Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

D3 hackers convicted in court?

Discussion in 'Diablo 3 General Discussion' started by fmulder, May 21, 2015.

1. fmulder

fmulder Site Contributor

I remember a fair number of players complained of hacked accounts when D3 launched. Now an article from Fusion claims to have interviewed someone who had been convicted:
    http://fusion.net/story/137157/two-...or-stealing-virtual-items-from-other-players/
    Anyone around here had their account hacked and items stolen?

2. Dacar92

Dacar92 Community, Amazon, DH Moderator & Inc Clan Officer

When I first started playing WoW several years ago I had my brand new account ripped off. They stole my 75 gold and that was it. I was angry and surprised that someone would go to the trouble of stealing 75 gold, lol. and then got the authenticator. But nothing since.

3. kestegs

kestegs D3 Monk Moderator

Kinda crazy, I remember those stories of people remotely accessing your comp when it first happened.

I think it's fair they're punished since they actually broke into these computers. If they just hacked accounts then they wouldn't have been punished by law. People need to understand that the Internet is not free of real life consequences.

I had my account hacked back in d2 once. Of course I let my security software lapse, so it's (almost) my own fault.

4. altermaven

altermaven IncGamers Member

I was a fool in 2002, when D2 automated farmers were "the thing". well, said tools can go spectacularly wrong, so I went on to check what it got the next day, turns out someone raided my account because the tool apparently leaked the password in chat.

lesson learned folks: you can get severely penalised for cheating; you can get banned, you can get your hard-earned stuff looted.. or someone could do even worse. Just don't do it. It's not worth it. in fact, most tools have "remote trojan" written all over it. so it all boils down to one of two things: your game account gets compromised, or your comp's security gets compromised.

And no worse thing than your comp being turned into a DoS zombie if said person is that unsavory.