Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Dateline: To Catch a Predator

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by bg1256, Oct 16, 2006.

1. bg1256

bg1256 IncGamers Member

Dateline: To Catch a Predator

I was watching tv tonight, and I saw an add for another of these shows.

Have any of you seen these?

My questions is: how do you feel about this being on national tv? Is it a good thing or bad thing? Is it merely disturbing entertainment, or is it serving a bigger purpose?

2. Stompwampa

Stompwampa IncGamers Member

I'm confused...what are you talking about?

3. Lord Nyax

Lord Nyax Banned

Yah, you gotta be a little more descriptive than the title. I think he's talkin' about those News Casts where they pretend to walk you through all the "signs" of a "predator" and how to "catch" them. Sometimes it's about sexual predators, sometimes serial killers, whatever. Personally, the thing is moot. I think that the news people only do it when they can't pull anything good out, so they decide to necro their good ol' "How to catch your neighborhood psycho" piece.

4. Dondrei

Dondrei IncGamers Member

Pfft, you need some sharpened sticks for arrows and a rudimentary bow, attach some explosives you've fashioned out of your remaining ammo, spike traps and a giant log for a counterweight. Oh, and don't forget to cover yourself in mud.

5. Stompwampa

What if I'm going the urban, Danny Glover style? then what?

6. Sir EvilFreeSmeg

Sir EvilFreeSmeg Banned

It's both sick entertainment and an attempt to give their viewers a wakeup call as to how prevelant it is. Whatever it is, it's good for ratings so they'll keep doing it

7. PatMaGroin

PatMaGroin IncGamers Member

Go to Youtube and search for ummm....no :rolleyes:. It's like a Daily Show-ed college version of that, hilarious.

I won't link just in case its deemed a little crude.

8. Stoutwood

Stoutwood IncGamers Member

If you're Danny Glover, just do the world a favor and get killed. That way directors of crappy movies will have one less actor on their speed dial.

9. bg1256

bg1256 IncGamers Member

wiki to the rescue

10. Dondrei

Dondrei IncGamers Member

Damn, you beat me to it.

11. Dondrei

Dondrei IncGamers Member

Wow. I always say there are paedos everywhere, but damn.

12. Phesto

Phesto IncGamers Member

I think they serve no purpose other than to attract viewers with shock value or whatever you'd like to call it. Pretty pointless stuff but people eat it up like candy.

13. Sir EvilFreeSmeg

Sir EvilFreeSmeg Banned

I have rope and a nearby light pole. I can fix that problem.

14. Idalia Snoweyes

Idalia Snoweyes IncGamers Member

Call Mel Gibson... /duck

15. Stompwampa

That's what I thought you were talking about...

I watched one of those episodes before. I thought it was pretty cool that people were doing this to catch online predators, but part of me kept screaming "entrapment! entrapment!"
    If any of this idiots who got caught had half a brain, they would lawyer up and pull the entrapment defense.
    Also, as far as I know, having sexual explicit chats with a minor isn't illegal (Mark Foley anyone?). And since these people never actually did anything physical with the supposed "minor," I'd be curious what they're being charged with. As far as I know, you can't punish someone for what they havn't done, even if they intended to do it. I could be wrong on this particular issue though.

But at least Mel Gibson can act, and he's a pretty damn good director too. At least Braveheart...I havn't seen The Passion, though...

16. Talga Vasternich

Talga Vasternich IncGamers Member

Solicitation of a minor is the charge. They make sure to say they are 13 or 14 years old, to make sure that there's no ambiguity.

17. Yaboosh

Yaboosh IncGamers Member

They also probably make sure the target initiates conversation with the "minor" so as to avoid claims of entrapment.

18. SaroDarksbane

SaroDarksbane IncGamers Site Pal

Entrapment only applies if the cops make the first move. If the scumbag makes the first move, it's a legitimate sting operation. For example, in the case of a female cop dressed up as a prostitute, if she walks up to your car and propositions you, it's entrapment. If she's walking down the street, and you stop your car next to her and propsition her, it's a legit sting.
    Maybe not, but I don't think they could have gotten caught by simply "having a chat". More likely (and I've never seen the show) they were caught trying to meet up with the "child" they were chatting with, and if they were caught showing up at a rendevous, it's no longer chatting. They were soliciting a minor for sex, which is a crime.

19. HAMC8112

HAMC8112 IncGamers Member

Overhere it works different. We had a guy here that wanted to buy some dope and he did, a kilo of something. Only it turned out he was ripped off and he baught a kilo of sugar. Now he got caught buying a kilo of sugar and the judge gave him 5 years iirc. His lawyers said its not ilegal to buy some sugar right?

The judge answered that his intention was to buy dope, wether or not he did wasnt relevant as his intention was to buy dope, wich is ilegal, 5 years.

20. UserMathias

UserMathias IncGamers Member

Hey you there, bugger off with that already. It's all nice and dandy talking **** about a group of people, knowing that anyone with an opposite opinion is A WITCH! So like.. stop that already. I mean it.

Hey, are you talking **** about people again? You'd better not be. Oh, don't make me come over there. Hey, HEY! Don't make me take off my sunglasses.