Deadly Strike and Min Dmg

Deadly Strike and Min Dmg

So earlier today I found a perfect eth superior cryptic sword and it got me thinking.... wouldnt a cryptic sword get better and better if you had more and more deadly strike? Deadly strike doubles max damage only right? So if you had a highlords and some other DS on your gear, a cryptic sword would be amazing wouldnt it?

Also, how many sockets can a cryptic sword get if larzuk sockets it? 4? that might be pretty awesome for an oath.

PhatTrumpet

Diabloii.Net Member
Deadly strike doubles max damage only right?
No. I'm sure if you took 2 minutes to search these forums or check the Arreat Summit, you'd find the mechanics of DS.
Also, how many sockets can a cryptic sword get if larzuk sockets it? 4? that might be pretty awesome for an oath.
Yes, if it's ethereal.

No. I'm sure if you took 2 minutes to search these forums or check the Arreat Summit, you'd find the mechanics of DS.

Yes, if it's ethereal.
I did search. I know the stated mechanics of DS, and I know it has been glitched from time to time, and in .09 for example DS always did double the max damage of the weapon. I was unsure if that glitch was still around, and after searching "deadly strike" using the advanced search function, the answer was still a mystery to me, as responses seemed to be varied on the subject. Implying I am lazy is uncalled for :tongue:
(and by the way, if youd have taken 2 minutes to read my post, you would have noticed I already mentioned the ethereal-ness of my cryptic sword :shocked: )

Eilo Rytyj

Diabloii.Net Member
Deadly Strike will double the final damage roll of your attack.

For example, if your physical damage is 100-5000, and you roll a hit of 3500, if DS checks for that hit, you'll do 7000 damage. The next hit if you roll 300 damage and DS checks, you'll do 600 damage.

So... if DS only checked for max damage, and you did 100-5000 damage, you'd only have something like 1 in 4900 chance of Deadly Strike, because you'd only have 1 in 4900 chance to roll on a hit of 5000...

Delreich

Diabloii.Net Member
I think the idea was that DS triggering caused the damage roll to be maxed, ie
roll 300, DS triggers, do 10k. That would be a bit... overpowered, almost.

Deadly Strike will double the final damage roll of your attack.

For example, if your physical damage is 100-5000, and you roll a hit of 3500, if DS checks for that hit, you'll do 7000 damage. The next hit if you roll 300 damage and DS checks, you'll do 600 damage.

So... if DS only checked for max damage, and you did 100-5000 damage, you'd only have something like 1 in 4900 chance of Deadly Strike, because you'd only have 1 in 4900 chance to roll on a hit of 5000...
Ya the bug in .09 was if you had 100% DS, and you had damage of 100-500, you would ONLY do 1000 damage for each swing, never less. DS was bugged so that when it triggered, it doubled your max damage rather than the damage you rolled. Many people did not know this, and it wasnt very widespread until late in .09 as far as i know. I don't know if that still happens or not.

Coltanz

Diabloii.Net Member
Yep and thats why CCS was so hot during those days in ZvZ rooms. Remember those LoLoEth CCS hah. But i think it's fixed after 1.10 came out, so it would be pointless to use a Cryptic IMO with the new runewords around.

Darker Realm

Diabloii.Net Member
Deadly Strike generally performs better with max damage than min damage. Long Swords/Rune Swords/Cryptic Swords all have an very high max damage number compared to the average. Because of this, you will be doing more average damage when combining it with Deadly Strike than, for example a weapon that has a less of a damage range (e.g. Phase Blade 31-35)

That's the whole concept behind a Cleglaw's set build that focuses on Deadly Strike to carry through, since the set bonus scales max damage with character level.

it would be pointless to use a Cryptic IMO with the new runewords around.
I think you have to be literally blind to say this kind of thing in 1.10. There are many more runewords out that suit weapons such as a Cryptic than 1.09. One good choice for you would be to make an Eth Oath out of the sword. You will be doing significantly more damage than a Phase Blade, yet swing as fast as a 40IAS (perfect) Grief and while maintaining the weapon range of 2.

More reason to use Cryptic with the new runewords around. In fact, there are no good runewords pre 1.10 for cryptic sword. Thats why some people are willing to pay tons of HR's for that kind of item; there are some people dying to get ahold of such things. If Eth Oath doesn't work, you can always make other non-Indestructible runewords and give it to an Act 3 Iron Wolf and make that sort of ultimate weapon for him.

Quietus

Diabloii.Net Member
Deadly Strike generally performs better with max damage than min damage. Long Swords/Rune Swords/Cryptic Swords all have an very high max damage number compared to the average. Because of this, you will be doing more average damage when combining it with Deadly Strike than, for example a weapon that has a less of a damage range (e.g. Phase Blade 31-35)

That's the whole concept behind a Cleglaw's set build that focuses on Deadly Strike to carry through, since the set bonus scales max damage with character level.

I think you have to be literally blind to say this kind of thing in 1.10. There are many more runewords out that suit weapons such as a Cryptic than 1.09. One good choice for you would be to make an Eth Oath out of the sword. You will be doing significantly more damage than a Phase Blade, yet swing as fast as a 40IAS (perfect) Grief and while maintaining the weapon range of 2.

More reason to use Cryptic with the new runewords around. In fact, there are no good runewords pre 1.10 for cryptic sword. Thats why some people are willing to pay tons of HR's for that kind of item; there are some people dying to get ahold of such things. If Eth Oath doesn't work, you can always make other non-Indestructible runewords and give it to an Act 3 Iron Wolf and make that sort of ultimate weapon for him.

You just posted something elsewhere on this forum asking if DS works better on weapons with high max, and you're giving advice (incorrect advice, I might add) like this? If you need to post a thread to ask the question, please, don't try giving answers until you've got the answer.

helvete

Diabloii.Net Member
DS doesn't only double the physical damage roll, BTW. It also doubles elemental damage and any magic damage you do.

helvete

Diabloii.Net Member
DS now just takes the whole damage equation, and doubles it, including elemental damage. Thus, DS is extremely powerful, even if it isn't bugged anymore.

Arbedark

Diabloii.Net Member
Be it from charms, weapons or skills.
Sorry to be harsh to people but:

DS and CS double only PHYSICAL DAMAGE.

In 1.09 it calculated the damage you did (using an approximation of the normal distribution curve as it does now), and then it doubles this value...not just double max possible damage.

Try and disagree with me if you like, but you're wrong :)

helvete

Diabloii.Net Member
Gosh, now I'm only 95% sure. Look what you did! :p

Maybe I remember something about vengeance being doubled by DS... but vengeance is weapon dependant..... isn't it?