Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Danica Patrick becomes the first woman to lead the Indy 500! der=0

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by mhl12, May 29, 2005.

1. mhl12

mhl12 IncGamers Member

Danica Patrick becomes the first woman to lead the Indy 500!

Well, I just finished watching the coverage of the Indy 500. The end was pretty suspensful. For a few minutes I thought that Danica Patrick was not only gonna be the first woman to lead in the Indy 500, but also win one too. But she had to conserve fuel and Dan Wheldon won the race in the end while she finished fourth. Anway, congrats to Danica Patrick for this remarkable feat that will go down in history! :thumbsup:

2. Necrolestes

Necrolestes IncGamers Member

Girl power!

If not for that stalling of her engine around lap 70, she might well have won it. Even so, this is the best finish by a woman and remember, this was her first Indy 500 race and she is a rookie. In one year's time, I would not be at all surprised to see her take the checkered flag.

3. AeroJonesy

AeroJonesy IncGamers Member

I think there's so much focus on her being a woman that a lot of people are forgetting she's a rookie. I only caught a little bit of the race, but she did a great job, considering she made her way up to 4th, stalled her car, and made her way back to 4th again.

4. mhl12

mhl12 IncGamers Member

actually, she had 1st place for a while in the last few laps.

5. Ranger14

Ranger14 IncGamers Member

Very well done indeed!! Plus she's hot!! :D

6. Amra

Amra IncGamers Member

Congrats to her for sure.

Although the announcer saying something like "in 50 years you will remember where you were when she took the lead".... blah blah blah.

It's not like she landed on Mars or something.

Now we just need a woman driver in NASCAR!! ;)

7. skihard

skihard Banned

When there is a woman rider in GP500, AMA or World Superbike racing then I'll be impressed. The only reason it took this long for a woman to drive and be top in auto racing is because it's always been considered a man’s sport. Because it’s always been considered a man’s sport women couldn’t get the backing required to have a top car. In Indy racing, and to a degree most all automotive racing, the car and the team is the largest part of a winning combination. The exception to that is probably drag racing where it is 50/50 team/car and driver

In drag racing the phobia against woman drivers has long been past and it isn’t a big deal to see women at the track doing more than watching.

Motorcycle racing is different all together where the skill of the rider is a huge advantage during the race. GP500 is probably the exception here as a factory bike is so far more advanced than a private bike that the riders roll is only important between the top 5 or 6 factory riders. Motocross racing is also a skill of the rider sport.

8. Ranger14

Stefy Bau has been quite accomplished in the AMA Superbike arena. Last time I checked she is a female.

9. Geeno

Geeno IncGamers Member

Without her that car would have been nothing.

10. skihard

skihard Banned

Sorry but no she’s not an accomplished AMA Superbike Racer.

She is quite accomplished in the Women's Motocross League (WML Pro), that isn’t the same as racing in the Pro National. Currently a grand total of Zero women have managed to qualify for the Pro National which is done by winning a number of races in different regions, and has nothing to do with sex but with the rider’s record.

That car like any car is nothing without a driver, but that car with anyone in the field this past weekend could have finished just as good.

Don’t get me wrong I’m not trying to be a typical male pig, but I believe that too much emphasis is being put on her sex.

11. Amra

Amra IncGamers Member

Of course it is. But ABC had to play that ratings card. It's all about money.

12. Ranger14

Ok, that's where you confused me because Stefy and Jessica Patterson, etc. all are part of the AMA. The WMA and WML is part of the AMA, so that's where you lost me. She is very accomplished in the AMA, just not in the men's division. Stefy won the Men's National Amatueur Championship back when she competed in that in 1995, she has been put into a couple Playstation games and is getting a lot of attention for her ability. From what I have read the women are not given the same opportunity to compete in the men's division and have trouble getting sponsorship. I think it is a big deal when a woman can be successful in a sport that is dominated by men, where men are given more of an opportunity to be successful.

13. skihard

skihard Banned

She has the same opportunities as anyone in motocross, she simply needs to travel to the various regionals and qualify in the top 5. Do that enough times and you get a national ranking, get a national ranking and you can ride in the pro national. She has her eyes set on that very thing but to this point has not managed to get the points required to do so. Now take Ricky Carmichael, he was winning nationals and was picked up by a factory team at age 16 and now rides the number one plate. He unseated the great McGrath in his 3rd year in 250’s and is still under 25 years old. Stefy Bau is already 28 years old I believe.