorc orb or blizzard is the way to go. Some of the best MF areas [ Meph | Andariel | Ancient tunnels | Mossoleum ] have very few cold immunes if any at all. If you do encounter the stray cold immune and you just have to kill it , a good merc is best bet but I usually just pass them by

4. Liliel

Liliel IncGamers Member

I'd go with the Firewall route, personally. I hate having to severely limit what areas to go to, just because of immunes.

You should be able to get like 4k damage per blizzard shard (not including CM) and near 10k per second firewall. HF or defiance merc recommended. Barb merc is not recommended due to knockback.

Items you might want to look out for is a Nightwings Veil spired helm (why there are two unique spired helms, I don't know), Snowclash battle belt, and Death's Fathom dimensional shard (ladder only).

5. batuchka

batuchka IncGamers Member

Hi apologies but i am new to the sorc char :p I tried to access the sorc library on guides to make a Blizz-Fire sorc so i won't have much immunity problems in Hell but the link is like a wild goose chase lol- so what skills to max out and i was going with a Holy Freeze merc with Reaper Toll for ctc Deceprify, Duriels and Tals Mask. Thks to anyone who could enlighten me :D

6. melianor

melianor D3 Wizard Moderator

The links now work correctly again. Error was due to the forum split.

7. batuchka

batuchka IncGamers Member

Ah thank you! Wow the Blizzard-Fireball guide by Milady's Knight seems to address what i'm looking for :D Hmm would you guys think its a good build for a beginner w.r.t to sorc class?

8. melianor

melianor D3 Wizard Moderator

Fireball and Blizzard are both skills that you can use if you are not yet the perfect teleporter. Blizzard will nicely slow monsters so you can get an overview over the mobs. That build will really start to shine with alot of +skills from, which you might not have yet. Otherwise i'd say, 'Go for it!'.

9. HCTwinJava

HCTwinJava IncGamers Member

almost mandatory for your goals.

here is what I read:

- you just restarted again
    - you want your sorc to do both MF and rush

pure blizzard sorc: is okay for MF, not very item dependent, but as a rusher, she will have problems even in NM due to CI. And is a bad rusher in Hell (just try to rescue Cain with a blizz sorc starting at Black Marsh and see how it may very well turn out to be your merc rescuing Cain for her)

blizzard/fire wall: again is roughly ok for MF, not very item dependent, but will be a slow rusher.

blizzard/fire ball: this one is good all around. But is much more item dependent, because fire ball (glacial spike/ice ball) will drain mana very fast, unless you have the gear to make up for it.

orb/meteor: I believe this is the one to go for: as a MF'er, she's as good as any blizz sorc. As a rusher, she needs good gear but is not as item dependent as a fire ball build. Also, orb is much more useful than blizz or fire ball in fast rushing games, because every orb can cover a large area.
    Consider this: Bliz falls from above, and Orb pushes forward - a good rusher goes offensive most of the time and must have good crowd control. Obviously, it is orb, not Bliz, that fits the rushing style better. Since a Meterorb sorc typically does more fire dmg than a bliz/FB sorc, she typically has better crowd control (or area control).

Note: I'm not saying Bliz/FB sorc cannot do rush. She's just less efficient than a Meterorb sorc built with both MF/rush in mind.

(recently I restarted to play d2x from scratch, all my accounts expired. After I went through entire game in HC once again, I switched to SC, and built an asn and an ama. They went through the game untwinked. Based on the help of my asn and ama, I built a bliz sorc with MF in mind. When it was time to have a fast rusher, I built a Meterorb sorc. she's lvl 78 right now. for the purpose of helping her merc level up, she's done the rush from norm act1 to hell act1 three times. As a rusher, my asn is nearly as fast as my bliz sorc, and my Meterorb is 2x faster than either asn or bliz sorc most of the time. Because she kills pretty fast in mediocre gear, she turned rushing (merc leveling) into MF'ing and had some very nice drops. BTW, in the past, all my PA-rushers but a nova sorc were Meterorb sorcs, though they were built slightly differently before 1.10 came out.)

Except that you may want to focus on +cold skills (not +fire or +light), there really isn't any difference in terms of gear for a pvm bliz sorc.