Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

D3 more WoW-like than Diablo-esque?

Discussion in 'Diablo 3 General Discussion' started by goishen, Aug 24, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. goishen

goishen IncGamers Member

D3 more WoW-like than Diablo-esque?

Everything that Blizzard has stated in the past few months has led me to the conclusion that the game will me more WoW-like and less Diablo-esque. Sure, maybe it'll have the same feel as Diablo, but it'll play more like WoW. Whereas, you're not just gently pushed to go online by the game saying, "Hey, here's b.net, an online service." It's more like the 800 lb gorilla in the room saying, "Play it now."

And I'm not sure how I feel about that, but the general feeling is that of a good one. I always *wanted* to play D2 with other people. And the distrust of hackers, of item stealers, of gankers, led me to only play with people I knew.

And the only people I knew that played D2 were either in one of two categories. 1. Either hardcore grinders. When I get ready to play at 7pm, they've already found a group and are grinding away and had already wayyyy out leveled me. 2. So casual that I never saw them on. More than once I'd group with a friend, "Oh yah, I play all the time..." Then never see them again. So I was screwed from using b.net.

Now, I consider myself a pretty casual gamer that can get more serious when the time calls for it. However, I do have a social life outside of gaming. Going out, drinking, having a good time with real life friends, trying (note the use of the word trying) to score with chicks. But I think that having the game more like WoW in terms of gameplay mechanic, not gameplay feel, is a good thing.

What I also think that everybody here is forgetting... About when they introduced the Real ID system, they weren't just adding a feature. They were building a Steam - Like system that incorporated all games from the Blizzard Universe. I'm sure somebody here can find the post, but it's what Blizzard had been wanting to do all along.

Thoughts?

EDIT : BTW, great job on the podcasts. On #35. Flux, I think I can answer one of your questions about monsters with resists and such in D3. (Either in Hardcore, etc) I think that once a week they'll take the servers down, and that'll be the time your games reset.

2. Exile

Exile IncGamers Member

Re: D3 more WoW-like than Diablo-esque?

Another post about how D3 is like WoW. Everyone take a shot!

3. ClockworkBeast

ClockworkBeast IncGamers Member

This may be the first post comparing D3 to WoW that I've read which is generally of a positive and optimistic tone. Now I've seen it all!

Just curious, which gameplay mechanics do you think are similar between D3 and WoW?

4. Crudesash68

Crudesash68 IncGamers Member

I wrote the following in hopes that it would make a nice column, but perhaps I don't need to keep it a secret...I can always write something else.

Through A WoW Lens, Brightly

The recent revelation that Diablo 3 would be an online-only game came as quite a shock to many longtime single player devotees, and while I certainly number myself of that ilk, my experiences with World of Warcraft have allowed me to embrace an online-only experience.

Back in 2003, before I had heard of World of Warcraft, the thought of forcing me to be online to play Diablo 2 would have been ludicrous, and I would have waxed vitriolic on the evils of being stuck online, the demons of constant marketing, and the hell of losing my solitude. My skittish, timid forays into Battle.net play left me with a very poor opinion of online play and the community that engaged in it. I enjoyed my little corner of the internet, the Single Player Forum. Here I was safe from hackers, dupers, botters, and the vulgar immaturity that seemed to seep into every part of what was then Battle.net.

There is an old adage that says, no risk, no reward, and while I was safe from those things, I also never had a chance to see the positives that can come with online play, the camaraderie and fun and sense of community. I would have never had this opportunity, if not for the innocent act of buying a new computer.

The time had come (July 2006) to replace my 5 year old PC, with its 20 gig hard drive (lol), and tortoise-like processor. So, while I was at the electronics store getting my new rig, I happened to see that WoW box, the original with the Dwarf and Night Elf. Over 5 million online! It was on sale for 30 bucks, included a free month...I figured, what the hell, I'll give it a shot.

What started as a lark became an obsession that made my Diablo 2 passion seem tame. I'd say I played close to 3000 hours the first 18 months or so. It was so different from Diablo, and so many challenges. The string through it though, for most of my time playing it, was the people I met.

I won't say there weren't bad experiences; loot ninja's, internet tough guys, creeps, elitists, beggars, slackers. Yet I found that by just being myself, the game was a great deal of fun, and I learned how to tune out the poorer elements, something I'd never allowed to happen in Diablo 2. I made friends, found kindred spirits; we shared stories, laughs, and serious moments. We fought and cheered, struggled together and farmed for what felt like forever for flasks that vanished in an hour, and we were happy.

It is these memories that offer me optimism for an online future with the Diablo franchise. Part of me wants that safe haven where no one can get in, and I can never worry about what the guy next me is or isn't doing. Part of me is annoyed at Blizzard for not giving me the choice. Yet the part of me that had a blast playing WoW for over 5 years knows that perhaps, the best is yet to come.

5. Zeramus

Zeramus IncGamers Member

WoW is great in its own way. I've played since open beta, it's not like I don't like it. But I would've appreciated it if they had made a little more distinction between the two games. I want Diablo because I'm getting a little tired of WoW.

6. Sixline

Sixline IncGamers Member

I am not trying to defend World of Warcraft here, but I am curious as to why you think it is a bad game?

7. Daemonaz

Daemonaz IncGamers Member

Another 3 year old dead horse being beaten I see. Diablo doesn't even look like WoW, and the things that it has borrowed from WoW are working concepts; why reinvent the wheel? Don't really understand all the WoW hate in here either.

8. Dahmer

Dahmer IncGamers Member

It's online and we kill stuff, it must be like WoW :eek:

9. niesent

niesent IncGamers Member

The haters are making their last rounds of desperate cries for attention

10. StarMage

StarMage IncGamers Member

You guys obviously did not read through the post. :yes:

11. unmoses

unmoses IncGamers Member

From a purely online standpoint, I only played Diablo2 online via battle.net, and in my opinion one of the reasons other "successors" failed for me was the multiplayer component was as well conceived (Titan Quest I felt would have really had more longevity for me if it had a server hosted function ala d2 battle.net.. aside from wonky imbalances to boot).

So in the "online" only comparison, they may be alike. Other than that, what? Off the top of my head, I can think of items taking one spot in inventory, and maybe arenas?

12. Raesene

Raesene IncGamers Member

Oh god, I wish WoW arena was more like Diablo. There are WoW players who have wanted a "team deathmatch" battle for quite a while. WoW arena.. bloody, visceral, active... these are words that do not describe it. It's an endurance test of whittling down the opposing healer's blue bar faster than your own. If the blue bars don't move.. well.. I lost an arena match once because my hand literally cramped up. I considered it a blessing in disguise.

13. Daemonaz

Daemonaz IncGamers Member

I read it, the same QQ allover just in a different package.

14. Zorrah

Zorrah IncGamers Member

Well, then, copied from my thread.

I am of the opinion that Diablo III will be much more like Diablo than WoW. There should really be no doubt that DIII will likely draw as heavily from WoW as WoW did from Diablo II.

I am a current WoW player and have been a WoW player since Beta, however, I have also been playing Diablo II since release and do consider Diablo II to be the better title.

At the time, WoW had me curious, very curious, however, it was indeed the first MMO that I liked, and a welcomed addition to Blizzards library, which I was already a huge fan of, including Blackthorne and the Lost Vikings, and of course, Warcraft: Orks and Humans, and Diablo.

After being crushed by what I considered to be a horrible nightmare, FFXI, I had realized that MMOs were not for me. Now, even back in Vanilla WoW, WoW actually did RPG better than it did MMO and it did RPG better than FFXI and now FFXIV could even hope to do.

Now, despite all the hate, WoW is still a solid title, but the current WoW fan base doesn't crave an MMO, it craves an RPG. So much disrespect for your fellow player, Greedy people grabbing gear for their "offspec", and it's gotten to the point to where I've seen serious suggestions in the forms that Blizzard allow the 5 man PUG dungeons be filled with NPC tanks because no one wants to tank for those whiny hellions and suggestions of giving raid gear for non-raid content.

We crave an ARPG so bad, and we desire it to be so far removed from any MMOs that any post with Diablo III and WoW in the same paragraph get flamed instantly, and a you must be online to play as a DRM is horribly despised despite there being precedence for it outside of Blizzard as well.

WoW itself moves further from an MMO with each passing day, and both the Devs and the community are to blame. I always disliked the PvP format of Diablo II and the PvP format of the "pvp" servers in WoW.

I do not crave an Online ARPG, or an MMORPG, I crave a straight up ARPG. On that, Diablo III will deliver, despite all of Diablo and Diablo II it leaves behind and all of the WoW stuff it may or may not pick up.

Blizzard knows this, that's why we get "followers" for normal mode. I would think that a good chunk of players that play beyond normal are also the same type to enjoy multiplayer, and are the same type who practice hard enough to either make due with their lack of a pocket tank, or buddy up with a barbarian to pocket tank for them.

Although, here it's come down to comparing WoW to Diablo III is flamebait, there is a great deal about WoW that Blizzard knows, and can use that knowledge to make Diablo III even better. The art style is very functional, makes it easier to run on lower end systems, and is quite pleasing to the eye. WoW deserves no rewards for graphics, but the stylization of the game keeps it competitive even now (like the style or not, this is also a numbers thing, despite the people leaving, and despite the age of the graphics, they don't seem to be driving that many away in the grand scheme of things). I'm of the opinion that the same thing will happen to Diablo III, the graphics are pushing it these days, but when we get the game and get right down to it, I believe these graphics will actually age better than the games that are trying so hard now to push the envelope.

In WoW, I see rotations change very drastically with different specs, and while they may not have access to select skill tree abilities, they have access to a great deal of skills whether specced for it or not. I foresee a great deal of different in play style, not brought on by differences in skill selection, but in rune and gear selection as well. That will certainly be harder to change on the fly than a couple of little skills. Maybe it will go so far as to make it so that when you get various sidegrades, you'll want to sell your old piece even less.

I had the thread connecting WoW and Diablo III better formed in my head, but ultimately, my point is that thread is not as horrible as people think, and despite Blizzards online shenanigans, they do have their fingers on the pulse of the community more than you might think sometimes. Also, that community includes, Warcraft fans, WoW fans, Starcraft fans, and Diablo fans. This is a natural evolution of gaming, and it is good.

Because apparently people couldn't handle it.

Now my thread can die in obscurity like it apparently deserves.

Edit. Also now, reading my thread and this one, they couldn't be more unrelated if I tried.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2011
  15. darkrealm

darkrealm IncGamers Site Pal

The comparison to WoW is not very valid.
    1)RMH does not exist in WoW
    2)Using terrain to kill anything in WoW does not exist
    3) Rune systems do not exist, just gems
    4) Playing with a few others is not even close to WoW from the old days of 40 man to the current 25/10 man raids
    5) Mods(ie raid tools, etc) will not exist in Diablo
    6) GF/MF does not exist in WoW
    7) Unbound items that are useful are few and far between in WoW
    8) Mobs in WoW are vastly different in how you approach and kill them unless you are 20+ lvls higher
    9) Solo grinding in WoW is not the "norm", with the exception of certain gathering skills

The only thing I see as a comparison to both is that they will both be on line.

16. Azzure

Azzure IncGamers Member

I think the whole argument of "D3 becoming like WoW" is invalid. WoW is not a development concept, it is a game. The developers (Blizzard) are the authors of the game, so why are people surprised that there are MANY similarities between the two games? Developers grow and hone their skills as they get more experience making games. It's evolution of skill, not "becoming WoW-like".

WoW taught Blizzard many, many lessons about games, and game design. This is not a bad thing, in fact it is a more solid argument that WoW will make D3 a much better game than it would have been.

17. Zarniwoop

Zarniwoop IncGamers Member

Its certainly not more like Wow than Diablo as it retains its isometric perspective and random levels with monsters.

But, its design philosophy is 500 percent more wow than D2's was. There's no question about this.

Take your shots fanbois, but this is just blatantly obvious.

THAT SAID - THAT ISNT NECESSARILY A BAD THING! I personally feel that it sucks, but the average gamer will love it.

18. niesent

niesent IncGamers Member

Did you read it?

19. Bad Ash

Bad Ash IncGamers Member

this subject is way way WAY old and leads to way more bashing than necessary

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.