Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Day one of my new endeavor

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by zodiac66, Aug 28, 2006.

1. zodiac66

zodiac66 IncGamers Member

Day one of my new endeavor

I am utterly exhausted. I have two stressers going on now..moving and starting back to school.

My anthropology class will be a cakewalk. The teacher said there is no way to fail the class. Of course, I don't want anything less than an A, but I think it will be easy.

Professional Ethics will be another cakewalk. I think I am the only one in there over 25 and the teacher seemed to spend more time looking at me while lecturing. This is a philosophy class so I can bull crap my way through it. I guess it helps working in a professional setting as well.

I am petrified of Biology. The prof said that out of our class of 125, 25 of us will fail the class. They also want everyone to have high school chem. I had that...23 years ago. I will have to be tutored and whatnot to get the A I want. I did ask the prof how much chem is needed for the class and she said if she drew a molecule on the board, we should know what it is. I think I can figure that out. She did suggest taking a refresher chem course, but I am not paying to take a class that does not count towards my major.

Medical Terminology is all memorization. It shouldn't be that hard.

The school has a nice fitness center and I can study flash cards while I either use the treadmill or exercise bike. That will be an hour study time M, W, and F.

I hope to be a skinny little twig by next summer. I will have no time to eat. I will be busy from 8 am to 8 pm most days. Today, I had a hot pocket and a slim fast bar.

I can say I made an aquaintance today.

I had to wear my Skinny Puppy concert shirt since I didn't do laundry. I did get a few nods from the alternative crowd.

2. HockeyChic

HockeyChic Banned

Congrats on living through your first day!!! What, if I may ask, are you going to be when you grow up? Anthropology has got to be an interesting class. Also, congrats on your aquantance meeting.

3. Merick

Merick IncGamers Member

Anthro- Yours is easy? Mine was terribly hard. I did terribly on my paper. But the grades were all scaled and I got an A, which really surprised me. We even got to see a movie with naked people in it. I hope you don't have to memorize traits of a dozen kinds of monkeys.

Biology- At least for me in high school it was mostly memorization. Never had to know any chemicals.

Aquantinces- Told ya.

Almost makes me wish I was going to school this semester.

4. zodiac66

I am going to school for Forensic Science. That is what I wanted to do when I got my CJ degree, but it did not have the science background.

What I would like to be is a forensic anthropologist..but a mater's is required for that and there is not a school anywhere near me to offer that. There are so many aspects of the field, I have to narrow it down. One thing if I specialize in forensic anthroplogy, I can work for the state parks searching for poachers.

If I didn't have children, I would love to be in the field. I can't be on call 24/7 with 2 kids.

I have to think hard what I want my minor to be. I may go the psyc route and be a profiler.

I do think the ethics class will help quite a bit with my decision. Today, we had to write down what we thought our purpose was on earth. Mine was to be a mom. Then we had to equate that with our major. I didn't do so well on that one.

5. Sir EvilFreeSmeg

Sir EvilFreeSmeg Banned

At least your pants didn't fall down in class :laugh:

6. HockeyChic

HockeyChic Banned

That would be fascinating!!! I always thought that would be an extremely interesting job. It would definitely be on the list of things I would want to have done with my life. I’m a little jealous.:undecided:

7. zodiac66

It is never too late to go back. I am almost 40. Check into it.

8. Sokar Rostau

Sokar Rostau IncGamers Member

Seconded. I started my degree this year and turned 31 last week.

9. HockeyChic

HockeyChic Banned

I'm afraid that it isn't likely to happen. Between my kids and Ski I doubt any of them would give me the time to manage school. I barely manage to use the bathroom by myself lately.

10. Dondrei

Dondrei IncGamers Member

Biology was the hardest subject I ever took. The lectures were wall-to-wall things to memorise, and then they gave us three chapters to read out of the bloody book in our own time on top of that... and they were never good at answering my questions. That bloody subject took up all my time that semester, and I still barely passed.

11. bg1256

bg1256 IncGamers Member

In my experience with college biology, it was all memorization... if you can keep from confusing these two courses, then you should be fine. I got an A- without working all that hard... and I'm by no means a science expert. If you can memorize, you'll be fine in both of these, I'm sure.

Congrats on your first day! I know you're crazy busy...but in the end, it's worth it!

12. blu3l1ghtn1ng

blu3l1ghtn1ng IncGamers Member

Ask zodi on tips about how to accomplish that ^^^

EDIT: that nutball that posted before me is fast

13. Amra

Amra IncGamers Member

'grats Zodi.

Aquaintance? You already picking up young studs??

14. Yaboosh

Yaboosh IncGamers Member

It is a running joke with the Crim professors here that pop culture gives students ridiculous expectations and creates trends in the Criminology department. After Silence of the Lambs was released, there were a ton of kids coming into the Criminology department wanting to be profilers. Now that CSI and such is popular, there are tons of little fools who see that on TV and think they want to be a crime scene investigator.

I am not bunching you in with this group, zodi, don't get me wrong, you seem to have plenty of actual research behind your decision to persue this field, I just find it funny that people want to do a job that they think is like what they see in the movies when they don't realize what the job actually consists of.

15. HockeyChic

HockeyChic Banned

I’ve also always thought paleontology and archeology would be very interesting careers. I guess I had better hope for reincarnation so I get to do all of the things I find fascinating

16. Moosashi

Moosashi IncGamers Member

Don't go to bio thinking that the material is so hard that 20% of the students there are incapable of understanding it. When a professor says X number of people will fail his/her course, that usually means X +/- 2 or 3 people never show up or turn in any assignments. The prof then has no choice but to fail them. If you go to class and do the reading, you'll at least pass no matter how bad you think you are at biology. If you work hard, study a lot and have some interest in the material, you'll get an A or B.

You seem pretty motivated to put in at least the minimum effort. Don't sweat it. Remember that as long as you go to class, you'll know more than about 20% of the other students. That guarantees you a D, if not better.

I'd also like to point out that the really important things in biology aren't best understood through rote memorization. There are key concepts and principles that when understood, make all the retention of factoids easy and sensical. First and foremost, learn and think about evolution. Biology is one of the few disciplines with something like a unifying theory. When you understand it, all the scattered information falls into place.

17. Yaboosh

Yaboosh IncGamers Member

There are certain fields that we can all find superficially fascinating, but the every day minutia that you actually deal with might not be quite as fascinating as the romantic ideal of the profession.

18. Sokar Rostau

Sokar Rostau IncGamers Member

I will transferring to an archaeology degree before I finish my current BA. But then again, I dig all things ancient...

19. HockeyChic

HockeyChic Banned

OR…….I'm not as stupid as people think, and I actually do know quite a lot of what’s involved with some of these things on an average, everyday basis and still continue to find it fascinating. Who’da thought that a blonde, fake boobed, sports lovin’, red meat eatin', straight tequila drinkin’ female might actually have a brain?? Go figure?

20. Yaboosh

Yaboosh IncGamers Member

Yes, because when I said "we can all" I meant dumb blondes.....

This has nothing to do with academic capability, it has to do with the lack of exposure normal people get to the everyday activities of certain professions, like lawyers, archaeologists, anthropologists, forensic pathologists, what have you. But go ahead and get offended for silly things thinking it has something to do with you being a girl with fake boobs.