Dateline: To Catch a Predator

bg1256

Diabloii.Net Member
Dateline: To Catch a Predator

I was watching tv tonight, and I saw an add for another of these shows.

Have any of you seen these?

My questions is: how do you feel about this being on national tv? Is it a good thing or bad thing? Is it merely disturbing entertainment, or is it serving a bigger purpose?
 

Lord Nyax

Banned
Yah, you gotta be a little more descriptive than the title. I think he's talkin' about those News Casts where they pretend to walk you through all the "signs" of a "predator" and how to "catch" them. Sometimes it's about sexual predators, sometimes serial killers, whatever. Personally, the thing is moot. I think that the news people only do it when they can't pull anything good out, so they decide to necro their good ol' "How to catch your neighborhood psycho" piece.
 

Dondrei

Diabloii.Net Member
Pfft, you need some sharpened sticks for arrows and a rudimentary bow, attach some explosives you've fashioned out of your remaining ammo, spike traps and a giant log for a counterweight. Oh, and don't forget to cover yourself in mud.
 

Stompwampa

Diabloii.Net Member
dondrei said:
Pfft, you need some sharpened sticks for arrows and a rudimentary bow, attach some explosives you've fashioned out of your remaining ammo, spike traps and a giant log for a counterweight. Oh, and don't forget to cover yourself in mud.

What if I'm going the urban, Danny Glover style? then what?
 
It's both sick entertainment and an attempt to give their viewers a wakeup call as to how prevelant it is. Whatever it is, it's good for ratings so they'll keep doing it
 

PatMaGroin

Diabloii.Net Member
Go to Youtube and search for ummm....no :rolleyes:. It's like a Daily Show-ed college version of that, hilarious.

I won't link just in case its deemed a little crude.
 

Stoutwood

Diabloii.Net Member
Stompwampa said:
What if I'm going the urban, Danny Glover style? then what?
If you're Danny Glover, just do the world a favor and get killed. That way directors of crappy movies will have one less actor on their speed dial.
 

Dondrei

Diabloii.Net Member
Stoutwood said:
If you're Danny Glover, just do the world a favor and get killed. That way directors of crappy movies will have one less actor on their speed dial.
Damn, you beat me to it.
 

Phesto

Diabloii.Net Member
I think they serve no purpose other than to attract viewers with shock value or whatever you'd like to call it. Pretty pointless stuff but people eat it up like candy.
 

Stompwampa

Diabloii.Net Member
bg1256 said:

That's what I thought you were talking about...

I watched one of those episodes before. I thought it was pretty cool that people were doing this to catch online predators, but part of me kept screaming "entrapment! entrapment!"
If any of this idiots who got caught had half a brain, they would lawyer up and pull the entrapment defense.
Also, as far as I know, having sexual explicit chats with a minor isn't illegal (Mark Foley anyone?). And since these people never actually did anything physical with the supposed "minor," I'd be curious what they're being charged with. As far as I know, you can't punish someone for what they havn't done, even if they intended to do it. I could be wrong on this particular issue though.


Idalia Snoweyes said:
Call Mel Gibson... /duck
But at least Mel Gibson can act, and he's a pretty damn good director too. At least Braveheart...I havn't seen The Passion, though...
 

Talga Vasternich

Diabloii.Net Member
Stompwampa said:
That's what I thought you were talking about...

I watched one of those episodes before. I thought it was pretty cool that people were doing this to catch online predators, but part of me kept screaming "entrapment! entrapment!"
If any of this idiots who got caught had half a brain, they would lawyer up and pull the entrapment defense.
Also, as far as I know, having sexual explicit chats with a minor isn't illegal (Mark Foley anyone?). And since these people never actually did anything physical with the supposed "minor," I'd be curious what they're being charged with. As far as I know, you can't punish someone for what they havn't done, even if they intended to do it. I could be wrong on this particular issue though.
Solicitation of a minor is the charge. They make sure to say they are 13 or 14 years old, to make sure that there's no ambiguity.
 

Yaboosh

Diabloii.Net Member
They also probably make sure the target initiates conversation with the "minor" so as to avoid claims of entrapment.
 

SaroDarksbane

Diabloii.Net Site Pal
Stompwampa said:
part of me kept screaming "entrapment! entrapment!"
Entrapment only applies if the cops make the first move. If the scumbag makes the first move, it's a legitimate sting operation. For example, in the case of a female cop dressed up as a prostitute, if she walks up to your car and propositions you, it's entrapment. If she's walking down the street, and you stop your car next to her and propsition her, it's a legit sting.
Also, as far as I know, having sexual explicit chats with a minor isn't illegal
Maybe not, but I don't think they could have gotten caught by simply "having a chat". More likely (and I've never seen the show) they were caught trying to meet up with the "child" they were chatting with, and if they were caught showing up at a rendevous, it's no longer chatting. They were soliciting a minor for sex, which is a crime.
 

HAMC8112

Diabloii.Net Member
Stompwampa said:
As far as I know, you can't punish someone for what they havn't done, even if they intended to do it. I could be wrong on this particular issue though.
Overhere it works different. We had a guy here that wanted to buy some dope and he did, a kilo of something. Only it turned out he was ripped off and he baught a kilo of sugar. Now he got caught buying a kilo of sugar and the judge gave him 5 years iirc. His lawyers said its not ilegal to buy some sugar right?

The judge answered that his intention was to buy dope, wether or not he did wasnt relevant as his intention was to buy dope, wich is ilegal, 5 years.
 

UserMathias

Diabloii.Net Member
Evil Conservative Inc said:
I have rope and a nearby light pole. I can fix that problem.
Hey you there, bugger off with that already. It's all nice and dandy talking **** about a group of people, knowing that anyone with an opposite opinion is A WITCH! So like.. stop that already. I mean it.

...

Hey, are you talking **** about people again? You'd better not be. Oh, don't make me come over there. Hey, HEY! Don't make me take off my sunglasses.
 
Top