Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

DC sniper John Allen Muhammad sentenced

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Sergeant, Mar 9, 2004.

1. Sergeant

Sergeant IncGamers Member

DC sniper John Allen Muhammad sentenced

He'll get the death sentence and the date was set to October this year.

2. giantpinkbunnyhead

giantpinkbunnyhead IncGamers Member

October?? Why wait until a planned date? I suggest having him picked off by a sniper at a random time. Maybe then he can live in the fear he supplied to the region he terrorized. However the authorities decide to off him will be too cushy and comfortable for that guy.

But I am glad he drew the death penalty.

3. Freemason

Freemason Banned

Just hang him. Allah will give him his true punishment.

4. Sergeant

Sergeant IncGamers Member

I just hope the sentence is actually carried out so he can explain himself to Allah.

5. Suicidal Zebra

Suicidal Zebra IncGamers Member

Did he confess?

If not, isn't that a bit strange in comparison to the norm? I thought that convicts usually got many years if not decades on Death Row before the appeals process was concluded.

6. maccool

maccool IncGamers Member

If this cat is executed in the next three years, I'll be surprised. He can still be tried in about 4 (?) more jurisdictions, so I reckon if his death sentence is overturned, they'll just try him somewhere else. I'm pretty sure the government wants this man dead.

SZ, Muhammed is stil maintaining his innocence.

7. Suicidal Zebra

Thanks Mac.

Then I repeat Sarge, isn't the appeals process so involved that this is likely to be tied up in the courts for a lot longer than 7 months.

And if he is being fast-tracked, what makes his situation any different to the other tens of murders that have been on death-row for years, if not decades.

8. giantpinkbunnyhead

I wonder if the high publicity is driving his fast-track sentence... I could see the gov't trying to make an example out of him to show that justice is swift, while at the same time keeping people alive on death row for decades because they aren't well known. I think the public expects to see john mudhamed whatever put to death.

9. Suicidal Zebra

Okay, I can understand that. I just feel very unconfortable when justice is carried out in such a selective manner, even (and maybe especially) if it was public opinion that was driving a one-off change in policy.

10. giantpinkbunnyhead

I totally agree. If they're gonna off this guy so quickly, they should do the same with all the others.

11. AeroJonesy

AeroJonesy IncGamers Member

It's probably much cheaper to execute him sooner rather than later. I'm pretty sure they had conclusive evidence that the guy did it. The testimony of Lee Boyd Malvo probably helped, and I think they had audio tapes of the sniper saying he did. I might just be remembering wrongly though.

Like mac said, they've got plenty of other places to try this guy anyway, which they haven't done yet because of this conviction. I like the idea of assigning someone to randomly snipe him within the next year. I say they miss a shot on purpose at him like right away to scare the crap out of him, and then let him go a little while longer and miss another one.

12. Lostprophet

Lostprophet IncGamers Member

*sigh*

What this man did was a horrible thing. Believe me, I lived through it firsthand; I regularly fill up at the gas station where one of the victims was shot. I still don't think that anything is solved via the death penalty, even in this case.

But what're you going to do?