Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Damage reduced by x

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by ThaCheeZe, Oct 23, 2006.

1. ThaCheeZe

ThaCheeZe IncGamers Member

Damage reduced by x

Are those "damage reduced by x" items really useful? Mostly the x is quite low and in hell damages are quite big, so I don't see the big use of them.

Or is some damage dealt in a lot of small fragments, all getting reduced by x? Then I could see their usefluness

2. Sleepless

Sleepless IncGamers Member

The rule of thumb with those items is don't bother at all or go all the way. You can reduce domage by a lot if you stack them, especially with Energy Shield but a single item won't do much.

You should consult this website :p

3. Milb

Milb IncGamers Member

Check out Disconeck Ted's damage reduced druid as well, he used Cyclone Armor to negate elemental damage and loaded up on Damage Reduced by x gear, making most attacks do no damage to him.

A few points of magic damage reduced by x are useful in some situations. Spells like the Flayer Shaman's Inferno and Diablo's Lightning Hose do damage per frame, so every 1 point of MDR cuts the total damage by quite a significant amount.

4. Brak

Brak IncGamers Member

As said they're generally an all or none route for gear. Though nothing to sneeze at if it happens to be on your items. An exception that I know of is the bugged poison spears of the vipers on the way to Nihlathak..Nahlitahik..whatever his name is, in Hell. The bug adds their melee dmg onto the poison trail AND its physical, but dealt on a single frame basis. But by wearing ~30 (I think) damage reduction it totally negates the bugged damage since it is dealt by frame. So if you are venturing here its a good idea to have some DR gear.

Another nice build centered around damage reductin is the Taunt barb. With very high levels of Taunt (35 minimum shoot for over 40) you get a very large drop in physical dmg from attacks. By wearing DR gear you basically negate the remainder that makes it in, allowing your character to be basically impervious to physical damage.

5. Hp_Sauce

Hp_Sauce IncGamers Member

It's 50 pdr that totaly negates it. anywhere between 25-40 is plenty though, depending on how often you run through the clouds.

I have a zon with 50 PDR and 10% PDR, since it's combined with a nice level D/A/E and max blocking she very very rarely takes enough damage for it to show up on the life orb.

-hps

6. Brak

Brak IncGamers Member

Hmmm...speaking of zons with high PDR that take very little damage....:scratch: ....
    *runs off to find Sol runes for his no Vit zon

7. ThaCheeZe

ThaCheeZe IncGamers Member

Ok, thanks for the insights. It won't be very useful for me then.

8. Fluffballer

Fluffballer IncGamers Member

I completely disagree that it's all or nothing. Even just the suffix "Life Everlasting" on your amulet is the equivalent of about 25% damage reduction on Frenzytaurs, one of the toughest baddies in the game. Couple that with Gladiator's Bane, one of my favorite melee armors, and you're talking about 40, 45% PDR.

Keep in mind almost all damage in the game is physical.

I tend to look for Life Everlasting amulets for my Barbs because they don't really benefit from anything else. The best possible magical amulet for a barb is +3 Warcries, damage reduced by 25.

Edit: When considering how useful a small number of damage reduction is, I find it useful to turn it into a percentage. Look at some of the average numbers for monster physical damage... Frenzytaurs are roughly 100 and they're some of the worst, so that's easy math. The measly "damaged reduced by 7" on your rare breast plate is comparable to a Chains of Honor.

9. Cormallon

Cormallon IncGamers Member

Yes, two pieces of armour (circlet and ammy) can give you +4 skills (or +6 skill tree) and 50 points damage reduction, that is a lot. With just these two, you'll be immune to quite some monsters already, and others will have much less impact. That frees other equipment slots, and in hell is much more effective than just good armours (not to get hit will require really high defense, not available to most chars).

The thing that bothers me is elemental damage. I admit, I never checked the dmg per frame you'll get from the various elemental attacks, and how much magic dmg reduction is required for a similar effect. Cyclone armour covers that aspect, but it is druid only, and the armour is consumed during the process. From my windy, I can tell that there are situations where the cyclone armour vanishes really fast. These attacks may in fact have relatively small damage, just a lot of frames. Or they may deliver their dmg all at once in one frame. Dunno.

magical dmg reduced by x has much lower numbers, up to 6 points per ammy / circlet / whatever.

10. Randall

Randall IncGamers Member

@Fluffballer:

Allthough you are correct, that only counts for "plain" Frenzytaurs.

That's not counting might, fana, double strike or any other damage enhancements of these monsters.
    Exactly then when it's needed (a fanatic pack of ...), it's "percentage" is reduced (as monster do more damage each single hit).

Randall

11. FlimFlan

FlimFlan IncGamers Member

That's why for a Barb you couple it with Battle Cry to get percent reduction and reduced by X. I love that skill.

12. Bandit

Bandit IncGamers Member

so here's a question for you guys....say you have PDR x% and PDR x together? which of the two gets factored in first? if 100 damage is coming at you and you have 25% PDR and 10 PDR....

100 *.75 = 75 - 10 = 65
    100 - 10 = 90 * .75 = 67.5

13. Delreich

Delreich IncGamers Member

14. pharaoh

pharaoh IncGamers Member

Point-based PDR gets factored in first. Likewise, MDR gets factored in before resistances. The order, if I recall, is Energy Shield, then Bone/Cyclone Armor, then PDR/MDR, then %PDR/resists (remember, %PDR is actually physical resist), and then absorb (both percentile and point-based). This order is why it's possible to create an Energy Shield sorcy who can reduce damage to zero in many cases.