Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

D3 Breaks a Video Game Trend?

Discussion in 'Diablo 3 General Discussion' started by Flux, Jul 11, 2010.

1. Flux

Flux Administrator

D3 Breaks a Video Game Trend?

Saw this image on a funny picture site, and it cried out to me.

[​IMG]

So, can D3 actually defy this? The Barb is too old, the Monk has no hair (and is too old?), the Wizard is Asian and younger, and the WD is older and (Black? Caribbean? Indian?) He's not white and 30, at least.

Of course there's a 5th character yet to come, and if the archer/rogue is what we all expect... we may yet get our 30ish white male. Still, 1/5 isn't bad, when you're aiming to miss a tiresome trend.

2. permaximum

permaximum Banned

Re: D3 Breaks a Video Game Trend?

I don't think D3 will have 30ish brown haired white character but i truely know why these games use these type of characters.

30ish brown haired white men are the most common type of human beings in the world. Although players are younger, they can see their matured future there. This way, it's easy for them to think they can be one of them one day.

D3 is not a realistic game, so i don't think it needs this type of MAN :)

3. djfriesen

djfriesen IncGamers Member

i would be impressed if anyone could name all 20 protagonists and their respective games. I, for one, know only two games, and don't know the names for either character. . .

4. stillman

stillman IncGamers Member

But, those guys are all brooding and moody...like someone we all know who dual wields.

The Barb is made up of many other trends, even if he avoids one.

[​IMG]

You know it's trendy to death when Star Wars does it.

[​IMG]

5. Moonfrost

Moonfrost IncGamers Member

Most of them are from console games: Nathan Drake from Uncharted, Michael Thornton from Alpha Protocol, Sam Fisher from Splinter Cell, Commander Shepard from Mass Effect, Alan Wake from Alan Wake and Niko Bellic from GTA4). The rest look so generic I honestly can't tell if I've ever seen them before.

Oh, and the scar across one eye thing is so overdone.

6. elganame

elganame IncGamers Member

Solid Snake created at least the half of the characters shown in that picture, including great part of theyr attitud and personality too!

Also permaximum is absolutly right, its more a psicological thing, not about a trend.

Still it wouldnt surprise me if the next character is a blondish style, we got bald, black and white haired characters...the zon used to be a great blond hot babe°!

7. Srikandi

Srikandi IncGamers Member

Dunno how customizable the characters are in those other games (not much, I expect, cause they're shooters afaik), but who on earth uses the default Shepard?

MY Commander Shepard was female and Southeast Asian/Javanese.

And as for D3, don't forget we have all the female versions too. Yay for options :)

8. Moonfrost

Moonfrost IncGamers Member

From what I have seen, everyone's Shepard tends to look a bit similar to the default one, to the point where you can tell it's Shepard even if you don't recognize anything else from the picture. Mine was female too but still resembled the default because I couldn't make her both different and attractive at the same time.

9. Leugi

Leugi IncGamers Member

Maybe, but it wouldn't be the MAIN 5th char, considering the main character might be the female...

Also, I'd like to point out that strangely enough I don't play any of the games that have those characters.. (Unless you add Jim Raynor to the facelist...)

10. phaolo

phaolo IncGamers Member

We're just lucky that Blizzard didn't follow the current action movies trend of silly superhero teens protagonists everywhere.. :yuck:

P.S: hey lots of posts in these days Flux! :p

11. Ephraim

Ephraim IncGamers Member

That statistic is wrong. Chinese males are the most common.

It is true, however, that the majority of the target audience for these games are white males in their 30s

12. Apocalypse

Apocalypse IncGamers Member

row 2 second pick is the guy from heavy rain, forget his name. was a fun game for the short time it lasted

as for the topic, never really noticed it outside of everyone being white. i also remember the mass outrage for GTASA cause the main guy was black. i actually thought it was really good but whatever

13. stillman

stillman IncGamers Member

I wonder why there are so few blonde males? Am I being crazy, or would people cry foul and accuse designers of supporting the notion of a superior Aryan race (killing machine, thoughts of nazi supermen, too contraversial?) I mean, in the 80's there were blond macho guys in arcade and console games all the time. Where are they now?

14. Flux

Flux Administrator

Blonde hair and long hair aren't that common, and it's probably more about graphics issues. Blonde wouldn't show up as well or provide as much contrast against the pink faces. And long hair is much more work to animate, compared to just sticking a few polygons on top and giving it a texture.

15. Malaterre

Malaterre IncGamers Member

I think the 30 years old brown guy is also the typical "adventure movie" character that we get accustomed to in so many movies or TV shows. So the video game designers are using this type of characters as the hero of adventure or action games (which are most of the games around).

Concerning the presence of brown rather than blond character, I think we also have some stereotypes here. I think in our mind a guy with brown hair is a better representation of a "male" adult character. Blond hair could be associated to a younger character.
    Let's take "Star Wars": Han Solo is an adult character and he is brown whereas Luke (which is more like a teenager or a young adult) is blond. Same in "Fantastic Fours": M. Fantastic is brown whereas the Human Torch is blond...
    We could also have the same kind of stereotypes for brown and blond girl characters.

Of course there are examples that completely contradict that: Craig as James Bond, Sutherland as Jack Bauer... but I think this is a minority compared to the vast number of characters that are brown. Of course this could simply be related to the fact that there are less blond than brown persons. But I think it is a bit more than that and that the brown/dark color is "favored" as the representation of an adult guy.

16. Slevinn

Slevinn IncGamers Member

I never noticed the trend before. Kind of funny though.

Also, bottom row, 2nd to the right I think is the guy from Red Faction? Can't think of his name right now, as I've only been into the second mission or so on Guerilla.

17. Apocalypse

Apocalypse IncGamers Member

the big breasted female character came on strong as the main for awhile. kinda shocked it has not taken off even more

18. Aisriyth

Aisriyth IncGamers Member

Most developers probably fit into that category which is why.

That being said. I am not a black Male but I think the Witch Doctor is by far the coolest character in Diablo 3 atm. So I don't think it has all that much to do with skin tone or gender even (remember lots of sorcs are around and most are probably male!).