Latest Diablo 3 News
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Dammit, my little rant.

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Lazer LXXVII, Nov 5, 2006.

1. Lazer LXXVII

Lazer LXXVII Diabloii.Net Member

Dammit, my little rant.

Im a freshman in college, started a few months ago. I had to quit my job because they kind of didnt understand that i have priorities i need to take over my part time job, and they would give me these hours like 39 per week, just enough so im counted as part time. I worked every friday night, saturday night, and all day long sunday along with shifts during the week where i may have classes from 8:00-10:45, they would call me in at 12:00 and make me work until 10:00, by the time i got home i would be too tired to do any schoolwork or anything.

So i had to quit that job. Now recently i got accepted to work at Walgreens Pharmacy, my friends mom is the manager back there. Problem is now, im so used to being lazy and not working, i dont want to change now. Though all the money i had saved up for months now is starting to fade away now. Im supposed to go into Walgreens to do 40 hours of paid training, but i havent done it yet.

Now that money is getting low, im having a dillema. I honestly dont play games nearly as much as i used to, all i play now is Diablo and occasionally Madden or something with some buddies. I bought an Xbox 360 back in February, well because i wanted one, that and i was in a really bad car accident so i needed something to do while i spent a little under 2 weeks at home, couldnt leave anywhere. It was damn worth it, and i said i wouldnt buy another system just because i hardly play games anymore and this will keep my needs full.

But now looking at the Wii, at the upcoming games. I just realized that i had a Gamecube, i dont own many games for it, but the few that i own kept me busy for hours. The Wii is $200 and the games are $50, compared to the 360's $400 and $60. Im very tempted to get a job just so i can get this, its a bit immature, but its way too tempting.

But with a job, i honestly find it difficult to focus on schoolwork. If im not in class or at work, then i want to do something with my leisure time, i dont want to study since i've been working by either going to work or going ot class. So i really throw off all my studying, but i still do most of the assignments. Now, without a job i have enough time to study and do all of the assignments, but it also leaves me LOTS of downtime that i spend doing unproductive things. Going out, hanging around with friends, playing Diablo, watching movies, playing other videogames, driving around, and just wasting time online.

So this is my little dillema, im running out of the money i had saved up. I dont want a job because i know ill start falling behind in schoolwork. But i do want a job because i want money, and i find myself slacking around doing nothing a good amount of the time. Its strange but does anyone have any input, i cant get my head straight in this situation.

2. Bortaz

Bortaz Banned

Yes. You're turning into Raffster. Do a search for him and read his story, if you don't know who he is.

3. rare

rare Diabloii.Net Member

Welcome to real life.

4. Lazer LXXVII

I just looked up Raffster, he seems more lost in general.

Im not lost, i just find it difficult to have a job and go to college at the same time. He seems like he doesnt have any friends, missing a girlfriend, knows nothing about his next step in life (no offense). I have friends, have a girlfriend, and i know what im planning to do with my life. Its just the job thing. Either i go to class, go straight to work, come home and do nothing because im worn out. Or i go to class, come home, do my assignments, study, then do whatever i want but not have money.

5. Gertlex

Gertlex Banned

Wii is $250...:undecided:

You could be like the people in my hall and just play in someone else's room that has a Wii... My room is a focal point of the hall with PS2, Gamecube, Xbox360 and Dreamcast. Play with people, it's more fun.

6. Raistlin Majere

Raistlin Majere Diabloii.Net Member

39 hours a week is not part time, its full time. I work abut 25 hours a week and if anything, they need to work me more.

7. Module88

Module88 Diabloii.Net Member

You have a girlfriend? Get a job. Worried about not having time for school? Does "girlfriend" mean anything to you? How about a connection between "worn out," and "broke"? :laugh: :shocked:

8. Dondrei

Dondrei Diabloii.Net Member

You're not alone, fitting a job in with university can be very difficult. I took up tutoring because the pay was pretty good and it didn't take up much of my time, otherwise I never would've worked through uni. It would've taken up way too much of my time, even if it were casual.

9. Lazer LXXVII

They just kept me right below 40 hours, whatever thats all over, they would try to take advantage of anyone in there. Then again, i quit after 2 other people quit too, so they were in really bad shape.

Now im about to head off to get tutoring for math, something school related.

10. LonghornRob

LonghornRob Diabloii.Net Member

I got lucky and found a job on campus, at night, that pays $8 an hour and is part time. Now, I really don't sleep enough but I've had the job for a year and a half and so I'm used to it. I get a ton of money from financial aid, also, so all in all the money factor is not a problem. Next semester, however, is going to be a challenging one as I will put myself on the vampire schedule: Sleep from noon to seven or eight, wake up, head to work and then class and then sleep.

11. Lazer LXXVII

I think i might try to look into an on-campus job. I want to work at the pharmacy, but just something tells me even though its my friends mom, they wont respect my school schedule like any other part time college job. On-campus jobs pay less, but hell, they can respect the fact that i have other **** to do for school.

And ****, i just found out today that Gears of War comes out on the same day as Call of Duty 3. I only have two 360 games, (Madden 07 and Oblivion), i was looking forward to both, now that i found out they both come out the same day, im in a dillema.

12. Raft Boy

Raft Boy Diabloii.Net Member

Besides the on-campus job, you could try looking for a receptionist/desk job. I had one back when I was in college a few years ago, and they let me do my homework at the desk as long as all the work-related duties were done first.

13. ragnar_ii

ragnar_ii Diabloii.Net Member

You said it in your second sentence of this thread. School is more important to you then a job. So, if you cant find a job that will fit with your schedule, then so what. Your games will simply have to wait. Its no big deal really, because once you get to junior year you simply wont have time for games even without a job. May as well get used to it now. Just whatever you do, do not let anything stop you from getting your degree. You already mentioned its your top priority. Let it remain there until you get it.

And if you ever find that you do have some free time, just fire up mIRC and join the chat.

14. Lazer LXXVII

Oh yeah, definately, it is my number one priority. But i will eventually have to start mooching money off my parents, for everything, gas, food, then the fun stuff for myself. That will make me feel guilty. I wish there was a job that respects your schoolwork, respects you as a student and doesnt try to screw you every shot they get.

15. ragnar_ii

ragnar_ii Diabloii.Net Member

Yeah, I know exactly what you mean. I hated having to ask for gas money to get to school. Fortunately for me, a part time job almost fell into my lap with all of the properties that you listed.

I suggest trying to get a job on campus, like you said. Also once you have taken some easy courses and if you get an A or whatever the requirement is, become a tutor for that class along with keeping your other job. That is of course if your school offers a tutoring program. I know that my school has a tutoring program and pays students $10/hr to tutor other students.

16. Bortaz

Bortaz Banned

How dare they expect you to work at a job.

17. Lazer LXXVII

No its not that, its that i applied to work somewhere under certain conditions. A few weeks after i settle in, they just throw those conditions away, set totally new standards for me that interferes with school, and eventually put me to the point where im the only person in the entire STORE working while everyone just hangs around and talks.

I go to a job, i plan to work. Thats how that goes, of course. But if i apply under certain conditions, i expect to work those conditions unless ASKED otherwise.

18. Bortaz

Bortaz Banned

If you're not happy with an employer, and you're not under contract, and you want money, go to another employer. What's the dilemma?

19. Module88

Module88 Diabloii.Net Member

I don't know about your school, but at mine, if you work at the cafeterias, they feed you and pay you. That way, you can save yourself money on food and have some more to spend on other things. =/

20. DurfBarian

DurfBarian Diabloii.Net Member

The job vs. schoolwork thing is a real concern. You've got to find a balance between getting your studies done well and earning the money you need to keep yourself in microwave burritos and instant noodles.

The other stuff? About the games and the money to play with? Give it up. Sell all the games and consoles and concentrate on what needs to get done.