Latest Diablo 3 News
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

D3 resistence

Discussion in 'Diablo 3 General Discussion' started by DrZoidberg, Oct 24, 2010.

1. DrZoidberg

DrZoidberg Diabloii.Net Member

D3 resistence

Hey guys, have they said much about resistence in diablo iii yet on monsters or character themselves? D2 resisted monsters made tons of charcter builds not worth doing becuase at some point you would be screwed in hell focusing only on fire ice lightning. And on charcters dueling this was also dumb becuase you would make a fire sorc and someone would leave the game bring a character with max fire res and absorb and make your char worthless. This to me made the only option physical damage or skipping monsters which i don't want to do!

2. raveharu

raveharu Diabloii.Net Member

Re: D3 resistence

Resistance will work like defense, and no there won't be immunes in the higher difficulties, which means you can still damage them.

3. Risingred

Risingred Diabloii.Net Member

They switched it so it's a rating like defense in D2 which scales with monster level, and there will be no immunities but very high resistances.

4. konfeta

konfeta Diabloii.Net Member

Well, there are two tidbits of information on resists as far as we know:

1. There is a Barbarian skill called "Wrath of the Berserker" that allows him to treat damage immunities as resists. This means that some immunities are in some way in this game. Whenever it is flat out Diablo 2 style immunities or buffs/shielding abilities, we don't know.

2. In one of the panels or Q&A's, resistances have been redesigned to scale. As in, you no longer can just get 75% resistance and chill there, you now need to scale resists just like you would want to scale armor to keep up with enemy damage. Not sure what are the exact mechanics of that.

niiinjad :(

5. cacophony

cacophony Diabloii.Net Member

But defense in D2 was kind of a weird binary rating; you either hit the monster or not. So now will resistances be that way as well? Will it cause a lot of spell "misses" or will it reduce damage by some percent based on a formula of character level, monster level, and resistance rating? And is defense still the binary model, or is it basically physical resistance?

6. Risingred

Konfeta, I took "Wrath of the Berserker" to be a pvp skill myself, but maybe I'm wrong.

7. konfeta

A skill that makes you very powerful for a short amount of time? Well, you might consider it a PvP skill, but strikes me as supremely useful in killing bosses or gimmick monsters with directional damage immunities (ala skeletons with shields and whatnot)

8. Risingred

I meant in terms of breaking immunities. I saw it as a counter to a skill like the monk's that makes him immune to damage. I may be way off on that.

9. cbr

cbr Diabloii.Net Member

From the fact that Jay said res acts like defence, I'm going to guess that spells might miss, it would make not sense for him to say they act like defence if they act like damage reduce, which was physical resistance.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2010
  10. ShadoutMapes

ShadoutMapes Diabloii.Net Member

Resistance will probably just translate to a percentage against any given enemy, and not be binary like defense.

For example (simple and unrealistic example):
    Your resistance / Enemy lvl
    50 resistance / lvl 5 enemy = 10 = 10% resisted.

Obviously it would be more complex than that, as 1) it wouldn't be based solely on enemy lvl and 2) some sort of diminishing return would exist, so 500 resistance in the above example wouldn't make you immune :D).

I wonder if we will get 'physical resistance' (normally called armor in most games) in Diablo 3 though? I know we had it as a special 'rare' stat in Diablo 2, but it seems logical to bring it in as a normal resistance type.

11. cacophony

cacophony Diabloii.Net Member

It wasn't really clear; hopefully demo players can help us confirm a few things.

- did you ever see any skills that mentioned dodge chance?
    - did you ever see any gear affixes that mentioned dodge chance?
    - were there any tooltips that clarify defense or armor (specifically on a trait like Iron Skin)?
    - related; are shields still "chance to block X damage" instead of the binary block or not of D2? Or are they the new WoW mechanic (patch 4.0+) where they block a set percent, and traits/skills can raise that percent?

I think resistances will kind of flow from that information. Resistance in WoW is also a rating, but I vaguely remember it being ternary. You either hit for 100% damage, 50% damage, or missed. Dunno if that changed, but that's how that ratings system worked.

12. Sass

Sass Diabloii.Net Member

IDK about gear, but I know Dex had to do with dodge %.

13. DrZoidberg

DrZoidberg Diabloii.Net Member

So do you guys think that magic attacks such as fire, ice, lighting and holy assuming it's based the same will be worth putting skill points into or will physical damage still be overpowered(in my opinion).

14. lone_wolf

lone_wolf Diablo: IncGamers Member

there will be immunities or the skill would not be worded like this:

Wrath of the Berserker
    Enter a heightened sense of fury, raising several stats (Critical Hit, Attack Speed, Dodge Chance, Movement Speed) for X seconds. Monsters with damage immunities will take X% less damage from the Barbarian's attacks rather than being immune.

15. konfeta

They are clearly trying to balance physical and spell damage this time around. Now that spell damage scales with +%damage mods and +Willpower attribute, it shouldn't end up being the case of "Sorc that maxed out Frozen Orb rules the first 20 levels, but then Barb finds uber axe and laughs at the Sorc who only has miserable +skills and maybe Infinity to boost her damage).

16. Sass

Sass Diabloii.Net Member

Instead of the wide-spread immunities like D2, it'll have the few ones like stone skin ones.

This time, D3 has some shield skeles who take no damage. This might over come that.

Then there's whatever immune kept popping up in the pvp vid.

17. lone_wolf

lone_wolf Diablo: IncGamers Member

i hope you are right sass it was very frustrating to play sorc in diablo 2 due to immunities and how every single monster had at least 1 in hell.

18. Apocalypse

Apocalypse Diabloii.Net Member

during Q and A they mentioned there will be no immunities. they said they wanted players to always be able to damage mobs even in a limited form

19. konfeta

Yeah, but Wrath of the Berserker states otherwise. I think immunities will be related to abilities rather than innate stats.

20. Apocalypse

Apocalypse Diabloii.Net Member

could the skill info be outdated? maybe he misspoke?