Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

D3 Graphics

Discussion in 'Diablo 3 General Discussion' started by mjkittredge, May 2, 2008.

1. mjkittredge

mjkittredge IncGamers Member

D3 Graphics

I hope they don't go all disproportionate and cartoony like WoW. I know the attempts at realistic looking characters get bashed by some as looking 'plastic-y' or like dolls. Yet I personally prefer they go for natural human figures, motion capture, ect ect. The stylistic cartoony-ism just looks silly in my mind.

The graphics on the Diablo 2 character creation screen look great to me, if they could have something like them running around slaughtering monsters I'd be very excited about that. I'm sure, in 2008, Blizzard could manage a lot better, and still make it scaleable so people with older computers can still play if they turn down the settings a bit.

2. aishilee

aishilee IncGamers Member

Re: D3 Graphics

I haven played wow before. but when i see my friend's character, haha he was this cute little i dunnoe what is that. haha. well.. Diablo we got this small cute exploding dolls too..

3. mjkittredge

mjkittredge IncGamers Member

Probably a gnome. Silliest damn things, seeing a tiny gnome warrior in full plate jumping in the air swinging a giant axe. The kind of fantasy-ruining foolishness I hope never finds it's way into Diablo 3, or World of Diablo, or Diablo: Age of Repercussions or whatever the hell they name it.

4. IrreducibleParadox

IrreducibleParadox IncGamers Member

I'm actually worried about this. Bec. D2 did get a little cute with the fetishes, though it didn't cross my threshold. However SC2 seems more colorfull and Warcraftized compared to SC1. Fortunately it still works, I think it looks awesome, but I would absolutely hate it if they lost the dark vibe of Diablo with that same cartony style. It'd be stupid in my opinion for Blizzard to take away all variation from their great series. Hopefully they won't, but I'm worried all the same.

5. Crossxfire

Crossxfire IncGamers Member

I hope they keep the same kind of look and style like with the second diablo, i mean enhance them more to look more bad *** and more interaction with other monsters but nothing to over the top yanno?

6. Vizian

Vizian IncGamers Member

I want to hear them say more awesome things after certain quests.

The necro is such a nerd in arcane sanctuary...

"This is amazing, I wish had time to study this creation."

7. ZeRgY

ZeRgY IncGamers Member

I don't think cartoony graphics would work well, but I don't think ultra-realistic graphics would work either. Something slick and stylized, kind of like a Frank Miller comic book or something would be neat.

8. BryanM

BryanM IncGamers Member

Cell shading to look like a gothic renaissance painting, or like the goofy renders of DII. Or the less goofy renders of DI.

9. Alc

Alc IncGamers Member

(warning: rant begins)
    The problem with realism is that as graphical resolution scales the player's expectations scale exponentially, especially for representations of human faces (see: uncanny valley), and it can be jarring experience. You can see the problem even within D2: the screen that comes up when you finish off a difficulty has Cain standing there, and he looks awful. It's a horrible moment that kills the schievement for me every time. It's a high-poly count render, and if the whole of Diablo 3 looked like that it'd be dire.

Of course, it won't. But even the recent attempts at visual realism in 3D games have been varied in their success. Oblivion was widely commended for great graphics, but I'd say that while it had a fantastic environment, the people in it were a joke. The characters in GTA 4 look weird to me, and their mocap animations are jerky and offputting. Bioshock, another game credited with an outstanding visual aesthetic, has barely any "normal" people in it - and on the few occasions where they crop up, they look out of place.

I guess I just see an industry obsessed with portraying humans realistically, and it never quite works. By contrast the film industry has mostly steered clear of realistic 3D humans, and the few attempts have flopped (see the soulless Final Fantasy movies, or The Polar Express - a children's movie whose bizzarely almost-real characters actually frightened many children who watched it).

So yeah. It doesn't need to be Fisher-Price, but keep it stylised please, Blizzard.

10. IrreducibleParadox

I disagree entirely with the uncanny valley theory in so far as it extends to games. I don't see any problem with the GTA characters which also do not attempt photorealism but rather are aiming for a somewhat stylized graphic novel look.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HyubR1rknBM

Heavy rain is another game to be where this issue has been discussed to death and I simply don't find anything problematic with less then perfect lip syncing in a face that strives for photo realism. It doesn't trouble me in the least.

That said D3 should not have a perspective that commonly goes into such detail that this "phenomenon" is like to occur.

11. Alc

Alc IncGamers Member

So you're saying that interactivity negates aesthetic concerns? Odd. How does this work for non-interactive cutscenes in games? Seems like a double standard to me.

They aren't photorealistic, but the designers were going pretty strongly for realism, and anyway, to the extent that they were aiming for stylised representation that would remove them from the uncanny valley issue, no?

I'm at work so can't hear the audio, but christ, she looks awful. I enjoyed Fahrenheit/Indigo Prophecy, mind, so the game will probably be interesting.

Yeah, I completely agree.

12. IrreducibleParadox

interactivity would not remove the effect. But continuous experience of incrementally improved graphics would habituate the effect into nothing. That robot looks creepy but the robot is in a real world setting, not a graphical representation of a real world setting. The mind in my opinion has an enormous capability of distinguishing the virtual from the real. Also non of us are used to robots. You might find the robot queer at your first encounter but after meeting it 4 to 10 times will you still have problems accepting it as it is without paralleling it to something that shares its characteristics (IE a human) I don't think so.

I experienced no uncanny valley issues with GTA 4, none. Not once did I get a feeling akin to; "wow that looks so surreal that it assaults my senses".

As for Fahrenheit I liked the first part but laughed my way through the second. I think that Yatzhee at zero punctuation described it best in his review of Condemned 2 when he referred to something called the Fahrenheit syndrome. Namely that the plot goes haywire with superpowers mystical cults and whatnot.

13. Echomaster

Echomaster IncGamers Member

I think the Diablo 3 graphics should move out of the Intel Intergrated graphics area into GeForce 6 area or Ati Radeon where ever that is equilvent to. Right now we are living in a generation of GeForce 9 series which just recently came out. If diablo 3 is going to be the same graphics as D2, I think not many people are going to buy this game because if you compare the graphics with D2 and Call of Duty 4, more people would go with Call of Duty 4 since it has way better graphics.

14. Alc

Alc IncGamers Member

Sorry, what robot?

Yeah, you're less sensitive to it, that's fine. So long as you're aware that it really bugs other people.

The ending is daft, but the game design was fairly innovative. If they can pull off something similarly interesting this time around I'll probably put up with that horrific lip synch for long enough to complete the game.

Uh... nobody was seriously suggesting that Diablo 3 should use the same engine as Diablo 2, that's ridiculous. Neither is Diablo 3 likely to be in competition with CoD4, for one thing they're not even vaguely related in terms of genre, and for another, CoD4 will be old news by the time Diablo 3 finally gets released.