Latest Diablo 3 News
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

D3 Ladder Season

Discussion in 'Diablo 3 General Discussion' started by MaLiC, Jun 8, 2009.

1. MaLiC

MaLiC Diabloii.Net Member

D3 Ladder Season

Has anything about this been stated before? Forgive me if I missed it in another thread.

I really hope not though. I did, however, like the ladder seasons that eventually found their way into D2, mainly because of the immediate removal of dupes for the start of the ladder, and was always fun working my way back up.

Now though, I am much older, and I don't have nearly the time to play D3 as I did with D2. I would hate to feel like I was getting comfortable with my character builds and the items that I had acquired just to have them all pushed down to non-ladder. I know people will say, "just play non-ladder", but I know the majority of the people will be playing actual ladder, and that is where you will find most of your trading (which I actually really enjoyed about D2).

Also, on a side note, I have read something about auto-attributes in D3, has this been confirmed, and if so, can I get a link to the source? (I really hope this is not the case)

Either way, Ladder or no ladder, auto attributes or not, I have been playing D1 and D2 both on and off since release, and there is nothing (not even a pay to play system) that will stop me from buying and enjoying D3 to it's fullest.

2. Ishtor

Ishtor Diabloii.Net Member

Re: D3 Ladder Season

I dont think they have mentioned anything about ladder season yet, and i dont see why they would not include them. understanding you do not have a lot of time to play, because i am in the same spot, but playing ladder has its benifits, and defantly something that should return.

Auot attributes have been confirmed from what i understand, i dont know where to find that information, but there wasa thread about this already and had a link to the sorc in it. I dont like it either. being able to distributed your own stats let you personalize your build, and allow you to more control what you equipped and when you can equip it. This is one thing i am never very pleased about myself.

I agree, i palyed both diablo games, and i claim diablo 2 is the game that stole my soul, there will be nothing that will keep me from buy this game the day it comes out and playing it till i fall alsleep at the keyboard, and even then i will coninue to play in my dreams :))

3. Boo_Rack

Boo_Rack Diabloii.Net Member

Hoping theres no ladder. Hated having to start over all and as much as D3 will probably be amazing, having to start over frequently (and usually with the same build) will get old fast.

4. MaLiC

MaLiC Diabloii.Net Member

What benefits do you mean? There is the ladder only items, but they eventually make it to non-ladder anyway, and the only other benefit is the removal of dupes from ladder, but that only lasts a short period, and hopefully the security will be much improved so that dupes do not exist

5. zaxxon

zaxxon Banned

If duping can be prevented (lol), ladder is not necessary and imo destroys the basic foundation of the game.

That being said, I do freely admit that there are positives to the ladder concept. However, for me the negatives outweigh the positives.

6. Akse

Akse Banned

In D2, non-ladder/ladder separation was a nice cure for dupes and bugged items that existed in 1.09. However in D3 we don't have such problems (I really Hope!!) so Imo we shouldn't have to separate ladder and non-ladder this time. Separating communities is not fun, HC and SC is enough separation.

Also like we see now blizz announced in April that ladder reset is coming soonish.. so something like 50% of the people stopped playing cause whats the point when everything you gain is basically wiped in some weeks (well it took a longer time). Of course it is somewhat fun to start the new ladder without any gear and help from high levels but that only lasts for so short time.

7. lagalot

lagalot Diabloii.Net Member

Imo separating ladder was a good idea ,making the game playable as it was meant from scratch originally.Sure it may have been implemented partly to clear dupes for a period of time but it also puts eveyone on an even starting point.

Pre 1.10 it was simply a matter of leveling a character high enough to use the items gathered prior to ladder reset then twink new character and storm up the ladder.Separating the two really added a very new fresh challenge to the game.

Being the first lvl 99 on new ladder may not be everyones high pont in diablo2 but certainly for a large percentage of the diablo2 community competing to be high up or just on ladder is a enjoyable part of the game.Refreshing each new ladder at an even starting pont for all just makes a lot of sense.

The alternative is always there to not play the ladder again and simply continue non lad and use what has been accumulated prior.

8. NASE

NASE Diabloii.Net Member

Auto-attributes have been confirmed, yet the exact implementation has not been revealed. There has to be some way to effect you stats. There are stats-altering-skills yet many people assume there will be an additional system, possibly through items, the talisman, crafting etc.
    Check out the wikipage.
    http://www.diablowiki.net/Attributes

9. Akse

Akse Banned

Yeah like NASE said there will be a lot of skills that enhance your stats so in a way this time you alter your stats via skills.

10. stillman

stillman Diabloii.Net Member

Without ladder, there will accumulate thousands of every item and nothing will be rare like it used to be. CoA would sell for pebbles. I don't see how Blizzard could fix this problem unless they make ladder seasons.

11. Leord

Leord Diabloii.Net Member

Since the main reason for the ladders really is for people to play legit for a little bit at least, I assume that the immediate need for a ladder in D3 will go away. If people don;t like the idea, I'm sure it won't be implemented.

If people scream for a ladder otoh, then it probably will.

I would probably just go without it, if they have a working economy.

12. Drakk

Drakk Diabloii.Net Member

I agree we shouldn't need a ladder reset every year/patch in D3 because there shouldn't be any hacks/dupes/etc to warrent one. Also, there shouldn't be a way to rush characters like in D2 so it won't be as easy to regain your wealth after a ladder reset. I would enjoy a reset for expansion releases, just to even the playing field and enjoy the race to the top a couple extra times, but it shouldn't be needed.

13. sbn

sbn Diabloii.Net Member

I thought the primary reason for the ladder was the competition to reach the top, hence the whole ladder name and list. Anyways, it became moot once bots where able to run 24/7 leveling, then they have bots that can level the hammerdin AND bot leeching. Of course the real truth to the whole ladder was even if bots were removed, it all came down to who could devote the most time.

But considering how Blizzard has handled the whole "Ladder Seasons", no I do not want a ladder. I don't know when ladders came to be, I do not remember them in 2000. Yet when I did come back to the game in 2006 I do seem to remember a lot of cries for a bleeping answer to when the ladder was going to be reset. From my view, the whole ladder start/stop seems to be whenever someone decides at Blizzard to get off his fat *#&@ and hit the reset button. No, I would accept a set schedule, but not this garbage. I think the recent fiasco that is continuing to mount with the assumption given that a reset would be soon over 2 months ago just illustrates how poorly they manage this. This last ladder I did not play, but the one before was my last. I honestly had done that ladder knowing it was quite possible that Blizzard would once again forget about the ladder and simply let it continue.

I do agree with sentiments that it is quite a pain just when you are begining to enjoy your characters, BOOOM! Reset. Besides aspects such as ladder only items, increased difficulty, etc.. the biggest reason to play the ladder, and in my opinion the only reason to play is simply it has the largest player base. Yet with all the negatives, it just comes out to actually forcing me to quite the game. NL can be dead compared to Ladder, and I simply do not have the energy or time to devote, only to have the rug pulled out from under me at some random time of their choosing.

14. K-Lined

K-Lined Diabloii.Net Member

Duping is prevented in WoW, why would D3 be any different?

15. Galtrovan

Galtrovan Diabloii.Net Member

So don't start over. When D3 is released, play ladder. At initial release, I would surmise everyone will play ladder instead of non-ladder as there is no reason not to play ladder (there are not any characters/equipment to give up by being forced to start over). Then when the ladder resets, continue to enjoy your existing characters and equipment on non-ladder. I'm sure a lot of people will make this choice. However, I'm also sure a lot will want to start over too.

Having a choice is the best of both worlds.

16. Galtrovan

Blizzard's reset announcement was the reason I started playing again. I wanted to get back into the swing of things so that I would be ready for the reset. And, I also wanted to see how far I could get, and how much equipment I could acquire before Blizzard actually got around to resseting the ladder.

I currently have 2 80ish chars, a 50ish, and a 30ish. And if Blizzard doesn't reset soon, I'll have 4 chars at 90ish and found/made all the legit gear I need to decimate the game. Then I'll get bored and quit until the reset actually happens.

17. Galtrovan

This is exactly why I don't play non-ladder. I've played this game on/off for 10 years. I cannot imagine doing this if each and every time I picked the game up again I had access to my entire previous wealth. There would be no point in playing.

18. Azumazi

Azumazi Diabloii.Net Member

Not to be effusive, but don't you mean "9" years? The whole everyone saying 10 years is a bit annoying when the game has only been out for 9 years, and it hasn't even been a full 9 years yet till this late June.

Also about the whole everytime you come back, most of us were gone for so long in between that period of nine years that our accounts were lost and or the characters gone. I personally found the ladder to be just the same as Non-ladder when it came to gear. Just as many dupes, if not more due to higher population and the usual criteria for the same asshats that dominate the game still. Ironically, I have discovered that non-ladder has much better people. I play hardcore only on bnet, and in the last three months that I have been back, I haven't seen a single tppk, and overall the community that is around on non-ladder, since it is small, we all know one another and give each other a hand. I've yet to have someone steal an item on a drop, hell we know the community so well I've muled in a public game and didn't have a single item stolen since we generally watched each others backs. This is the sort of community I usually only saw while LAN gaming, but I have to say I am much more enjoying this which is something I wish D3 would have a small part of in clairvoyance to the trendsetters that seems to be plaguing the usual online community with shear rebutted hate, trash talking, and out right backstabbing.

Also fyi, this is coming from an old Pk, starting from the Diablo 1 days up to 2004 in Diablo 2. Something changed...it's called, I grew up and became an adult and saw how stupid the ideal of pure griefing was, and still is to this day. Which is why in retrospect Ladder shouldn't be needed in Diablo 3 with the new hostility system, the item allocation and the use of better party mechanics this should eliminate the need for players self segregating themselves into communities due to a few bad seeds.

(Apologize for the wall of text haha)

19. Galtrovan

When I said "this game" and "10 years" I was talking in terms of the Diablo franchise. I picked up Diablo1/Hellfire in 1999, which I had never played, when all the hype about a new game called Diablo2 was taking place.

20. stillman

stillman Diabloii.Net Member

I'm surprised how many people don't want ladder seasons. I love ladder resets. Like sbn said, it'd be nice if there was some consistancy so we know whether it's going to be 1 year, 2 years or what instead of sporatic random times.

To quote a line from the king in Conan the Barbarian: "There comes a time when gold loses its luster..." Yes, when we're sitting atop our pile of riches with our godly foe-slaughtering characters all decked out in sweet gear, we start to wonder. "Is this all there is to life? Just owning everything? Man, if I were to make something besdes a zon, I would need mass wealth to get started and be up to par...oh wait, here's a whole account of riches. Ok, np then. (Sigh) I guess I could trade off everything I'm not using for a 3os helm with 30% frw or maybe some dex, or...OMG!!! A RESET IS COMING!! YES!!"