Latest Diablo 3 News
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

D3? O rly?

Discussion in 'Diablo 2 Community Forum' started by tuxor, Aug 27, 2006.

1. tuxor

tuxor Diabloii.Net Member

2. Inokis

Inokis Diabloii.Net Member

...and your point is? Its probably going to be a new RTS title since those are the developers they've been looking to hire atm...

3. tuxor

tuxor Diabloii.Net Member

:( i'm hurt Inokis

i'm sorry i was just relaying this bit of news I saw today, last time I was around here, diablo 3 was a "maybe" kind of thing.

sorry for wasting everyone's time

4. TKtrojan

TKtrojan Diabloii.Net Member

there is a star craft sequal... its a fps and its called star craft ghost, last i heard it was put on hold to be made for the next generation systems, and as of diablo 3 i really dont know what the story would be.... all 3 brothers stones were distroyed

5. adecoy

adecoy Diabloii.Net Member

6. Inokis

They missed the platform "sweet spot" for developing the game. By the time they were going to finish it the next gen consoles would be out and they'd be behind the curve trying to catch up and make revenue off of it.

7. Inokis

Don't be hurt i was just asking what the point you were making was.

8. Dawnmaster

Dawnmaster Diabloii.Net Member

Well, first of all, if it isn't announced on Bnet or BlizzardCom, don't bother to spread the news.

Second, IF they make a Diablo3, with more or less the storyline from 1 and 2, they could:
    A) make a prequel to Diablo1/2 (the history/capture of the other brothers orso?)
    B) make a sequel to Diablo2 (something about cleaning up Hell, or facing the Brothers' Ghosts 'again' in the Abyss or the Nether)
    C) make something new (no idea why and how)

9. BluzMan

BluzMan Banned

Well, dunno about SC 2, if they ever make it, it will undoubtedly compete with StarCraft and will undoubtedly lose that competition. You can't make a masterpiece better, you can just make another one. Therefore, Blizzard is very unlikely to make another RTS with "StarCraft" in the title.

As for Diablo III, well, everyone knows that Diablo II left little trails to follow after its ending. Everyone dead, noone to slay, any attempts to "resurrect" the Three will seem stupid rather than epic. A prequel idea is nice, but you need to rewamp just about everything. And, by some odd reason, prequels fail commercially. There were once two brilliant games - Myth and Myth 2, their historical prequel Myth III: the Wolf Age failed its sales miserably.

So, me guesses that Blizzard has to suck ideas out of its finger to continue the work in these two universes. They are both pretty much finished and self-consistent to expand them.

10. RequiemDeath

RequiemDeath Diabloii.Net Member

If and when they do make a D3, I think they will have the other guys that were mentioned in the story from the first game play a bigger role than the "Big 3", The demons Belial, and Azmodan... The prequile idea is a wonderful thought IMO...

Quote from Diablo 1: "So it came to be that there was a great revolution within the burning Hells known as “The Dark Exile”. The Lesser Evils overthrew the Three Prime Evils, and banished their spirit forms to the mortal realm. The demons Belial (The Lord of Lies), and Azmodan (The Lord of Sin), fought to claim rulership over Hell during the absence of the three brothers. All of Hell polarized between the factions of Belial and Azmodan while the forces of the high Heavens continually battered upon the very gates of Hell."

How cool would that be? Characters being various members of the Horadrim, yadda yadda, being right in the middle of the Sin War, and ultimetly sealing Diablo and his brothers in the soul stones! Well, I'd buy that for a dollar... ^_^

*Requiem_Death

11. Inokis

Nice premise, but I can guarantee that blizz will push something into the game that no one wants making it undesirable to play. DII is a good game but they have pushed some things on to ppl that really they don't want; and the same goes for WoW.

WoW, however, has the advantage of interface mods, where if you don't like something, add it or change it. One perfect example is that anyone could spam you dialogue boxes for trading, dueling etc... People would do this in the middle of combat etc making it very difficult to do what you wanted. Their solution to the problem was for the user to add the person to the ignore list. I decided this wasn't adequate and created a mod that ignored those requests if you set it to do so.

This is one example of pushing things on people that they don't want. I do not like being spammed and I think it was crappy that they didn't put controls on those requests. Just as I think the hostility implementation in dii is crappy and shouldn't be forced upon ppl either.

12. DIEnamic

DIEnamic Diabloii.Net Member

D3 would be cool in my book as long as they give smite AR... but in all seriousness, they are having too much success with WoW to roll out another RPG. with wc3 and sc slowly declining, a new blizzard RTS is imminent.

perhaps blizz is just throwing us curveballs by hiring so called "balance experts" and such pertaining to a RTS. maybe we'll see a diablo RTS a la everquest style (only this time it doesn't fail).

13. adecoy

making a second mmo to compete with world of warcraft is just bad in every way. it will most likely be another battlenet supported game... whatever it may be

14. DIEnamic

DIEnamic Diabloii.Net Member

they will have a hard time following up on the success that starcraft had :(

my guess is it will be a whole new franchise. not starcraft, warcraft, or even diablo.

15. calibansfury

calibansfury Diabloii.Net Member

No need to give smite AR. Give the smiters a dual wield barbie.

gg smiterzownzu!!!!!!!!

16. adecoy

impossible, you can always make a game better, always!