Damage Reduction Question

SubtleAmaranth

Diabloii.Net Member
Damage Reduction Question

How exactly does damage reduction work? Does it stack?
If you have a stormshield (35%) shafstop (30%) vurdungos (15%)and coa (15%) do you only take 5% of the damage dished out to you?

Dennis_KoreanGuy

Diabloii.Net Member
50% is the maximum cap for PDR. Yes it stacks.

Jeez, people with their same questions over and over again. search fool. ^^

SSoG

Diabloii.Net Member
50% is the maximum cap for PDR. Yes it stacks.

Jeez, people with their same questions over and over again. search fool. ^^
Minor nit, to prevent confusion...

50% is *NOT* the cap for PDR. PDR is "straight" damage reduction (i.e. "damage reduced by x"), and is not capped. DR (aka %DR) is "damage reduced by x%", and THAT is what is capped at 50%.

Again, it's a minor nit, but it just helps keep the two different types of damage reduction separate, because their uses and applications are drastically different.

Orphan

Diabloii.Net Member
It should also be noted that like normal resistances, if you have greater than 50% physical resistance, and you're hit with amplify damage or decrepify, the overflow will help negate the -physical resistance of those two skills (-100% physical resistance for amplify damage, and -50% physical resistance for decrepify). It's generally not worth it though.

Quickdeath

Diabloii.Net Member
But %Damage reduction from the Barb's Battlecry will multiplicatively stack beyond 0.5, correct?

Like if you have %DR from equipment mods =50%, and Battle Cry lowers monster damage by 40%, total monster dmage =.5*(1-.4) =0.3.

Could someone please verify that this is true?

Orphan

Diabloii.Net Member
But %Damage reduction from the Barb's Battlecry will multiplicatively stack beyond 0.5, correct?

Like if you have %DR from equipment mods =50%, and Battle Cry lowers monster damage by 40%, total monster dmage =.5*(1-.4) =0.3.

Yes, that's correct.

SSoG

Diabloii.Net Member

Yup. Realistically speaking, there are 4 different ways to reduce physical damage.

EDR%- Enemy Damage Reduction (from the skills Taunt, Battle Cry, Weaken, Decrepify).
ESDR%- From the skill Energy Shield
PDR- Straight damage reduction, from items with the "damage reduced by x" mod.
%DR- Percentage damage reduction, from items with the "damage reduced by x%" mod, as well as from the Fade skill (1% per slvl, counting +skills).

EDR% is capped at 90% (only reachable with slvl 46 Taunt). ESDR% is capped at 95% (slvl 40 Energy Shield). PDR is uncapped. %DR is capped at 50%.

All Damage Reduction happens in that order- EDR%, then ESDR%, then PDR, then DR%. All different types of damage reduction stack with each other (i.e. 50% EDR from Decrep + 50% DR% from gear is better than the 50% of either alone). Realistically speaking, the most potent reduction combos are EDR% (or ESDR%) + PDR (which with a little effort can completely negate incoming damage).

Also, if you've never heard the term "EDR%" or "ESDR%", that's because I made them up... so don't run around talking about how you need to get some more EDR% or people are going to think you're as crazy as I am. :laugh:

Oh, one last note- all of the sources of EDR% are considered curses, and cannot be stacked. So no, you can't cast Decrep and Battle Cry to get crazy values of EDR%- you can cast Decrep and Battle Cry, but they'll overwrite each other. Sorry.

helvete

Diabloii.Net Member
So... how much PDR and MDR can you stack on a char? Seems to me that if you just find the right setup, you can get quite a lot. (perf gladiators + perf gerkes, xx amu of life everlasting, and so on)

SSoG

Diabloii.Net Member
So... how much PDR and MDR can you stack on a char? Seems to me that if you just find the right setup, you can get quite a lot. (perf gladiators + perf gerkes, xx amu of life everlasting, and so on)
Head- Perfect Jeweler's (or Artisan's) Circlet of Life Everlasting (SolSolSol)- 46 PDR
Body- Perfect Jeweler's Armor of Amicae (SolSolSolSol)- 43 PDR
Shield- Perfect Jeweler's Monarch of Amicae (SolSolSolSol)- 43 PDR
Weapon- Perfect Astreon's Iron Ward- 7 PDR
Belt- Perfect Safety Craft- 4 PDR
Gloves- Perfect Safety Craft- 4 PDR
Boots- Perfect Safety Craft- 4 PDR
Amulet- Perfect Amulet of Life Everlasting- 25 PDR
Rings- 2x Perfect Nature's Peace- 22 PDR
Total: 198 PDR

Remembering that -50% enemy damage effectively doubles PDR, 198 PDR is enough to negate up to 396 physical damage from a monster under the effects of Decrepify (Lawbringer Barb, anyone?)

Realistically speaking, you could ditch the weapon, gloves, boots, belt, and rings, and just go with the Armor/Shield/Tiara/Amulet combo, and you could still have up to a whopping 157 PDR (for 4 gear slots).

As far as MDR is concerned... it's mostly useless. Resistances are so much better than MDR and so much easier to load up on that there's really not a single character in the game that I would recommend focus on MDR.

SSoG

Diabloii.Net Member
Not even an ES Sorc?
I don't recommend FOCUSING on MDR for ES Sorks, mostly because they get more than enough MDR anyway from the PDR gear I always give them (Iron Pelt, Glad's Bane, or Gerke's Sanctuary). I suppose if you opted for a "Life Everlasting" ammy/hat instead of one of those three pieces, it'd be a good idea to get you some extra MDR, but that thought just never occurs to me because a good Glad's, Gerke's, or both is all you'd ever need.