Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Dark Nova's Blizzard Guide v2

Discussion in 'Sorceress' started by Dark-Nova, Apr 3, 2004.

1. Dark-Nova

Dark-Nova IncGamers Member

Dark Nova's Blizzard Guide v2

Dark Nova’s Blizzard Guide v2

---------------------
    Chapters
    ---------------------

I. Introduction
    II. Skill Point Allocation
    III. Stat Point Allocation
    IV. Gear
    V. Game Play
    VI. Skill Guide (Levels 1-75)
    VII. Magic Finding Strategies
    VIII. Thanks
    IX. Final Words
    X. Updates / Add-ons

---------------------
    I. Introduction
    ---------------------

I have noticed a lot of guides that are unclear, don’t make sense, or just painful to read. I wanted to make sure this guide was not one of them. So please tell me if something is unclear, doesn’t make sense, or just painful to read. :p

I did some research on my spare time, asked some questions, and decided to have a whack at making my own guide. This guide is to help players alike enjoy the Blizzard spell to its fullest potential.

The Blizzard Sorceress is a fast killing character, which also doubles as an amazing Magic Find (MF) character. The Blizzard Sorceress specializes in (what else?) Blizzard. With all of the synergies, (Ice Bolt, Ice Blast, Glacial Spike, and the bonuses of Cold Mastery) the Sorceress is a powerful spell caster.

---------------------
    II. Skill Point Allocation
    ---------------------

For those who are impatient here we go…

[20 Max] Blizzard (Right Click)
    [20 Max] Glacial Spike (Left Click - Synergy)
    [20 Max] Cold Mastery *1
    [20 Max] Ice Blast (Synergy)
    [20 Max] Ice Bolt (Synergy)
    [1] Teleport
    [1] Warmth *2
    [1] Static Shock
    [1] Shiver Armor *3
    [3] Pre Reqs (Frost Nova, Frozen Armor, Telekinesis)

*1 This is really up to your personal preference. Most people say max it, some say leave at level 7, and some say leave it at level 17. I personally think you should max it. This is because of the monsters that have high resistances for cold. Mephisto for an example, is much, much, easier to kill with Cold Mastery at a good level. I will leave it to you to make your own decision.

*2 Some say that Warmth is a must, even at just one point. The 30% mana regeneration is just too good to pass up. Some others say max it, and some just say leave it be. Personally, I think it is good with just 1 skill point. I will leave it to you to make your own decision.

*3 Same as Warmth. You can do without it, but it can save you every now and then. Well worth the 2 skill points in my mind… I will leave it to you to make your own decision.

This is a total of 107 skill points. With the quests and the leveling it is possible to be done at level 95. At level 80 with good equipment and skill placement you still will still be a force to be reckoned with, however.

---------------------
    III. Stat Point Allocation
    ---------------------

Strength: Enough for the highest requirement or 97 (for Skullders Armor), nothing more.

Dexterity: Enough for the requirements and 75% block. Unless you go for no blocking, then you just go for the requirement on the items you use.

[Note] If you use Lidless Shield with max block it will become pricey on your dexterity (270). I suggest using Stormshield if you decide on 75% blocking.

Vitality: Anything you can spare goes here; you should have a great deal invested in the department. Vitality is life, literally.

Energy: There are a lot of things people say about this, I myself think base 75. This gives you a bit of mana to throw around. Don’t go any higher however. Some people may say put none in, that’s fine also. Do as you wish, I leave it up to you.

[Note] In the beginning you will be tempted to dump tons of stat points into Energy, do not do this. Stop at 75, at most! You can do three things to help you with mana in the early stages.

1) Mana Potions
    2) Mana Leech
    3) Mana Regeneration Items

---------------------
    IV. Gear
    ---------------------

This choice of gear is for the people who are not insanely rich, but do have some money to throw around. If you are insanely rich, then you should know exactly what items you need anyways. This is an ideal Magic Finding setup. There are some items that cost a bit more that are better, and some that cost less and are a great deal worse.

--------------------
    Sorceress
    --------------------

Helm: Shako PTopz’d
    Armor: Skullders PTopz’d
    Weapon: Occulus / Wizard Spike
    Shield: Lidless (or Stormshield for max block)
    Switch Weapon: Gull Dagger / Alibaba (Ist+Ist)
    Switch Shield: Rhyme Runeword (Shael+Eth)
    Boots: War Traveler’s
    Gloves: Chance Guards / Frostburns
    Belt: Snowclash / Goldwrap
    Amulet: Mara’s / +3 Cold Skill Ammulet
    Rings: 2x Nagel, or SoJ’s
    Charms: 7% smfcs or MF charms (lower MF charms can really add up)

[Note] Another possible combination is Tal’s Armor, Amulet, and Belt. The partial bonuses really help a lot. Don’t forget charms can add up, stack up on smfcs of any %.

--------------------
    Mercenary
    --------------------

Helm: Rockstopper
    Armor: Upgraded Duri’s Shell
    Weapon: Tomb Reaver / Bonehew

[Note] These items are for an Act 2 Mercenary.

[Note] All equipment is optional. You can switch and swap all equipment with different equipment. These are not the most elite choices, rather the more cost efficient.

[Note] Remember your Mercenary can not be a higher level than you. For example, if you are level 18, and your Mercenary is level 18, he will not level until you do.

---------------------
    V. Game Play
    ---------------------

Levels 1-25

This is where most people struggle, myself one of them. I just equip a melee weapon (Gull Dagger, Khalims Will) and start whacking and hacking my way through enemies. Level to 16 in Act 1, at level 16 do Sewer runs (in Act 2) until 18. Then proceed to Arcane Runs, do them until level 21. After that go to Trav Runs (in Act 3) until level 24. Fly through normal and get to the Ancients. With the level boost from the Ancients you should be at level 25. Thus making you ready for normal Baal Runs.

Level 25-50

Baal Runs, Baal Runs, Baal Runs, and more Baal Runs. I suggest staying until level 50. You will really see an increase in power of your spells. Your Sorceress should be a big part of every run.

Level 50-75

Power through Nightmare and grab a friend to help with Ancients. You can Baal Run here until level 75. Your skills really will be heating up here, (or cooling down rather :p).

Level 75+

You can get some levels from Hell Baal in an 8 player game. With the right equipment you should be able to tackle Mephisto and Pindleskin (which will both provide experience). From here on, really enjoy your character.

[Note] There will be Hell Witches in Nightmare and Hell that are Cold Immune, avoid these. Let your other party members take care of them and any other Cold Immune monsters.

[Note] Make sure to get the Den / Radament / Izual quests for additional skill points.

---------------------
    VI. Leveling Up Guide (Levels 1-75)
    ---------------------

Level 2 Ice Bolt (1)
    Level 3 Frozen Armor (1)
    Den Save (1 saved)
    Level 4 Save (2 saved)
    Level 5 Save (3 saved)
    Level 6 Static Field (1), Frost Nova (1), Telekinesis (1), Ice Blast (1)
    Level 7 Ice Blast (2)
    Level 8 Ice Blast (3)
    Level 9 Ice Blast (4)
    Level 10 Ice Blast (5)
    Level 11 Ice Blast (6)
    Level 12 Shivan Armor (1)
    Level 13 Ice Blast (7)
    Level 14 Ice Blast (8)
    Level 15 Ice Blast (9)
    Level 16 Ice Blast (10)
    Radament Save (1 saved)
    Level 17 Save (2 saved)
    Level 18 Glacial Spike (1), Teleport (1) (1 saved)
    Level 19 Glacial Spike (2) (1 saved)
    Level 20 Glacial Spike (3) (1 saved)
    Level 21 Glacial Spike (4) (1 saved)
    Level 22 Glacial Spike (5) (1 saved)
    Level 23 Glacial Spike (6) (1 saved)
    Izual Save (3 saved)
    Level 24 Glacial Spike (7), Blizzard (1) (2 saved)
    Level 25 Glacial Spike (8), Blizzard (2) (1 saved)
    Level 26 Blizzard (3) (1 saved)
    Level 27 Blizzard (4) (1 saved)
    Level 28 Blizzard (5) (1 saved)
    Level 29 Blizzard (6) (1 saved)
    Level 30 Blizzard (7), Cold Mastery (1)
    Level 31 Blizzard (8)
    Level 32 Blizzard (9)
    Level 33 Blizzard (10)
    Level 34 Blizzard (11)
    Level 35 Blizzard (12)
    Level 36 Blizzard (13)
    Level 37 Blizzard (14)
    Level 38 Blizzard (15)
    Level 39 Blizzard (16)
    Level 40 Blizzard (17)
    Level 41 Blizzard (18)
    Level 42 Blizzard (19)
    Level 43 Blizzard (20)
    Level 44 Glacial Spike (9)
    Level 45 Glacial Spike (10)
    Level 46 Glacial Spike (11)
    Level 47 Glacial Spike (12)
    Level 48 Glacial Spike (13)
    Level 49 Glacial Spike (14)
    Level 50 Glacial Spike (15)
    Den Glacial Spike (16)
    Level 51 Glacial Spike (17)
    Level 52 Glacial Spike (18)
    Level 53 Glacial Spike (19)
    Level 54 Glacial Spike (20)
    Level 55 Cold Mastery (2)
    Radament Cold Mastery (3)
    Level 56 Cold Mastery (4)
    Level 57 Cold Mastery (5)
    Level 58 Cold Mastery (6)
    Level 59 Cold Mastery (7)
    Level 60 Cold Mastery (8)
    Level 61 Cold Mastery (9)
    Level 62 Cold Mastery (10)
    Level 63 Cold Mastery (11)
    Level 64 Cold Mastery (12)
    Level 65 Cold Mastery (13)
    Izual Cold Mastery (14), Cold Mastery (15)
    Level 66 Cold Mastery (16)
    Level 67 Cold Mastery (17)
    Level 68 Cold Mastery (18)
    Level 69 Cold Mastery (19)
    Level 70 Cold Mastery (20)
    Level 71 Ice Blast (11)
    Level 72 Ice Blast (12)
    Level 73 Ice Blast (13)
    Level 74 Ice Blast (14)
    Level 75 Ice Blast (15)

[Note] You will be completing Normal, Nightmare, and Hell skill quests at different times. I am just predicting when that will be.

[Note] You may go ahead and throw in a few skill points Ice Blast instead of Cold Mastery down the line, just make sure to even it up in the end.

This is what you do basically, Max Blizzard, Glacial Spike, Cold Mastery, Ice Blast, and Ice Bolt in that order. Make sure to do that, for more information see chapter II. Skill Point Allocation.

---------------------
    VII. Magic Finding Strategies
    ---------------------

Pindleskin

Teleport to him, and throw down a Blizzard or two on him. His friends should fall easily, throw another if needed. In rare cases Pindleskin will be Cold Immune (CI) if so make a new game and restart the Pindleskin run.

Eldritch

He is like Pindleskin, get some Blizzards going hot and heavy. He should fall easily. Watch out, try to keep his minions chilled, so they don’t bombard you. They can do a good beating.

[Note] in Hell Mode Eldritch is always Cold Immune (CI), he may be a substitute for Pindleskin in Nightmare. Once your character gets flowing you may want to switch to Pindleskin for drops and experience in Hell Mode.

Mephisto

Use the moat trick to be out of range, and rain down Blizzards. It shouldn’t take too long. Make use of static shock if you can possibly get that close. If you too die easily go back to Nightmare Mode. The rewards are not as great, but it is a bit easier to take down Mephisto. Making a teleport wouldn’t be a bad idea either…

---------------------
    VIII. Thanks
    ---------------------

Just wanted to say thanks for all the help from the Sorceress forum here at rpgforums.net! You Diablo II players have had a big influence on my gaming and I want to contribute to the already growing pot of guides out there to help the Diablo II dynasty.

---------------------
    IX. Final Words
    ---------------------

This certainly isn’t the “end all†Sorceress guide. Remember, you play the game how you want to. I just try to suggest the best possible strategies available. Some may make this guide a bible. Others may read the first sentence and click away in disgust. However it goes I hope to help the readers of this forum to enjoy their Diablo II experience to its fullest extent.

Here is my Hotkey setup for the right click (my left click is always Glacial Spike)

F1 Blizzard
    F2 Static Field
    F3 Shiver Armor
    F4 Teleport

---------------------
    X. Errors / Mistakes
    ---------------------

This is the section where I post the updates to the guide. If you find anything wrong with it please tell me. I will be happy to update it. I will fix it, give me time.

*Updated Leveling Up Guide
    *Updated Notes all over the guide
    *Updated Sorceress Gear
    *Updated Hotkey Setup
    *Added Mercenary Gear
    *Added Pre Reqs to Skill Allocation section
    *Added small bits of insight all around

If you have questions or comments please ask them, I and the other readers of the forum would happily help you with you question.

---------------------
    Dark-Nova
    ---------------------

2. mathil

mathil IncGamers Member

overall, its a nice guide. it was indepth. except for the equipment section. you only listed one set of equipment. no doubt that is a good set, but it could be hard to get. i would list a few alternate items, lesser items for each slot. ie: tarnhelm, sigons shield. the other switches i can think of are rare items, and that doesn't need to be explained.

on the note of what if they have lesser gear, what if they are going untwinked. maybe this build isn't intended for being untwinked, but that is my $0.02.

oh, oh, i almost forgot. having town portal on hotkey is very useful. i do that with all my chars, though it ends up being anywhere from F5 to F8 depending how many skills i use.

3. Dark-Nova

Thanks for the reply. I want to make this guide really good so all of that advice helps.

I will work on my equipment section and my TP is at F8 - I forgot to mention that...

4. savvyguy

savvyguy IncGamers Member

Always max ice bolt before glacial spike....

ice bolt increases ice blast's damage where glacial spike only increases the freeze time of ice blast.

Spamming ice blast is very effective....

IMO, you should max ice bolt then blizzard then cold mastery then ice blast then glacial spike.

You can have 20 in ice bolt by the time you get blizzard and it will get you through normal as it's mana cost never goes up.

5. funk_man

funk_man Banned

i was thinking about ormus robes is that ne good

6. imap

imap IncGamers Member

Mephisto moat trick?

Mephisto

Use the moat trick to be out of range, and rain down Blizzards.

----
    Thanks for the guide. Two quick questions:
    1) What is the moat trick?
    2) Do you need a certain amount of fast cast to be able to teleport through the Durance effectively?

Thanks!

7. savvyguy

savvyguy IncGamers Member

The moat trick is where you make meph come down to the lower left side of the moat. He can't attack you but you can fire blizzard/meteor etc on him. It's pretty cheesy.

You need 63+ fast cast, 105+ is even better, but anything over 65 will work fine.

8. Dark-Nova

I totally agree with Savvy.

But I only have about 30% fast cast rate so far, I do Pindle Runs 5x as much instead because I die alot from Mephisto..

9. rdjw

rdjw IncGamers Member

according to the skill tree glacial spike gives 5 percent dmg to blizz per lvl