Latest Diablo 3 News
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Damage and open wounds

Discussion in 'Newcomer Forum' started by captc, Oct 19, 2006.

1. captc

captc Diabloii.Net Member

Damage and open wounds

So, i'm trying to work out how you calculate the best weapon.
    From the strategy compendium

Weapon Minimum Damage = Base Minimum Damage * (1+ (+x % Enhanced Damage)/100) + (+x to Minimum Damage)
    Weapon Maximum Damage = Base Maximum Damage * (1+ (+x % Enhanced Damage)/100) + (+x to Maximum Damage)
    +x % Enhanced Damage and +x to Minimum/Maximum Damage in this case is only what is shown on the weapon.

Ok -i can work that out - but what is the damage. It can't be damage per second as that depends on ias and the type of weapon etc. So, it is damage per frame or something else. In other words how do I get to a simple damage per second for a melee weapon

Next open wounds. from the comendium again "Open Wounds has a duration of 200 Frames (8 Seconds) and will reset the timer if reapplied. It's not actual damage but a Negative Life Regenration".
    A nice formula in the compendium tells me how to calculate damage per second but I don't understand the negative life regeneration bit. Is it actual damage or does it simply slow the life regeneration after a hit?

2. Kijya

Kijya Diabloii.Net Member

The damages you get from those formulas is damage per attack, just take the min and max damages and multiply them with the number of attacks per second (depends on what skill you use, zeal will obviously get you a better dmg/second then normal attack etc ...)

Open wounds creates a negative life regen baised on your char lvl. It's like the "life drain" you have on the malice rw but far more powerfull, and because it's negative "life regen" it cannot be resisted in any way, nothing is immune against it if I'm not misstaken.

3. thegiantturtle

thegiantturtle Diabloii.Net Member

It is damage per hit. If you want it to be damage per frame or damage per second, then you need to know how fast you will swing and your chance to hit each monster.

Open wounds modifies the monster regeneration property for each monster. Poison stops regeneration, and then does damage per frame. Open wounds does not stop regeneration, but is still doing damage per frame. Here's an example pulled out of nowhere:

Say a monster regenerates 25 life per frame and your open wounds does 40 negative regen per frame. While the open wounds is effective, the monster takes 15 damage per frame so long as their regeneration is going. You can think of open wounds like the drain life property.

Note: Monsters at full life do not have their regeneration working. You can tag a full life monster with open wounds, but they will have to be brought below full life for their regeneration to start and for them to start losing life through open wounds.

4. krischan

krischan Europe Trade Moderator

You mean if a monster is at full life, OW will stop working. Does it mean it gets cancelled altogether ?

For the others, this not an academical issue (only a slightly academical one, as it's not really significant :rolleyes: ), as OW can be triggered for physical immunes while not causing regular damage, some monsters can heal each other (Councils, some mages in Kurast), some monsters get healed when they hit or cast something on you (Councils again IIRC) and OKs can lifetap you, so any monster gets healed when it hits you.

5. thegiantturtle

thegiantturtle Diabloii.Net Member

The monster regen property only works when monsters are at less than full life, so a monster that is healed to full life would have their regen turned off (and hence the open wounds damage would stop occurring).

I'm not sure if that is possible to actually occur. It depends on the order that regen and other properties are checked and applied each frame. I haven't seen info on this, and I don't debug Diablo myself, so I can't answer the question.

In practice, it's pretty unlikely to matter.