Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Deadly Strike and Berserk

Discussion in 'Hardcore' started by rachil0, Feb 26, 2004.

1. rachil0

rachil0 IncGamers Member

Deadly Strike and Berserk

Aight, I asked this question on the barb forum and no one really answered it. I trust the barb experts in this forum a heckuva lot more than anyone from the barb forum anyway.

Does deadly strike double berserk damage? I always assumed it did, but I am not so sure now. I've got a barb that does a lot more listed zerk dmg than conc dmg, but in my paranoia it's all starting to feel like the same amount of dmg (ie, conc is getting doubled, zerk isn't). I've got more than 100% DS, so I should be comparing apples to apples (DS'ed cond to DS'ed zerk). Tell me I didn't spend 60 points on a melee skill that doesn't get deadly strike bonus. :rant: (well, only 52 points so far).

It seems DS would have to .. otherwise weapon mastery+zerk would be a really underpowered combo. Of course that's critical strike and I'm asking about deadly strike, so who knows.

2. SonOfRah

SonOfRah IncGamers Member

truth to tell I wouldn't have a clue. I would assume it did also....

For your DS I would assume headstriker?

3. senji

senji Banned

dead strike works on berzerk

4. kurg

kurg IncGamers Member

The best name I've heard for the character stat screen is calling it the LCS. The lying character screen. Never trust anything it tells you. Its far better than it used to be, but it still has lots of bugs.

5. STINGER

STINGER IncGamers Member

Well for some sick and twisted reason I cant get on some of the normal class weapon pages, but i beleive there may be one or two of these with 100% Deadly. I beleive the Grim Reaper is 100% and i am not sure but Rixots or Azurewraith may be but something says no.

Using one of these you could test it with little worry of death, or go on SP and use the ole character edetor stuff if you know how to go about all that.

Here is an additional thouhgt, if you intend to use a 100%+ Deadly weapon isnt it actually a wast to get many points in mastery? I believe i read where Critical and Deadly cant happen at the same time. This makes me wonder also if having crushing is worht anything when using a DS weapon?

The most puzzling thing of this thread is this statement from someone I was sure would know!?!?!?!?!?

"truth to tell I wouldn't have a clue. I would assume it did also...."

6. SonOfRah

well I haven't seriously kept myself up to date with game mechanics because I haven't played in ages, so things that are hazy :)

Critical and deadly cannot stack. That used to be the case perviously (before xpac), but no longer.

DS should work with zerk. But to test it use a 100%DS weapon (reaper should be that), and beserk. There is a small "flash" and different sound when you hit a monster and critical/deadly/crushing blow occurs. test this out with punching and with the DS weapon to see the difference in graphics.

Crushing blow is usefull even with DS. Being able to take off an extra chunk of life never hurt anybody. CB is applied after damage from weapons is dealt iirc

7. STINGER

STINGER IncGamers Member

Wouldnt it make sense to have only 1 point or none in mastery on a zerker since AR is so pumped anyway? Freeking up for max Warcry and maxing all synergies?

Looks good as i type it

8. SonOfRah

yes and no. really depends on what you want.

ar isn't really such a big problem, although sinking more points into it means increasing base damage, ar and critical. If you have a small amount of DS then more into mastery is excellent for the critical. More ar never hurts, but then max zerk, some +skills, a raven and a few decent items with ar allows you to get by with lvl 1 or no mastery.

For a zerker I would max zerk, bo, howl and shout in that order. Unless you want to only play in a group and get bo from another barb.

9. doubleOObubble

doubleOObubble IncGamers Member

"Wouldnt it make sense to have only 1 point or none in mastery on a zerker since AR is so pumped anyway?"

Well, if you can get +28% on base damage for ONE point, then that alone should be reason for not entirely neglecting masteries. The second, third and so on, on the other hand, might have to bow for synergies. Well, Rah said it.

10. Pezeteros

Pezeteros IncGamers Member

1 point gives a lot of damage to miss, but you'll gonna have an ok AR either way so pumbing a synergy sounds more right.

I'm not sure about 1h zerker, but on my 2h I use warcry and cant really immagine being without it or substituting it for howl.

I maxed skills in that order

BO/Zerk (together with saved points)
    Warcry (15 base)
    Shout

remaining points will be spent into Howl

also have lvl 3 mastery so that i get to 15% critical with + skills, but more isnt worth it.

11. rachil0

rachil0 IncGamers Member

For 100% DS, I used death cleaver, gore rider, and highlords wrath. I'm actually over 100% (66+15+29=110), so I am going to replace the gore riders with either goblin toe for more CB and less DS, or WT for more overall normal damage. I just haven't gotten around to it.

SonOfRoh nailed my build exactly.. max BO/Shout/Howl/Zerk. Still not done with howl yet. Heh, why can't zerk have a cooler synergy, like warcry or battle cry? I've tried howl, but I've found it more of an annoyance than a help so far. It's pretty good for boss packs.

Just like double00bubble said, I did one point into axe mastery to get 28% free damage (a bit more with +skills). I picked a defiance merc, doesn't help me much when zerking, but he tanks great with his aura and my own. If things get rough I can "turtle" with conc and just chip my way out of a mess with massive defense.

In theory, :scratch:

Thanks for the help guys.

12. L33t.

L33t. IncGamers Member

I'm pretty sure DS is capped at 95%

13. Carnage-DVS

Carnage-DVS IncGamers Member

Yes, It's capped at 95. I just use highlords+etheral death cleavers.

14. rpgforumsnet

rpgforumsnet IncGamers Member

What about elemental demage bonus from weapon like the IK set?

Does zerk convert those to pure magical demage as well (monster has no resistance) ?

15. STINGER

STINGER IncGamers Member

element is element, if it converts its bugged

16. GrnEggsNHam

GrnEggsNHam IncGamers Member

Heh as usuall I haven't read past the first few posts :). But I do have some answers, deadly strike works as far as I can tell since my 3rd barb of the ladder season was a zerk barb and I used razor's edge and it kiled about 2x faster than aldur's was. Even though I asked this same question I never got a definate answer. Now onto the deadly vs critical stuff, it works like this deadly strike has a chance to take effect and if it does then critical can't go off. If deadly is not triggered then critical strike has it's chance to trigger.