Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

D3's Overlay Map

Discussion in 'Diablo 3 General Discussion' started by Flux, Sep 18, 2010.

1. Flux

Flux Administrator

D3's Overlay Map

The overhead map, as seen in the top right corner of one of the gamescom screenshots.

Clearly it's a work in progress, with the NPCs not showing, nor the blacksmith's wagon, etc. But colorful!

The maps in the 2008 and 2009 demos were also top right corner and about this scale. I don't remember them being so colorful. There were no town areas in those, so can't say if the stash and waypoint had icons, like in this one, but they did a good job showing the layout of the level. And I think various key points, teleport spots, desert ruins, etc, had icons marking them.

What do you want in an overlay map? zoom in/out scale? Do you like the middle of the screen, transparent display option instead of the top corner version?

[​IMG]

2. Glass

Glass IncGamers Member

Re: D3's Overlay Map

I didn't like the map in the middle of the screen in Diablo 2, I didn't like it in Hellgate and I don't like it in Torchlight.

It gets in the way of what's happening, I'd prefer it be moved to the top corner, but not turned into a sphere in the top corner which makes it less useful than having it in the middle.

So I guess what I want in an overlay map is the ability to move it somewhere else on the screen.

3. permaximum

permaximum Banned

D1 and D2's middle screen map is perfect. Especially with fade out option. I couldn't get used to mini-maps on the right top corner.

4. Elfen Lied

Elfen Lied Banned

As long as it does its job without being in the way, I am fine with it ;)

5. IncubatorJones

IncubatorJones IncGamers Member

You can move the minimap in D2 with the arrow keys. So you can put it in the corner if you want to :rolleyes: Maybe there'll be settings so you can put it where and how you prefer it in D3

6. konfeta

konfeta IncGamers Member

This. A UI feature this simple shouldn't be too difficult to implement, yes?

7. lone_wolf

lone_wolf Diablo: IncGamers Member

i actually prefered to do what IncubatorJones said in diablo 2 much less clutter on screen that way.

8. Flux

Flux Administrator

I always used the top corner minimap in D2. Rather than the full overlay. Everyone knows you can switch it from top left to top right corner, right?

The alpha build of Path of Exile that I played last month had the main screen overlay style, and even though it was wireframe and very transparent, I was instantly like, "do not want." Hadn't seen that version in D2 for years, but it still reminded me of why I didn't like it.

9. permaximum

permaximum Banned

Yep. You can move it too since D1.

I like the middle map because the arrow is where you are and i really need it to move quick in the world without looking at the actual game screen.

10. themeros

themeros IncGamers Member

The centered faded map in D2 was great, but it made me feel like I was a bot because it was too easy. The top right corner minimap in D3 feels a little more realistic in terms of gameplay.

I would even suggest that you'd have to use the tab key to open a big map over the screen, memorize your route and go! That would be even more realistic, but would get annoying really fast. So I guess it's not a very good idea... xD

11. Malaterre

Malaterre IncGamers Member

I like the minimap in the upper corner and not in the middle of the screen. Especially now with wide screens, it is not really a problem as it is really on the side and we still have a large "empty" area in the middle of the screen. We could have a key to open a larger version if needed. Although, the minimap shown in the D3 seems much more easy to read than the D2 version.

In general I would like to have options for the interface : possibility to toggle interface elements with keys, possibility to have some elements that fade when they are not used (like the chat window...) and so on. I do like to have the least possible amount of thing on my screen. I think the D3 interface is ok as it is but I would like to get rid of the quest reminder on the right when I do not need it and of the chat window when nobody's speaking.

12. Apocalypse

Apocalypse IncGamers Member

here is where i 100% agree with perm again. i always used the map on screen with everything faded. it never got in my way but was there when i wanted it. the way torchlight did it was horrible though so i put that map in the top right hand corner. i have played enough games where you had to use the top right hand corner for the map so i am used to it both ways but the full screen one in D2 was my favorite

13. Sass

Sass IncGamers Member

I had it centered. All I had to do was swap eye focus rather than move my eye to another part of the map. I like the convenience granted by that way.

14. Risingred

Risingred IncGamers Member

It took some time, but I switched to the corner-style as well.
    As for the D3 minimap, it appears that they list some of the more prominent terrain features which I like a lot. I don't care much for running around to get up/down a cliff or some other landmark.

The original minimap looked cooler though, I think (the one from WWI '08).

15. GoldenBird

GoldenBird IncGamers Member

I did that too and personally loved it; I didn't even have to use the fade option. Would really like a similar map system; it's annoying to have to switch focus if the map is in the top right.

16. konfeta

konfeta IncGamers Member

The center map option was really convenient, but I hated the part where after a while I automatically paid more attention to the minimap then the game environment itself.

17. Risingred

Risingred IncGamers Member

After losing an HC char to that, I switched, too. It was a bad habit I got into easily.

18. Apocalypse

Apocalypse IncGamers Member

this pretty much explains it all. i hope it returns in the same way

19. Leugi

Leugi IncGamers Member

I actually didn't like putting it in the center, but that's just because I like seeing my char and all without extra things. It should be an option it seems, many of you guys seem to agree on something finally! So it should be centered too, yes...

20. Zarniwoop

Zarniwoop IncGamers Member

This is a case where less is more. They need to make that less.