Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Damn that global warming

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Sir EvilFreeSmeg, Oct 4, 2006.

1. Sir EvilFreeSmeg

Sir EvilFreeSmeg Banned

Damn that global warming

WHAT? SAY IT AIN'T SO! It's happened before? Before man existed? That's it! I officially blame the sun for global warming. Damn that sun...

2. jackthelad

jackthelad IncGamers Member

6 degrees C in 10,000 years compared to 1 degree in 45. Hardly 'happened before.'

3. Merick

Merick IncGamers Member

No one has ever denied that there's natural cyclic climate changes. The question is to what extent is our current warming is due to pumping out huge amounts of gasses that don't occur naturally in such numbers. The fact that the climate changed during the dinosaur's time has nothing to do with the current global warming debate.

And as Jack pointed out, it seems to be going at a faster rate then has been measured before.

4. Sir EvilFreeSmeg

Sir EvilFreeSmeg Banned

How do we know that? We have specific data for the past 100 years. 10,000 years ago we have only what we can get out of sample cores. It's good but not as good as daily measurements. Who knows if 8006 B.C. was 1 degree warmer or colder than 7956 B.C.? We just don't have the data to back that up.

What we do have is scientists that get big grants if they find data that says WE'RE ALL GONNA DIE! Take government grants out of the picture and we'll get better science

5. S Z

S Z IncGamers Member

Precisely. Perhaps you'll spare us the bull**** then?

6. Sir EvilFreeSmeg

Sir EvilFreeSmeg Banned

Just as soon as morons like Al Gore stop running around telling us that we're causing the Earth to warm up.

7. bladesyz

bladesyz IncGamers Member

No, what we do have is human activity outputing tons of greenhouse gases, and the global temperature getting warmer and warmer.

Put your head in the sand if you want, but if there's a smoking gun and a bullet hole, chances are the bullet came from that gun.

8. S Z

S Z IncGamers Member

I wonder where in that article it states, or even argues suggestively with a hint of sexy calf and a pout, that we aren't causing the Earth to warm up.

Come now Smeg, your heart just doesn't seem to be in it these days. There was a time you'd make up a better justification for your position in your sleep, but the more time goes on the less convinced all you climate-change naysayers sound.

9. Stoutwood

Stoutwood IncGamers Member

We don't even have sample cores for the dinosaurs. There wasn't an ice cap.

It isn't an "oh noes we're all going to die" issue, at least, provided the people arguing it aren't morons. I'm not even quite sure what the issue is, since even if we stop producing greenhouse gases the positive feedback of global warming will keep it going. That is assuming we have something to do with it, which I personally don't dispute.

10. Merick

Merick IncGamers Member

11. Sir EvilFreeSmeg

Sir EvilFreeSmeg Banned

So how does that explain why Mars is getting warmer also? Did you forget the sun is outputting more energy lately? Oops

Hotter sun...

Why bother. Nobody wants to accept that the sun is hotter now than it's been for a long time. All the libs ever want to do is blame people. Specifically Americans. Nevermind that our pollution is a fraction of what China puts out, they never get the heat. It's hard to give a **** anymore when the doom-and-gloomers are so off the wall kooky that they're proud of being kooks.

12. KillerAim

KillerAim IncGamers Member

jackthelad:
    I’ll match your 1 degree in 45 years to the Earth’s 2.7 degree drop in 24 years according to Time Magazine.

Care to explain how the Earth's temperature dropped for a quarter of the century when carbon emissions were on the increase?

-

bladesyz:
    Correlation does not equate to causation.

Noting that the Earth's temperature has been rising since you've been born, I can use your logic to conclude that YOU are the cause of Global Warming.

-

Stoutwood:
    Scientists can't even agree if the feedback is positive or negative. Water vapor, by far, has the largest greenhouse effect, especially when it's concentrated in clouds. That should be obvious to anyone going out outside in the summer on a cloudy day compared to a sunny one. Most scientists assume that increasing temperatures will increase the amount of water vapor in the atmosphere.

The science needed to accurately project cloud cover is not even in its infancy; that's why most climate models either ignore it or use very broad estimates for it. That is also a major factor in explaining why the best climate model cannot even predict historical temperatures accurately let alone project these temperature estimates out for hundreds of years with any level of confidence.

13. Sir EvilFreeSmeg

Sir EvilFreeSmeg Banned

anyway, who gives a rip if it's getting warmer? We'll get more of this to oogle :thumbsup:

EDIT:
    To go along with that I need to remind everybody that this is a good month

14. maccool

maccool IncGamers Member

You're just not really that good at science, Smeg. This monthly 'global warming' idiocy of yours serves no purpose...wait...

Ah, there it is. Carry on.

Care to explain how a non-scientific, non-peer reviewed article from 1974 and with the term "junk science" in the URL is proof? Hint: it's the same article that people have been trotting out as 'evidence' for 30 years.

15. Stoutwood

Stoutwood IncGamers Member

It has nothing to do with that nonsense. It involves increasing global temperature and the fact that the solubility of a gas decreases with increasing temperature.

16. Sir EvilFreeSmeg

Sir EvilFreeSmeg Banned

Sure it does. It pokes another hole in the ZOMG MAN IS KILLING US ALL!!! paranoia.

I fail to see how SUVs caused global warming 120 million years ago. If we listen to the "experts" and assorted perpetual C-grade scientists, it's man causing global wamring and no other factor is possible. It's our evil SUVs and factories that are KILLING MOTHER GAIA! Oh the huge manatee!

But don't let the opposing voice have a say. Nope. Can't let that happen. Fascism anybody?

17. maccool

maccool IncGamers Member

It would. If you had the ability to discuss your claims scientifically. So, you've stated:

Is it? Proof please. Keep in mind that I will hold you to the same standard you hold Earth climate data. That is, last 100 years, peer reviewed articles.

Is it? Proof please. Keep in mind that I will hold you to the same standard you hold Earth climate data. That is, last 100 years, peer reviewed articles.

**** or get off the pot.

Best of luck to you. I'd suggest starting with Eos: Transactions of the American Geophysical Union. They have 1-2 page articles that might be a little long for you, but I think you can do it. If you need some other journals, I'd be happy to suggest some for you. Let me know.

Mindless twaddle. Again, you can have a say when you a) understand the subject (a 6th grade understanding of the Earth is sufficient), b) are willing to discuss the subject intelligently, and c) recognize that a fringe group of non-scientists (like yourself) doesn't speak for the scientific community as a whole.

Oh, you'd rather do sound bites and make loud noises than provide any substance. I see. Good luck with that.

18. Sir EvilFreeSmeg

Sir EvilFreeSmeg Banned

Like you said, I'm not a scientist. I don't even know where to look for those articles. I'm merely design buildings. I leave the minutea of the issue to the eggheads.

But I must ask of you, where have you ever posted a peer-reviewed article with 100 years of information? You haven't and I wouldn't expect you too. Not enough of us are eggheads. But go ahead, be an elitist. We all know you're better than everybody else. You've told us so.

19. bladesyz

bladesyz IncGamers Member

So now the Greenhouse Effect is correlation?

Do you even know what that term means, or do you just trot it out to make yourself sound smart?

You sure love to sing that same old refrain, don't you? Do you even read other people's replies?

20. maccool

maccool IncGamers Member

Lithos and Journal of Metamorphic Petrology to name two. Lucky for me Eskola did his stuff in 1905, huh?

Just asking you to back up your claims is all. If you have to resort to ad hom attacks, super. If you can't or are unwiling to defend your position, admit it and we can move on - until the next time you post the exact same topic.