Damage Reduced Necromancer?

Milb

Diabloii.Net Member
Damage Reduced Necromancer?

Hey,

Currently playing a Bonemancer and I was thinking about a few gear choices. I was wondering if you could make a Necro similar to the Druid DnT made just in reverse.

Bone Armor negates all physical damage (as far as I know) so I was wondering if it would be possible to negate the vast majority of magic damage with MDR gear.

With max resists, which would be quite easy to get with charms, how much straight MDR would you need to cancel out the heavier attacks, like Gloam's lightning etc?

It would be easy to get in excess of 75 MDR, SoE 15, 2x Dwarf Stars 30, Gladiators Bane 20, Gerke's Sanctuary 18.

I don't fancy testing this out myself as it might be a bad idea and I'll have got myself deeds but does anybody have any experience trying a build like this?

Cheers,
Milb

Cattleya

Diabloii.Net Member
MDR counts before resists, so it won't be possible to completely negate attacks. I'm going based on memory here, but I think that the Gloam's lightning attack does 200-300 damage in Hell, to give you a starting point to work with.

Milb

Diabloii.Net Member
Damn, there's that idea scuppered! Doesn't seem like much point using that sort of gear over +skill and res etc for that small a benefit....

Ah well, back to the drawing board :smiley:

Indemaijinj

Diabloii.Net Member
What makes PDR so powerful is that it can be acquired in very large quantities.

The same cannot be said for MDR.

Milb

Diabloii.Net Member
What makes PDR so powerful is that it can be acquired in very large quantities.

The same cannot be said for MDR.
Yeah, I know. I thought that resists counted first so the MDR wouldn't have to be in massive quantities to negate the damage. I thought the calculations would be something like:

Gloam Lightning Damage = 300, 75% resist = 75 Damage, 75 MDR = 0 Damage
But it's more like (300 - 75) x 0.25 = 56.25

Mesuno

Diabloii.Net Member
Yeah, I know. I thought that resists counted first so the MDR wouldn't have to be in massive quantities to negate the damage. I thought the calculations would be something like:

Gloam Lightning Damage = 300, 75% resist = 75 Damage, 75 MDR = 0 Damage
But it's more like (300 - 75) x 0.25 = 56.25
Stacked elemantal absorb would be better perhaps... it acts after res i think and can end up healing you.

Randall

Diabloii.Net Member
For elemental damages the trick is to combine MDR with elemental absorb gear

An easy combination that work against Gloams is thundergods + dwarf star. Gloams are just about harmless

against Lightning:
That is 85% LR, +20 LR absorb and 12-15 MDR.

as bonus it helps against Fire as well:
75% FR, 15% FR absorb and 12-15 MDR

Milb

Diabloii.Net Member
Yeah, I normally use Tgods, Ravenfrost and a Vipermagi on my characters which gives me Light Absorb, Cold Absorb and MDR.

I was thinking about something different as I don't think I have a spare Tgods and I think a Ravenfrost would be a wasted space on a caster.

I might swap out my SoJ for a Wisp (which I'm pretty sure I have) and see how that works in Gloam infested areas.

Mesuno

Diabloii.Net Member
Yeah, I normally use Tgods, Ravenfrost and a Vipermagi on my characters which gives me Light Absorb, Cold Absorb and MDR.

I was thinking about something different as I don't think I have a spare Tgods and I think a Ravenfrost would be a wasted space on a caster.

I might swap out my SoJ for a Wisp (which I'm pretty sure I have) and see how that works in Gloam infested areas.
Also I remember reading somewhere that things like the evil vipers bone spears do over 20 physical damage per FRAME each. Unless you pimp out bone shield and keep spamming it it isn't going to be able to take that kind of abuse. 4 socket armour with sols on the other hand will reduce that lot to zero.