Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Daemon Tools and Diablo for performance boost?

Discussion in 'Hardcore' started by Mn_Swe2, Mar 31, 2004.

1. Mn_Swe2

Mn_Swe2 IncGamers Member

Daemon Tools and Diablo for performance boost?

Hi!
    What do you guys think of using a program like DaemonTools together with Diablo2?

The obvious reason for a program like DTools is that it makes it possible to play a game without having the cd.

It works like this if I understand it correctly:

First you make a copy of the D2LoD expansion CD. The outcome of this is an .iso file that you store on your computer. This can not IIRC be done with DTools, instead you must use another program.

Then you use DTools and "mount" the image of your .iso -file, so that the computer thinks that the CD actually is in the cd-drive. (If you look in windows explorer, the disk D: will look like the Diablo cd is inserted for ex.)

Why would you do this you might ask?

Reason A) You buy a game, create a copy you publish and spread on the internet together with a "CreateQuake3LicenseKey.exe" program. This is just to be able to play a game without buying it. This is NOT what I'm interested in!

B) To speed up games you already have purchased you can use DTools to get rid of the cd-access by the game.
    Instead of reading info from the cd, the game reads that info from an emulated cd on your harddrive, which I assume will be a lot faster?

Question for you: When does D2 access the cd while playing? Will I notice any change in performance if I use DaemonTools to emulate the cd to read from the harddrive instead than from the cd?

Thx for your time /Magnus

2. RlNDl

RlNDl IncGamers Member

Well, I notice a lot of CD activity when I kill shenk, between acts when the movie loads.
    I moved all the .mpq's to the harddrive, that way its not as big a problem anymore. It still needs the cd and its a bit annoying since my DVD drive speeds up and is slow to go down again.

If you get this to work it would be nice to be able to play in silence.. :)

3. Baroni

Baroni IncGamers Member

I think the only reason D2 access the CD is to play music files. You can eliminate the need for it to do this by copying the D2XMusic.mpq from the cd to the D2 game folder.

4. lasthero

lasthero IncGamers Member

This is what I do to speed up game performance you will notice an increases as i did during specific load times. Such as when you kill baal or shenk, etc. So I suggest do it if you have the harddrive space otherwise just stick with the cd.

5. Mn_Swe2

Mn_Swe2 IncGamers Member

Yeah, the music and the mpq's I have already copied to the harddrive (long time ago, so I don't remember the exact files). This is for all the other times the game access the cd, and I have already gotten some good answers, thx :)

I think I will try this since I do have a lot of space left on my harddrive, if nothing else, just for curiosity :)

/Magnus

6. hc_ugajeremy

hc_ugajeremy IncGamers Member

Even with people copying the cds, the lack of cd keys will usually deter most people. It would take a really really good cdkey generator to come up with enough valid ones to bypass bnet.

I make backups of all my games. My LoD disk is no more, it literally blew up in a faulty cd-rom drive of mine. I'm using a utility to load the disk after copying all the files to the lod directory.

I've noticed good, increased performance in the areas others have noted already.

7. SonOfRah

SonOfRah IncGamers Member

I use d-tools exclusively for all of my games, and it runs fine.

Sometimes you need to set the emulation for copy protection to play image files. Its alot faster also as it runs the game from the harddrive rather than the cd.

Spin down/up of the cd will slow your comp down (ie a slight pause).

8. Mad Merlin

Mad Merlin IncGamers Member

I just copied all of the relevant files on the CD into the folder where D2 is installed, the only time the CD-ROM ever spins up is when I start the game (to do the copy protection check garbage).

9. Christopher Sin

Christopher Sin IncGamers Member

Don't you need a nocd crack to run a CD image off a virtuakl drive? Or is there a way to do it woithout using a crack?

10. lasthero

lasthero IncGamers Member

no you dont need a no cd crack, what daemon tools basically does is create a "fake cd drive" so the game will search through all cd drives for the diablo cd including the fake cd drive, thats how it works

11. NeoSolidSnake

NeoSolidSnake IncGamers Member

some reason i cant create an .iso file..

Im not sure how this goes but i tried using nero and burning a image of it on my HD, but i always get an error while loading with daemons..

its either my steps are wrong or im a comple n00b...

im leaning towards the 2nd reason..

12. SonOfRah

SonOfRah IncGamers Member

use clone cd, and load the protected game settings to make your image.

sometimes with emulation (or not) with d-tools it won't detect the cd. keep pressing cancel or continue and the game should still load. Stupid d2 :)

13. WingBlade

WingBlade IncGamers Member

I just dl'd D-Tools myself yesterday, I also dl'd ULTRAISO... created a ISO on the HDD of D2X. U just have 2 make sure u change the EMULATION on D-Tools to SECUROM.

Then u go to the tab for VIRTUAL CD/DVD ROM and mount the ISO for D2X.

Hope that helps.... no more worrying bout my D2X cb being in the drive and my daughter breaking it... like she did the last 1. :thumbsup:

14. VanMuhr

VanMuhr IncGamers Member

CloneCD and D-Tools working great

I have used a CloneCD image of LOD CD-ROM and D-Tools for some time now, and it works great. The main reason I'm using it is that it makes it possible to play the game without having to put the cd in the cd-drive every time I want to play. And to avoid the game hangs while the cd spins up.
    I actually almost died once before I used D-Tools, running around in Frigid Highlands, the CD-ROM felt like freezing the machine in about 5 sec just to put music on.

PS. I could not make LOD work with an iso file and D-Tools, but the CloneCD image did the trick :yep:

15. jsiv

jsiv IncGamers Member

What RINDI said.

Other than that I tried Daemon Tools in 1.09 but never made it work. Instead I got me a dirty no-cd crack and that worked well for me. The first few times I ran it I had to click cancel a dozen times when it wouldn't find the cd. So I'm thinking Rah may be right, and I just didn't click cancel enough when I used Daemon Tools. As I remember it, though, I think I clicked it several times without making it work.

16. NeoHydragen

NeoHydragen IncGamers Member

My question is, what program is used to make the .iso

17. Mn_Swe2

Mn_Swe2 IncGamers Member

Two examples mentioned here are CloneCD and ULTRAISO.

/Magnus

18. NeoSolidSnake

NeoSolidSnake IncGamers Member

ah thanks

my main question was how to make the .iso as well..

thanks again :D

19. WingBlade

WingBlade IncGamers Member

Neo - with ULTRAISO.... just start the prog - have your original D2x Exp CD in the drive... create an image of that CD on your hdd... make sure u have enuf room.

Once the image is created u can remove the CD. Silly thing - but it helps if u know where u burn that image to. DEFAULT is within the ULTRAISO folder.

After that - just follow the previous statements regarding D-Tools.

If u have ne other Q... PM me...

Wing

20. Kilmin

Kilmin Banned

Where do you get these at may I ask?

kil-