Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Dare I indulge in the dark side of D2 playing?

Discussion in 'Hardcore' started by Silkweed, Mar 9, 2004.

1. Silkweed

Silkweed IncGamers Member

Dare I indulge in the dark side of D2 playing?

I have never made a PK character.

I have been PK'd before and it really sucks, which I think lends itself to why I've never explored the option of making a PK character. But lately I've been mulling the idea around in my head, and I think I'd like to give it a try.

So first off, I would like to keep my first PK between the levels of 9 and 25. The two builds that jump to mind are the charge paladin and the kick assassin. Now, if I'm going to do this, I figure that style is everything, so the first step for me is to decide on what I'm going to call my character. If I go with the paladin, I'm gonna name him after a hardcore Christian philosopher/theologian. Something about the idea of reading "So-and-so was slain by Saint_Anselm" is appealing to me. Hegel was taken. I couldn't believe that. Even C.S. Lewis variations were all taken.

Alright, so let's say I make a charge paladin. Should I go one or two handed? What kind of stats do I need, and what's the basic template? How item dependant is the build? Can I make this kind of character with all shopped items and expect to do well, or is he going to be a glass tower?

Any advice is welcome. I'll be familiarising myself with related materials here and there.

2. Sharakorr

Sharakorr Banned

If u want to make a pk char then only pk in pking games. If u make a pk pally, make one wif a shield so he can block attacks

3. evils

evils IncGamers Member

Love the softcore mentality.. This is hardcore my dear friend. No such things as "pking games".

If you feel like PK'ing i'd say go for it. nothing like carving the ears off of chars 2 or even 3 times your level :)

and in the 9-25 range you have a load of other options.. bash/conc/leap barb, TS assassins, maul bear, peckerzon etc..

list of ppl to talk to:
    kicksin - SIP/PIS/blackram/whateverhisnewpostingacctis
    TS-sin - sonofrah, angel or me(i quit though so dont expect me to answer ;))
    bash/conc barb - HRTecira (iirc you built a bunch of bashers/concers beth?)
    leaper - Hakka (cant recall his posting acct), vick(shinobi.. dunno if he post here))
    ANY bear duelers - Baranor
    Peckerzon - Matt(i think he built a couple)

//Johnny

4. Matt

Matt IncGamers Site Pal

first you say style points are important, then you ask about making a charger... ;)

If you want to make a charger, might i suggest a 2 hander, level 18-21 zeal/charger?
    If you are set on a pure charger, anyone can answer your question:
    1 hander.
    max armor
    max helm
    4 socket, 60%ish ed, 100+AR +max'd pally shield
    6 socket waraxe (assuming charger only, i think this is the correct weapon? havent built any 1 hand chargers in a long while) with 6 max's
    ck boots (though if you go 20+, I personally prefer sanders, but they are damn close, plus sanders are much less of a pain to get)
    Deaths sash
    Bloodfist
    angelic jewelry
    Small charms of sustinence, if you hit 21, throw in some sharp grands

max might
    1 in smite
    rest in charge.

If you decide to go with a charge zealer:
    Change the bloodfists for deaths gloves, 30% ias is nice.
    I personally still like clegs sword on a charge zealot. Their +max is so high from everything else, and with zeal doing 5 hits, that DS is priceless, but its your call, other option would probably be a 6 socket military pick (better speed, little lower dmg than waraxe)
    Also, conscider twitch if you go with a zealot. It adds some nics mods including blocking, IAS, runwalk (iirc) 20 stats etc, very nice armor.
    IF you go with twitch, you might want to drop the clegs sword and go with a military pick because the DS on clegs relies on a lot of +max everywhere else, and at level 18, the difference between +max armor and +max twitch will be 30-45 max, which is a LOT. Therefore, lose the DS and gain back the +Max on a 6 socket military pick.

Just my ideas. If you are intrested in other builds, espically a jabberzon ;) Feel free to ask here! Good luck!

-Matt

EDIT: Shar, if you are thinking pk's should/will only pk in "pking games" Then you are in for a quick death at the hands of one., hopefully me ;)

5. STINGER

STINGER IncGamers Member

If you have never done this before be prepared to make 3-5 really quick!

Bad PKers die all the time.

If you want to deldge into the PvP deal and get exp at it make a PKK build and pick off the lame preicks that are lvl 18 after lvl 12's! Get your PvP fix and be a good guy instead of the butthole!

If you are going Charger to PKK screw the perfect max stuff as it is expensive and you will probably die quick anyway. Go for the life gear and a big two hander and you loose a little of nothing if you fail quick. Big life gear will allow an escape, and the big two hander will allow you to smoke those PKs that are built on low life and high damage.

No, I am not PvP guru but I did sleep at a holiday end last night!

6. det

det IncGamers Member

Just don't sink so low as the guy who hostiled my son today, as he played his lv 9 Paladin. How ppl get a kick out of a lv 90 Orb sorc killing a lv 9 character, I don't know. :(

7. STINGER

STINGER IncGamers Member

They dont care, its all ears.......he can take that ear and put it on a mule and claim it was what ever he wants to claim it to be.

8. lasthero

lasthero IncGamers Member

join the dark side its so muhc cooler over here :D a word of a advice is try to find your life : damage ratio, make sure you dont lean to either side to much or else your character wont be effective, too much life usually means not enough dmg, and too much dmg means not enough life to take a hit so find a nice ratio and ill guarantee youll survive out there, but itll prob take a few characters for you to find this out heh.

9. terrymanning

terrymanning IncGamers Member

Edit: I would also encourage him to him set himself apart from all other level 3x chargers in sewer run games.

TM

10. evils

evils IncGamers Member

no they dont, but they should :)

//Johnny

11. Silkweed

Well, I was crunching some numbers and doing some research last night, and here are my plans so far. Just keep in mind that this is a completely novel experience for me, so if there's anything that just screams "newbie," please just mention it to me kindly.

Anyway, I decided on the paladin thing just so that it would really work out with the name scheme. Whenever I make new characters, I usually spend like an hour just trying to come up with a suitable name, and then work the character around that.

So with my initial research, the first thing I found out right off the bat was that if I wanted to make a two handed charger, I'd need to be around level 24 since I'd probably want to use a Bonesnap (in following with the standard template). This is a higher level than I am comfortable with. I really want to keep my first PK char nice and low so that it's no big loss. Hell, I'd like to keep him in Act 1, although I foresee doing the sewer thing. So to that effect, I think I'm going to make a 1 handed charger, and maybe get him to level 12 or 13. The highest I'd want to go is 16 for Twitch.

Str: Presumably, enough for equipment
    Dex: Enough for equipment and possibly max block
    Vit: Remaining attribute points go here

1 Smite
    1 Charge
    Remaining points into Might, so between 14 and 15 after quests

Weapon: Clegaw's Sword for the DS
    Shield: Umbral Disk, U. Large Shield (Stormguild or something?), max pally shield
    Armor: Either socketed with +max jewels or rubies, Twitch, anything else?
    Helm: Max helm, rubied helm
    Gloves: Death's Hand or Bloodfist
    Belt: Death's Sash
    Boots: Hsaru's, Gorefoot or Treads

Rings & Ammy: Angelic set

Most of this stuff I already have, or can get my hands on easily. The only thing that I would be adverse to losing would be Bloodfists, since they're completely viable late game gloves (and I only have one pair). I'd just as soon use the Death's gloves for the 30% ias, 8%ll and 15 all res.

Now, most of the guides I read dealt with using this build as a lld, but since what I'm aiming to do is ambush people who have zero chance of fighting back effectively (I think I just put it as plainly as possible), how worried ought I to be about things like life and blocking?

Stinger, while I appreciate the pep talk about being a good guy, it is for the first time since I started playing this game what I'm not going for. My personal stand on PKing is that it's an acceptable, and indeed necessary in some ways, aspect of the game that can be avoided. There are a lot of things about PKing that I find are wrong, things like using maphack, chicken hack, or exploiting inherent bugs in the game (things like hydras and hammers, yes I know hydras was fixed). I also think it goes wrong when PKers aren't civil about what it is that they're doing. Excessive gloating, or swearing.

I don't plan on being that kind of PK.

That said, I don't know what it'll be like for me, which partly is why I think I need to explore it. I may discover that I just don't have the nerve to ruin someone else's day. Or maybe I'll love it and get into the lld scene, and eventually become a more pvp oriented player (although I doubt it, PvP was never a strong suit for me in 1.09 SC...).

12. STINGER

STINGER IncGamers Member

Unfortunately the PKs that most of us run into day in and day out are either same or higher lvl than thier targets and lame..........take that in consideration anybody can do that!

Most Pks taking off after people like that are weak and easily killed and you dont need the max gear for most of them.

13. Silkweed

I plan on being roughly the same level as my prey, within 5 levels either way. I don't think that a level 14 killing a level 9 is that lame, but then again, I've never been on either end of that situation, so I fully expect my views to change.

I would agree that something like a level 90 killing a level 9 is lame though. But then if I were a level 9, and a level 90 sorceress hostiled me, I wouldn't stick around, so you can really argue it either way.

I remember in a famous Descent questionaire, one of the questions was "What is the best weapon?" to which the answer is "The one that kills your enemy." So hey, whatever.

Anyway, I don't want this thread to turn into a debate on ethics. I have my own set of ethics, and I'm not looking to refine them, I'm just asking for statistical help on what would be the best way to make a PK player.

Is all the equipment in order? How much strength do I need? Block or no block? What kind of damage should I expect to be doing?

14. lasthero

lasthero IncGamers Member

Most things youhave look good although perhaps i woudl suggest a 4 socket pally shield with ed , ar or all res, this shield coudl substantially increase your damage output, and dont forgot to have some life charms in your inventory, as for worry, most pvmers wont be able to stand a chance but you need to worry a little about the other pkers in the game or pkkers., and if your going chargepally i suggest bloodfists instead of deaths gloves as the ias will from deaths gloves wont help you much

15. terrymanning

terrymanning IncGamers Member

The best way? Make a high level character to prey on lower level characters. You know, level 90 killing a level 9. Safest way to ensure positive results. :lol:

TM

16. Corndog

Corndog IncGamers Member

I will gaurantee that any decently built PKK will work you with that gear and build so careful who you hostile. Hopefully your on West. :wave:

17. baalos

baalos IncGamers Member

Don't forget about charms. You want to max your inventory with the best life charms you can find, and leave only enough room to pick up an ear. Your gear looks fine.

18. Baranor

Baranor IncGamers Member

The threads about to pk or not to pk and wheter or not it is allowed are not about ethics. They are about opinions. I would be happy to discuss ethics with you provided you know all about utilism, deontology and consequentialism, to mention but a few of the terms we'd be throwing around.

Ethics Schmethics. As long as you don't use cheats and stay polite you're ok in my book.

19. Baranor

Baranor IncGamers Member

Then he should make an expensive jabber with at least 700-800 life, max block and high dodge... he will set himself apart and take the pallies apart.

20. Silkweed

By ethics, I just meant the "rights and wrongs" of PKing, which I agree are completely subjective. If you wanna get philosophical, I'd stand by Kant's Catagorical Imperative, which is just a fancy term for saying "Treat others the way you yourself would like to be treated." I don't think I've heard of utilism, consequentialism or deontology.

Charmwise, I don't know that I have too many life charms. I'm just as likely to start out with hardly any charms and then as I find suitable charms with my other characters I'll slowly add them. I figure anything with dex, strength, AR, or damage is fair game.

How important are resists? I mean, at these levels, how important are they?

About the PKK's, what should I look out for? Kickassins and other chargers come to mind, but what else?