Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

David Brevik has considered returning to Blizzard

Discussion in 'Diablo 3 General Discussion' started by Elly, Jan 9, 2016.

1. Elly

Elly Administrator

[​IMG]

[​IMG]Following his departure announcement from Gazillion, David Brevik hosted a live stream where he discussed the future of Marvel Heroes now he's gone and his plans which he covered in his previous update.

During the stream David also talked about whether there was ever a possibility he would return to Blizzard and this is what he had to say:
    "I've been very close going back to Blizzard several times before Gazillion. I might go back but the thing that's preventing be going back is they don't want to open a studio in San Francisco.

"They've tried the out of house studio thing a few times and not had very much success with it. That said, the only time they did have success with it was with me and Blizzard North so I think that we could do it again.

"Never say never, there are scenarios where I could still live here ion San Francisco and still work down there. It's all theoretical anyway, there's no plans to go back to Blizzard at this time."​
    Continue reading the Original Blog Post.

2. trocadero

trocadero IncGamers Member

Can't say I blame him. While SF is a little overrated, it is infinitely preferable to the hell hole that is Irvine. Which is weird, b/c there are a lot of parts of OC and LA that are amazing. But Irvine itself is a pit. Does he actually live in SF? Is he one of those gentrifying technocrats who are kicking the real folks back to west Oakland or *gasp* Richmond?

3. T2000

T2000 IncGamers Member

It was very insightful stream, thanks David for that.

And don't forget reveal of "Pirate Action-RPG", which Blizzard North developing almost a year!

4. T2000

T2000 IncGamers Member

"we fans have no clue why Dave left".

Oh, really? After that i can't take seriously all this essays what you wrote about Brevik-Blizzard relationship.

http://www.diablowiki.net/Diablo_3_History#The_Big_Four_Depart

5. Silverfang

Silverfang IncGamers Member

He knows how to express mystical and physical laws, and social, physical and mystical relations in formulas and putting the whole into an always logically deductable, coherent framework that makes up a solid, rpgcentered base design.

6. Carlyle

Carlyle IncGamers Member

„[...] the thing that’s preventing be going back is they don’t want to open a studio in San Francisco. [...]“

What!? They wouldn't even open a new business just for him in a comfortable 5 minutes walking distance of his home and crown him king of it? Heartless bunch!

7. Boomslang

Boomslang IncGamers Member

Curious.

Could the old band get back together! What good news that would be.

8. Dirgecaller

Dirgecaller IncGamers Member

I don't see why some of you idolize these guys.

Like someone mentioned above, D1 was going to be a turn based claymation game. It wasn't until Blizzard became the publisher and changed the game direction that D1 became what it was.

D2 was certainly an improvement on D1 but it had it's share of issues. These guys then failed to take the game to the next step and floundered around trying to develop D3 to the point where it was cancelled.

They then went off and created the fiasco that was Hellgate London and the failed project in Mythos.

Torchlight was ok. I certainly thought they were onto something if they could evolve the game design for Torchlight 2. But IMO T2 was a major let down. I couldn't even stay motivated to finish act 3. Was just so boring of a story line, it left no motivation to keep playing. I don't think I was alone in that. Just look at the Steam achievements. http://steamcommunity.com/stats/TorchlightII/achievements It's pathetic how few people have completed even the most basic of achievements. The King is Dead achievement which I believe is the last boss, only completed by 14% of players. That is really pathetic.

Marvel Heroes? Never played it but that alone says something. From what I've read it is a major mess of a game to where they had to pretty much go back to the drawing board. And it still hasn't surfaced as a holy shit you must try this game.

I'll give these guys credit for making the attempts and actually making playable games. That alone is not easy to do. And certainly they had a big role in making D1/D2 for which I'm grateful. But they don't make great games by themselves. A certain amount of magic happened with D1 and D2 that was a combo of these guys and Blizzard people. I just don't believe they deserve rock star status and I certainly don't see them as the Diablo Messiahs who will come in and rescue the Diablo franchise.

9. T2000

T2000 IncGamers Member

Here timestamp at 1h 3 min: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WQsiAnJ4PVo&1h03m30s

10. Flux

Flux Administrator

Agree on avoiding SoCal living, but given that these guys work about 12 hours a day in an a/c digital playground, I don't see why it matters where he lives. They're at work every hour of the day anyway, and he could easily spend weekends or vacations in SF after just a couple hours of travel time.

Location isn't a real great excuse, IMHO.

11. jamesL

jamesL IncGamers Member

LOL @ Mythos being a failed game -- it was awesome -- they lost it as part of the deal of losing Hellgate