Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Damn Cabbies

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Stompwampa, Sep 30, 2006.

1. Stompwampa

Stompwampa IncGamers Member

Damn Cabbies

Well, now apparently there are some Muslim cab drivers in the Minneapolis/St. Paul area who are refusing to give rides to people who have alcholol on them, or are under the influence of alcholol. . . for religious purposes.
    Now, there is work to get legislation going to create color-coded taxi cabs for taxi's that will not give rides to people with or using alcohol. And it's perfectly OK.
    So what next? Someone decides that homosexuality is against thier religious beliefs so they refuse to give rides to gay people?
    I say just fire them all, or make them give the damn rides. After all, it is thier job. Besides, isn't a majority of cab company business from giving drunks a ride home from downtown?

2. superdave

superdave IncGamers Member

if i was a cabbie, i would refuse to give rides to ugly people.

3. ModeratelyConfused

ModeratelyConfused Banned

That's just stupid... But hey, if they don't want to make money, by all means let them turn away customers.

4. Stompwampa

yea, but it also cost's their employer money. I wouldn't tolerate that kind of thing if I were the boss.

5. Merick

Merick IncGamers Member

Against your religion to drink, fine. Against your religion to give cab rides to drunk strangers? Does it really say that somewhere?

6. raffster

raffster IncGamers Member

I still remember this chat I had with a New York City taxi driver who brought me back to my apartment in Hoboken, NJ a few years ago. He was Egyptian and was quite talkative. He told me his worst experience as a taxi driver (second to getting mugged or customers who do not pay and run away) are DRUNK passengers. (He did not mention about religious purposes though). He just said that drunk passengers usually throw up in the cab and it would just make it difficult to get additional passengers the rest of the night (or early morning).

I honestly think that, if I had a choice, I would stay clear from drunk passengers if I were a taxi driver. God forbid they throw up on me. Yuck!!!

7. superdave

i always tip good when i hurl on the driver.

8. PlagueBearer

PlagueBearer IncGamers Member

Agreed. Unless said driver was self-employed and owned his own cab (rare) I'd expect an employer to be within his rights to fire said driver for this behavior.

I assume this is the intention of this movement: to get the boss to fire one of them so they have somthing to point their "you hate Muslims" card at.

9. Stompwampa

and then strap bombs to thier chest and blow up the cab company...

oh, sorry...was I generalizing again? :lipsrsealed:

10. PlagueBearer

PlagueBearer IncGamers Member

How DARE you? We Muslims are not violent! Ours is a religion of peace and love!

Just for that, I'm going to BURN YOUR ****ING HOUSE DOWN.

11. Carnage-DVS

Carnage-DVS IncGamers Member

Shutup! I'm trying to infiltrate the American structure from up on high, and these stupid low level recruits keep spoiling things by bringing attention to themselves!

12. Yaboosh

Yaboosh IncGamers Member

We get mad at this but we don't get up in arms when NYC cabbies don't pick up black people?

13. superdave

they don't? that's not right.

14. WebDragon

WebDragon IncGamers Member

Easy now. Let's not get carried away.

Anyway, about those cabbies. I would understand if they were objecting to carrying overly intoxicated passengers for the hurl factor, the smell factor, or just the "I find that looking at a human being in an intoxicated state is repulsive to me" factor. However, that actually isn't the case.

I looked up the story, and found it here. The cabbies are objecting to passengers carrying alcohol with them. I'll address this from three prespectives...

Religious: Islam not only forbids the consumption of alcohol, but its also is a sin to make it, pour it for others, etc. So, by extention, I would imagine that the definition could be streched to cover helping others move it. I'm not an expert on this, but I could imagine some people interpreting the avoidance of alcohol to include this.

FYI, I personally wasn't sure whether helping someone carrying alcohol would be considered a sin in Islam. Its just something I never thought about. I looked at some resources but found no answers. I actually emailed an Islamic website to get some of their more knowledgable people give an answer on this.

Social: These people have chosen to live in a country that allows alcohol. As such, they should expect to run into people consuming, carrying, buying, or selling alcohol quite often. They chose this society to make their community. So, for better or worse, they will have to deal with it in their own way. If its too offensive too them, then they can insulate themselves from it if they wish i.e. work in a field that doesn't expose them to that which offends them. Stay in the confines of the ever increasing number of Islamic or Arabic neighbourhoods, etc.

Business: If its their cab, then its their lost income. Case closed. If they work for a company that requires a flat amount from them per day (say 50 dollars a day) and whatever excess goes to the driver, then as long as they pay their dues, and don't cause the company a PR fiasco, then it would also be fine. If the business makes its money from a percentage scheme, where they make money from every passenger, then I'd fire them after a warning or two.

My opinion on the matter is... They're just trying to make waves. Most islamic countries have places that sell alcohol and the cabbies here have to deal with just as many drunks and they do in the US. I've never heard anyone here complain about it being against his religion.

15. HAMC8112

HAMC8112 IncGamers Member

Hahahahah! :laugh:

Way to go! That is what i always say, the only difference is that i mean it.

Come on leftfoot! Do your 26th Gansta thing. :laugh:

16. Dondrei

Dondrei IncGamers Member

That's stupid.

If they're self-employed, they can do whatever silly crap they want - well, except for discrimination. Maybe you could mount a court case saying that this amounts to religious discrimination, I doubt it though.

If they're working for an employer, I'm sure he'd be well within his rights to fire them. Well, fingers crossed anyway.

One easy way to view these problems is to remove all references to religion. So "I don't want these passengers taking alcohol with them on my cab because it violates my religion" becomes "I don't want these passengers taking alcohol with them on my cab because I don't agree with it". In this case, what should happen?

17. Stompwampa

It's still a pretty weak religious argument...I'd be curious what this story would be like if it were Christians refusing the fares because of the few obscure Biblical texts that refute alcohol consumption.

18. Carnage-DVS

Carnage-DVS IncGamers Member

But you see, they'd be obscure Biblical texts. Forbidding alcohol in Islam is certainly not an obscure part of the Qu'ran.

19. Stompwampa

Then you're just asking for trouble in the courts...who's to say that one person's interpreation is more correct than another's when it comes to religious texts?

20. WebDragon

WebDragon IncGamers Member

I've done a little checking about the subject. Actually, the prohibition of alcohol is quite clear and is agreed upon by all the scholars. However, the prohibition doesn't only extend to drinking it. Pretty much all the scholars also agree, based on the texts, that the prohibition extends to pouring it, carrying it for someone else, transporting it, etc. It would be well within the provable realm of interpretation that driving a person who is intoxicated or is carrying alcohol would be against Islamic beliefs. From what I've learned, that specific point is not refutable by any interpretation.

However, that is not to say that I agree with what they're doing. When the decided to be cabbies, they should have realized the implications. If they accept them, then that's up to them. If they don't accept these implications, and so get leniency from their employeers, then they should be very grateful. But anything more than that would be reaching.

To be honest, I'm on two minds about this. One the one hand, I'm happy to see people who won't compromise their religious principles because of practicality, and that's comendable. On the other hand, that decision should be something that they take upon themselves, and not make the society around them carry the burden of.