Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Damage to elite

Discussion in 'Diablo 3 General Discussion' started by Wurmer, Feb 28, 2015.

1. Wurmer

Wurmer IncGamers Member

I am trying different setups for my monk to run GR. I have been switching gear and my DTE varies from 30% to 45%. I have yet to make my mind as far as the best setup is concerned. With the highest DTE my raw damage is lower in general but I can definitely see a difference against elite but my trash mob killing speed is a bit slower...

What are you guys aiming for as far as DTE is concerned ?

2. tougeznut

tougeznut IncGamers Member

Just try to get it everywhere you can where it benefits you. Rings (soj/unity), sets (blackthorns, aughilds), weapons (sunkeeper, furnace), and gems (botp @ 25). It's easy to hit 40 with a soj and BT set.

3. LukDeRiff

LukDeRiff IncGamers Member

Aiming for an arbritrary number when it comes to Damage to Elites, Sheet DPS or Toughness is not a very helpful attititude when it comes to making progress for your character.

I am not saying the Elite Damage does not matter but saying "you need x% of Elite Damage to succeed" will not get you anywhere. The real answer to your question is: "Well, it depends."

It depends on a ton of different factors: class, build, available items, personal playstyle, hc or sc and so on. A perfect example for the monk is the choice of rune for Wave of Light in season 2.

Most players use Gundgo Gear in GRifts and the vast majority use the Exploding Palm Rune Impending Doom. This rune has the most powerful explosion and deals cold damage so most players use cold damage% on their bracers. In order to proc the EP most players use Wave of Light, now the natural intuition would be to use the cold rune for Wave of Light but it turns out that the Lightning Rune still deals more damage even if you have no bonus to lightning damage. Thus you should use the Lightning Rune (if you want to maximise your damage).

What I am really trying to get at here is that you should test it and go with whatever works best. Theorycrafting is fun but your theory has to hold up in practise.

4. Wurmer

Wurmer IncGamers Member

I agree with you. My question was in fact what % is necessary all thing considered. About sheet DPS, you are right also, it does tell the ole story. I have seen this quite often my different characters. You see your damage dropped by 150k but in the end, your characters is more efficient.