D3 Public Q&A at Blizzcon

Flux

Administrator
D3 Public Q&A at Blizzcon

I have still not found time to watch/read it, but this post on the b.net forums made me laugh. Or it would have if I didn't have a sore throat that makes laughing impossible. I kind of wheeze, and it hurts. So I just make a happy face, like a robot with bad AI. But that's neither here nor there.

http://blues.incgamers.com/Posts/1/1/4/10/15058/outraged
Holy %#@*, where do I begin?

The Q&A at Blizzcon was absolutely ridiculous. There were maybe 3 or 4 at the very most DECENT questions asked. It was glaringly obvious that 80% of those neckbeards asking the questions were WoW nerds (anyone who plays WoW post BC is a retard anyway, but that's a different story) hoping that Diablo 3 will be basically a WoW carbon copy set in a different universe.

From what I've seen, these days WoW PVE is just a huge popularity contest, and so most people are turning to PVP. That again is a completely different story. I (like most of you) have been waiting for a DECADE for Diablo 3, and with all of the setbacks and bull%#@* and everything else we've had to deal with surrounding this game, this Q&A filled with these WoW fanboys asking ludicrous questions is a !!%%ing disgrace.

To go along with that, a release date wasn't very expected (although we had high hopes), but we weren't even given a BETA start date. Now, along with the %#@*-show that was the Q&A, the lack of any date AT ALL being given, the "big surprise" is that there are 1000 beta keys?! As if it weren't bad enough. So all of us that have been waiting for, again, a DECADE, aren't even given a chance at beta keys?

Yeah yeah, i'm sure there were a decent amount of Diablo fanboys at Blizzcon, but with 1000 beta keys how many of those do you think are going to go to WoW nerds, seeing as they don't need a beta key for Cataclysm because that's right around the corner? So !!%%ing ridiculous.

Not to mention they had to go and ruin Diablo 2 even more with the new patch, AND the fact that they have managed to put out WoW and THREE god damn expansions before there has even been a mention of a release date for D3.

So. !!%%ing. Ridiculous.
I put in some paragraphs since JFC WoT, and it got funnier with Bashiok's reply:

This is... disappointing. Temper tantrums aren't welcome here.

I think he felt contractually obligated to say that. He'd have just deleted it if he hadn't been amused and somewhat in agreement.

Leaving aside the insults (though I have yet not to laugh when I hear the adjective "neckbeard" deployed pejoratively) and the D2 patch *****ing... was the D3 Q&A that bad?

I warned everyone, repeatedly, that it would be; in past years such events are choked by noob questions that are a waste of everyone's time. The D3 devs are so seldom available for questions, especially from regular fans, that it's a shame to ask them stuff anyone could find out about from the game FAQ, or spending five minutes in a good D3 forum.

That's fairly unavoidable at public events in advance of the game's release, especially when many/most of the fans are WoW players who are following D3 casually, if at all. But if Bliz really wanted to elevate the quality of their Q&A, it wouldn't be hard. Get a few knowledgable people, CMs or even fans, to screen questions and just skip all the "Will Nerkomantor b bak?" queries.

Or would that spoil the unrestrained public fan interaction that's the whole point behind such events?

After all, if people who don't know the most basic info about the game don't know it before they ask their question, they're probably not going to go seek out the info afterwards, if their question is rejected. And you know the audience is full of people who didn't know the answer either. Blizzard can't just target their info to the tiny % of us who follow the game religiously and know everything that's been made public... can they?

NotaBot

Diabloii.Net Member
Re: D3 Public Q&A at Blizzcon

i Utoob'd all the D3 blizzcon vids and the QnA was comic relief, admittedly people are rarely good on camera without practice, stage fright and all that.... but there didnt appear to be any moderation at all , that stoner/aspie blonde guy rambled for ages about getting dev support for competitive PvP which was stated as a no deal a few questions before, people kept asking the same stuff reworded. it was funny and wasteful simultaneously.

Autti

Diabloii.Net Member

It was pretty poor, some the questions were just facepalm worthy.

But at the end of the day, Bashiok is quite helpful although cryptic, and we still got a massive amount of info out of Blizzcon, most of which wasn't through the Q&A.

I fear the amount of WoW players in D3.

The highlight was that the panel guys were funny.

Jay: "I really like griefing, thats a little secret. And i griefed me plenty of people in Diablo in my time and i apologise. Not really."

Glass

Diabloii.Net Member

I didn't think it was all that bad.

The only question I cringed at was the guy that had "played 100,000 hours of WoW Arena" and wanted D3 to be a competitive eSport, because his question was so long and awkward.

The only other 'bad' question I can think of was the WASD-key guy, but thanks to him they told us about the shift-key (unless that was already known?)

Andy2702

Diabloii.Net Member

I fear the amount of WoW players in D3.
It's like the big kids in the playground that unknowingly take over your sandbox and carelessly tread over your sand castle that you've spent blood, sweat, and tears building just to play their own games in it.

chaosrulz

Diabloii.Net Member

I didn't think it was all that bad.

The only question I cringed at was the guy that had "played 100,000 hours of WoW Arena" and wanted D3 to be a competitive eSport, because his question was so long and awkward.

The only other 'bad' question I can think of was the WASD-key guy, but thanks to him they told us about the shift-key (unless that was already known?)
Shift + left click is well known and works in d2 as well. If you were being sarcastic, I totally missed it :)

Glass

Diabloii.Net Member

Shift + left click is well known and works in d2 as well. If you were being sarcastic, I totally missed it :)
No I wasn't. They said if you hold shift your character won't move to get in range to attack.

Does that work in Diablo 2? If so I never knew that, or used it :ashamed: :hammerhead: Oops :p

chaosrulz

Diabloii.Net Member

No I wasn't. They said if you hold shift your character won't move to get in range to attack.

Does that work in Diablo 2? If so I never knew that, or used it :ashamed: :hammerhead: Oops :p
Shift basically holds your character in place. Its most commonly used by doing shift + left click to perform the skill assigned to the left click while standing in place. And yes, it works in d2 .. you should try it :)

Nojin

Diabloii.Net Member

Biggest thing I heard from the Q&A:

In Hardcore, when you enter a PVP Arena, you die for good.

So if that's right, then more than half of everyone entering a HC PVP arena for the first time is not coming out at all.

There had better be some good achievements/rewards for winning even one HC PVP match!

Also...

I face-palmed when the guy essentially said the double-xbow Demon Hunter was crap (followed by everyone booing him for such a stupid remark).

The D3 Q&A was almost as bad as watching people fall/break their leg in the dance contest.

Tyrone

Diabloii.Net Member

Leaving aside the insults (though I have yet not to laugh when I hear the adjective "neckbeard" deployed pejoratively) and the D2 patch *****ing... was the D3 Q&A that bad?
The funny thing is that there literally were some neckbeards in that Q&A panel and many of the questions that came from said neckbeards were some of the best, though mostly because they were just so amusing (but not particularly informative).

My favorite part was the guy who made this big PvP speech and called upon support from the audience (which came off as really corny) to push Blizzard to turn D3 into an e-sport and balance the game for PvP. Everyone just booed him and Jay Wilson said something along the lines, "Well, I think you have your answer."

Yeah, that was the guy. Oh, that was awful -- yet great at the same time.

But yeah...I dunno not a lot of questions worth asking there. I mean, I just didn't learn that much, but maybe that's because there isn't really that much new to learn at this point?

Moonfrost

Diabloii.Net Member

Yup, I'm thinking that was quite possibly the longest Q&A question ever. It put all the shorter, lesser questions to shame with its long-windedness and general inability to get to the point (which, summed up, read "I want D3 competetive arenas in D3, just like in WoW"). When he asked for the crowd's support I think half the people booed at him for taking so long and half because they disagreed with his statement.

However, to his defense I can understand his point of view, WoW arena had its charm and while I never participated in competetive play (as in, tournaments and the like), I did enjoy my team's weekly 2v2 and 3v3 sessions. I won't lie: the first thing that popped up in my mind when I saw the D3 battle arenas was "wow, this is just like, well, WoW", which is actually not a bad thing at all. Even the map itself, with the different platforms going up and down, is very reminiscent of WoW's Ring of Valor arena.

Yeah, I think that's been around since Diablo 1 and part of most ARPGs ever since so in terms of shocking new info, it's about on the same level as revealing that D3 has monsters you can fight for loot.

It's a good example of the thing Flux mentioned, but I guess Blizzard can only filter out the truly bad questions so they had no choice. The Q&A wouldn't have been much fun if everyone asked those really concentrated questions that the developers wouldn't be able to answer anyway.

Apocalypse

Diabloii.Net Member

i actually thought we got a few good answers from Q and A this year my only real complaint with it was the amount of pvp questions being asked after they said pve was the focus of the game

sirroman

Diabloii.Net Member

Are we gonna get some transcription of it? At least from the highlights?

Wolfpaq777

It's mostly useful when you assign important spells to the left mouse button, especially spells that don't require you to be left clicking an enemy for them to hit (e.g. blessed hammer, lightning, multishot, tornado), but do require you to be correctly positioned for good aiming.

I never use it on my barb, zealot or javazon.

cacophony

Diabloii.Net Member

Compared to previous years, it was actually pretty good. Of course, that's like winning the most beautiful pig award at the county fair...

Apocalypse

Diabloii.Net Member

People keep comparing what it is to what it could have been, and doing that makes the Q&A look bad. it you take it for what we got, 5 or 6 new bits of info, suddenly it looks much better. Sure if you took the top 20 posters from this site and put them in line we get better questions but lets be honest, if you took the top 20 posters from here to blizzcon we would all either be 1. playing D3 or 2. in line waiting to play D3 again.

AxeX

Diabloii.Net Member

I'm still pissed off donuts won't be in diablo 3 =(

Merick

Diabloii.Net Member

I have to say, it's interesting how different game communities differ. There was a Guild Wars 2 developer Q&A, in which most of the questions were as ridiculous a waste of time as the D3 Q&A. Someone got their 5 year-old daughter to ask when the game would come out (which was gushed about on the official blog), for example.

I very gently stated that it was a bit of waste to ask questions that could be found on any FAQ when there were so many unanswered questions. I took a heavy pounding, since "most fans aren't as dedicated as us, so they should be able to ask whatever they want".

I'm glad people here were a bit disappointed, and that I'm not just crazy.

Apocalypse

Diabloii.Net Member

i really think its an issue of, the hardcore D3 followers were playing the game or waiting in line. also need to remember that those now at blizzcon got info much faster than those who were there so we had better questions to ask.

in the end it could have been much better but we still got some good info