Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Damage expectations

Discussion in 'Necromancer' started by Beneathnoise, Apr 28, 2005.

1. Beneathnoise

Beneathnoise IncGamers Member

Damage expectations

I'm still a relatively low level necro (mid 30's)

I'm currently trying basically a poison/summoner

However, i REALLY like bone spear...

I've heard that nova can get up to 11k average (or so) but what i haven't seen is what bonemancers can get up to.

The idea came when i was in Chaos Normal (diff char) i had a decent bone spear (due to some items to pois/bone) and nova, and skeles to tank

it seemed to me that i tore through people, nova for swarms, spear for ranged/individuals..

How can i continue this concept into Nightmare and Hell?

I mean, how WOULD a nova/spear/summon necro work?

I'm still new, so i'm leaving it here.

And i HAVE read the guides, and the closest i see is a pnb, but that particular guide is more pvp focused, and i'm aiming more for pvm/MF.

ANY help would be appreciated.

Edit: I DO have marrowalks already waiting for whatever necro i get to clvl 66, so i CAN take advantage of that synergy for bone damage.

2. FreezerBurn

FreezerBurn Banned

I would go with bone spirit over spear. I have a summon/bone hybrid wearing full trang and marrowwalks. Haven't played him in a while, but if I remember right his damage is around 6 or 7 K with spirit. Only problem is it eats through mana like crazy. Probably could have solved that with a couple sojs and a nice rare amulet with mana. But I didn't play him enough for it to be worth the investment.

That said, if you've already put points in poison skills, I would stick with that. Or else you'll spread your points too thin and none of your attacks will be effective in hell. If you want to use bone skills, you could start over. Once you know how to level a character, you can easily get to lvl 30 in an hour or two.

3. xeyloderixed

xeyloderixed IncGamers Member

let's see, where to start

as a nec player by heart, i can tell you some of my experiences (and how they will hopefully relate to yours). also, keep in mind that this is from a totally legit perspective budget-wise (ie no trading for runes, etc)

(1) damage-wise a decent bspear damage is 3.5k. i think someone did the calcs and it can go up to 6k+. for nova i havent seen the figures yet, but a good aim is around 8k.
    (2) bone and psn have totally different gear ideals. spear wants lots of fcr. 75 is almost a minimum for me; 50 works for a lot of people. nova does not need any fcr at all.
    (3) from experience, everything falls apart in hell. if you see 300 on your damage screen you can totally own norm (1k for nm)-this is for ANY build, ANY character class. however, hell is a different story. lets just say my untwinked-still no-deaths web lvl 95 psner was fine for nm, but in hell its really tough going. i mean, i can solo through any area in the game, but it takes too slow. id imagine, damage-wise and overall pvming, if you do decide on the 3way split, you'd end up like me; low damage on all counts even with godly gear (and i wouldnt know what to gear him with too, it seems complicated with the 3way split).

4. Mad Mantis

Mad Mantis D2/3 Necromancer & Witch Doctor Moderator

Not very well. There are just too many synergies for the skill points. You can go a long way if you exploit Venom to gain a decent PDagger and if you use Marrowwalk with some synergies.

5. UltraNull

UltraNull IncGamers Member

I'd say,

EITHER go full bone. Max Teath,Spear,Spirit,Wall,Prison.
    You'll needs lots of mana, fcr and manarec.
    Your boneprison will rock and even your Teath (about 600 damage per teath, 24 teath at level 30) will remain resonably usable against big groups or weak spead out monsters.
    Your Bonearmor will be good aswel, but don't pump it, the synergies add more then the skill itself. Save those points for curses.
    You will need some creative solution for the (rare) magic immunes.

OR go for poison and summon. 60 points to max out poison, 40 to max out skellies.
    (Do get some summon resist and lower resist aswell, but that is obvious)

Any other combination will not be optimal because you will need a lot more then the 110 points that you can get.

You can ofcause exploit the marowwalk bug and save yourself 20 points when going bone.
    However, you will only be able to use Prison for an unreasonable cost. That removes the advantage of the bonebuild, imho.
    Use it if you like exploits and only want the Bonearmor sysnergy, not as a pure bonebuild helper.

6. Mad Mantis

Maybe not optimal, but certainly a build that will do well. For some being able to do well and have fun is more important than having the optimal distribution.

7. Pherdnut

Pherdnut IncGamers Member

Poison Nova really isn't that strong without the ideal gear. (triple trang's and Death's Web). I think you should take a crack at playing a full blown bonemancer. If you really want to hybrid with poison, I'd reccomend poison/summon first, but there is a guide on a poison/bone hybrid. You just need to think of the bone as the alternate for immunes rather than primary source of damage.

8. Beneathnoise

Beneathnoise IncGamers Member

I got my poison/summoner to 64. maxed skeleton/mastery with 1 in other stuff, and like 15 in nova

(i don't remember exact numbers)

It SEEMS my skeletons are slowly becoming less efficient..is this about as good as they get? (with items i have about 25/25 slvl each)

Taking longer to kill, etc. is this normal? i hear people talking about how their skeles were fine, and tanked everything under the sun. I got a rush to Hell Baal, and toward the end, skeles were getting trashed, and took forever to kill anything.

(if they could before i died)

AS per the poison/bone thing, i realized, i don't USE nova

maybe it's cause i'm not hotkeying properly? ANyway, if i used bonespear/spirit, i would have it set to rightclick, and ampdamage/corpse exp hotkeyed for rightclick and then i could spam the hell out of mobs and still amp/corpse

How does this sound, in general? I think i'm more looking at my personal playing style, which according to experts everwhere, is what you should do. heh.

9. Mad Mantis

Your level is way too low for Hell and rather low for NM Baal. Your Skellies will have AR problems and since Might isn't as high as it should be their damage will be low. In order to really shine you'll need a few more +skills. You can get by with this amount, but it is harder.

10. Pherdnut

Pherdnut IncGamers Member

You might want to NM Baal to at least 70. At lvl ** my Poison/Skellimancer skills are 15/16 RS/SM for the skeletons and I have about 6 synergies left to put into my Nova.

For gear I have Triple Trangs (armor, gloves, shield), A +1 all amu, a rare circlet with +2 PNB +15 all resist +30 more to cold, the crappiest possible Deaths Web, crappy boots, rings, and enough charms to max my resists.

On switchout for prebuffing my skeletons, I have Arm of King Leoric and a head with +2 Summon Resist.

My might merc is close to my level and is using a Bonehew with a -requirements gem and an amn rune, Vipermagi, and some random helmet.

My skellies take the occasional loss but overall they do just fine in 8-player Hell Baal runs and my poison attacks are strong enough to wipe out enemies with weak to medium hit points in one shot without Lower Resist. My biggest problem is avoiding getting my own damn fool self killed when I get overzealous and charge to the head of the pack to hit with those novas faster. When I finally get around to doing the hell forge rushes so I can afford Enigma, that problem should be solved.

My primary strategy is to hit them with Lower Resist, splat 'em with P-Nova, switch to Amp Damage, and start spamming corpse explode if they aren't all dead already. In areas with lots of poison immunes I've found that just playing the build like a standard skellimancer works just fine.