Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Damge/Magic Dam. Red., does it work the way i think it does? der=0

Discussion in 'Diablo 2 Community Forum' started by manfaux, Mar 31, 2005.

1. manfaux

manfaux IncGamers Member

Damge/Magic Dam. Red., does it work the way i think it does?

hi all

i had asked this question before however i still have doubts about it

i get how the DR/Magic DR works if they come in %
    such as raven frost(well it absorbs but iguess the same principle), vampire gaze etc

HOWEVER, things like thundergod's belt, hellmouth (they do absorbtion but i guess it applies as well)
    tgod, for example, has +15 lighting absob, that seems to be nothing cuz the gloams(i think that's how you spell it :rolleyes: ) in hell can deal hundreds of damage per shot, but after i put tgod on, the absorption- seems to me that it's VERY noticable, i have no idea why, 15 doesnt sound like a big number at all in Hell game.
    samething with the DR/Magic DR, or a Mal rune socketed into an armor, i've seen people done that and it does help :eek: (Mal only gives you 7 Magic DR)

So, i dont get how these numbers work, maybe 15 or 7 dont simple represent the actual damage value? can anyone answer me this quesiton?

2. Orphan

Orphan IncGamers Member

Hey,

A few things that I would just like to note. Tgods has +20 Lightning absorb, but the thing to remember about absorb, is that it nullifies the damage by double. So, +20 lighthing absorb is effectively 40 lighting damage gone, unless your full HP, whereby you'll only benefit from the +20, because the healing side of the absorb is calculated first.

Also, absorb is calculated after resistances. So, sometimes, the absorb could be enough to get rid of a fair amount of what's left of the damage, after your resistances have taken them down.

Also, with the gloams. I think there was a bug or something with them, whereby they hit you multiple times for low damage, not a single powerfull hit. I don't really want to go too much into it here, as I'm not confident I have all the facts right, though.

3. RTB

RTB IncGamers Member

Gloams can hit for 200 - 300 (400 - 600 when critical) lightning dmg per attack. This is a single hit, but with 85% lightning resist and 20 absorb more than half the attacks heal you.

4. ladydraxis

ladydraxis IncGamers Member

The problem with the gloams is that their lightning bolts are not a one 'hit' attack. If you are standing still, and the entire bolt runs through you, you get 'hit' up to 5 times. So when you take the 200-300 damage (or 400-600 when critical), and you multiply it by five, you get a damage range of 1000-1500 (or up to 2000-3000 when critical). That's why they are so dangerous.

(I cannot vouch for the actual numbers on the damage, but I am certain about the multiple hits per lightning bolt, so my point remains the same, whatever the actual damage numbers are)

5. BFD

BFD IncGamers Member

IIRC, I thought it was only the 'head' of the lightning attack that actually did damage with souls.

6. RTB

RTB IncGamers Member

One bolt can only hit once. You're gonna need a very fast amazon with Slow Missiles to catch the lightning again, for a another hit.

BFD: Correct.