Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Dave's "The Color of Money" Set Thread

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by dterry, May 29, 2016.

1. dterry

dterry IncGamers Member

So I set myself a goal of beating the game (at reasonable levels) with each set in the game. In my case - reasonable means not taking a set I can wear at level 3 and trying to beat Hell with it. I know people have done that and my hat is off to them, but I'm not that crazy. Oh, and these guys are twinked, so yeah I'm lazy. I'm also trying to use some skill combinations I don't normally play on these low level guys.

So I finished the first character.

------------------
    Slayer Berserker
    Barbarian using (you guessed it) the Berserker's Arsenal.

Goal - Beat Normal.
    Finished at Level 36.

Build: Using Stun/Battle Cry. With +2 skills.
    Skills:
    Stun-1
    Bash-14
    Axe Mastery-15
    Battle Cry-5
    Iron Skin-1
    Natural Resistance-1

I'd love to tell you this set is one of the hidden gems in the game and more people should use it but... not so much. I packed half my character storage with damage charms with Goblin Toe boots and still struggled to do enough damage. I intended to use an ACT1 Cold Merc but I realized that wasn't going to cut it against the Ancients and went back and got an ACT2-Defense Merc who carried a Woestave/rattlecage. With Waheed the ancients were pretty easy (but slow). The Council (they smoked Waheed before I realized he was in trouble) and Lister in the throne room were pretty nasty but Bhaal was at half life before I even realized we had hurt him. Also - I was going to use Berserk on my Berserker named Berserker because of Xzibit reasons, haha - but the set has alot of defense bonuses that would have been wasted using Berserk (if I understand that skill correctly). Oh, and even with the attack bonuses on the set I struggled to hit on at least 50% of my swings - I am guessing it was something to do with the range on the weapon?

Good Finds: Uhhh... does Darkglow count? No?

Final Analysis - Fun but wow the damage was weak.

------------------

Next up: A Cleglaw assassin build using Mind Blast, Death Sentry, and Shadow Master to beat normal again. Probably overpowered - Ha.

Last edited: May 29, 2016
  2. Grape

Grape IncGamers Member

Nice way to pay a tribute for the normal sets out there!

I'm slowly doing something similar, but I'm just trying to use every set even once for a few acts while playing my to-be Mat/Pats. And Maltatai is also doing normal set project in HC

Good luck with the remaining chars. Definitely following both of these projects! :)

3. T72on1

T72on1 IncGamers Member

Sounds like a nice plan. Good luck !!!

My favourite low level sets are Death's Disguise and Arctic Gear. They are incredibly strong early on, and last all the way through Normal on some builds.

4. RadTang

RadTang IncGamers Member

Oh yeah, especially the Arctic Furs. If you're lucky to get it very early on in act 1, you might use it even in act 2 ! :) One of the best armor for a sorc in act 1.

5. dterry

dterry IncGamers Member

I finished the second character.

------------------
    Slayer Cleglaw
    Assassin using Cleglaw's Brace.

Goal - Beat Normal.
    Finished at Level 36.

Build: Using Wake of Fire. With +1 skills.
    Skills:
    Wake of Fire-18
    Fire Blast-6
    Wake of Inferno-2
    Cloak of Shadows-6
    Shadow Master-6

This was more fun than I expected. First, I'm sure some of you noticed my last note indicated I was going to use Psychic Blast on this one. But I got to looking at it and decided it was going to be weak on damage and have conversion on it. I'm really not much for having the occasional monster assistance for a few seconds so I decided to go another way. The main issues I saw with this set: weak minimum damage, low resists, and dealing with knockback on a close combat character. So I thought about how best to turn that knockback to my advantage. With that in mind, I loaded up as much poison damage charms and fun effects as I could. A coif of glory gave me blind, combined with cleglaws crushing blow and more from Goblin Toe and she was doing all right on damage. Nothing to write home about. I considered a point in Tiger Strike but decided to stay away from Martial Arts. I also loaded half her inventory with resist charms to help out with that issue.

And here is where it gets interesting. I have played D2 since it came out. I shudder to think of how many hours I have in this game. And yet I still have alot of skills I've never really tried. I suppose because I keep starting over when I build a new PC and gravitate back to my old faithful Fishymancers, Orb-it-allers, Phoenix Strikers, etc. So believe it or not, I've never run a trapper. I thought "a little extra damage from traps will be nice". Those of you who have put a ton of points in fire traps in normal know where this is going. I'm not certain I have seen anything kill this fast. She turned almost anything in front of her into a joke, including Baal, his minions, the ancients - Diablo was the only interesting fight (isn't he always). I spammed purples on him but it wasn't that bad. Oh and she made everything into a joke even when I didn't use Cloak of Shadows - when I did, stuff just disappeared.

I used an ACT2 Merc with Defiance again but in hindsight probably should have swapped to an Act5 merc with stun. Because who wouldn't love blinded, poisoned, stunned and slowed monsters? "You, go sit over there and think about what you've done!"

Good Finds: Ichorsting. Clearly, I recommend this set for Magic Finding.

Final Analysis - Fun but overpowered to the point of hilarity.

------------------

Next up: An Infernal Tools Necromancer Summoner but focusing on Iron Golem with skellies (maybe just mages?)to help out.

T72on1 likes this.
  6. DiabloTwoinDC

DiabloTwoinDC IncGamers Member

I've been playing most of the normal sets through to Hellforge on Hell. All characters equipped sets ASAP, and had to wear at all times. Characters were self-found (within the group) except for one glaring exception. Runes/Runewords were shared, and helped these builds immensely. Ended up using a lot of the cheaper RW (highest rune used was Um). Most of the characters flew through Normal/Nightmare with very basic items, but began to slow down halfway into Hell difficulty.

Biggest drawback of the Normal sets is the lack of damage on weapons, so you just have to come up with character builds that don't rely on wep damage. Secondly thing to worry about is the low defense. So, builds with skelle/valk/shadow are nice. Ranged/elemental is the way to go. Very difficult to go toe-to-toe melee with these sets on Hell.

1. Death's Disguise Barbarian (lvl 78 Frenzy/Double Swing) 2/5 - Not a good 1st choice of character. Idea was to swing fast, with lots of CB. Made it through NM (easily, but slowly) with Death's Touch and 'Duress' Runeword. Added a 'Black' RW at start of Hell. Stuck at HF for a long time, until recently when I decided to bring in the big guns.. 'Fortitude' and 'Grief' PB got him to Patriarch.
    2. Berzerker's Arsenal Barbarian (lvl 75 Singer) 2/5 - Again, not a great character to start with. Cruised through NM easily with 'Insight' merc. Added a 'Spirit' Monarch for Hell. Made it to HF, but killing was becoming very slow.
    3. Infernal Tools Necromancer (lvl 79 Fishymancer) 4/5 - This was no problem taking to Patriarch. You can play this self-found, should be one of first picks for a project like this.
    4. Angelic Rainment Soreress (lvl 81 MeteOrb) 4/5 - Cookie cutter. Another good character to start with. Got her + merc MF up to around 350% and did some Meph runs on NM. Made it to Matriarch without too much trouble.
    5. Isenhart's Armory Paladin (lvl 74 TeslaFroster) 3/5 - Holy Freeze, and Holy Shock because wep doesn't do any damage. Rogue merc with 'Harmony' RW was nice. He started to die quite a bit later into Hell difficulty. Stopped at HF.
    6. Arctic Gear Amazon (lvl 77 Frost Maiden) 3/5 - Pretty strong most of the way through Hell. Again, lack of damage on wep. Just froze everything while merc cleaned up. Helped having 'Duress' and 'Insight' already made for merc. Stopped at HF.
    7. Cleglaw's Brace Druid (lvl 76 Rabies/Armageddon) 3/5 - Again low damage. Rabies seemed nicely suited for set with knockback and slow. Just ran around in circles with Armageddon vs. poison immunes. (which there were a lot A1/A2 Hell) Stopped at HF.
    8. Tancred's Battlegear Necromancer (lvl 76 Poison/Skelle) 4/5 - Any Necro with skeletons is already pretty strong. Went with poison damage instead of CE. Set allowed use of Trang's gloves. Stopped at HF, but will Pat next.
    9. Cathan's Traps Assassin (lvl 74 TrapSin) 3/5 - LS and DS are pretty strong already without much gear. Again used 'Insight' merc. and added Shadow and Mind Blast for crowd control. Stopped at HF.
    10. Sigon's Complete Steel Amazon (lvl 75 Javazon) 3/5 - Liked this set for Javazon because it left wep slot open for Titan's Revenge. Plus, the other classes look even more ridiculous in it. Plague Jav + LF. Had a lot of LIs to deal with on Hell, so had to rely on poison. Made killing speed pretty slow. Merc + Valk tanking made her pretty survivable though. Stopped at HF.
    11. Milabrega's Regalia Paladin (lvl 75 Hammerdin) 4/5 - Never played a hammerdin before. A few +skills from the set was nice. Got hammer up to almost 4k damage. Both him and merc were very fragile. Kill speed was very good though. Bosses became a race to see who could drop the other first. Battles were over very quickly, difficult to get screenshots. Stopped at HF
    12. Arcanna's Tricks Sorceress (lvl 78 Blizz-Baller) 4/5 - Another good character to start with. I ended up just TP most of the way through NM/Hell. Leveled her up with some Countess runs. Most of the Bosses took merc down pretty quickly, but Arcanna handled them on her own. Took her to Matriarch.

Next up: Iratha's Finery Assassin (Blade Fury) - No wep with this set, so was planning on making a 'Crescent Moon' for the ctc Static. I've been playing 1.07 though, and have the runes to make a beta 'Moon' So, until that is done, she is "on deck".

14. Civerb's Vestments Druid - No plan yet
    15. Vidala's Rig Amazon - No plan yet
    16. Hsarus' Defence Septumvirate?? - You can make about anything with this set. Open Armor/Helm/Weapon slots.

Any suggestions on the remaining characters? or help getting the stragglers to Pat/Mat?

And I agree with T72on1:

Last edited: Jul 4, 2016