D2X safety?

shortytoronto

Diabloii.Net Member
D2X safety?

I recently started playing D2 again, after about a years break. I didnt want to take a break, but my old computer packed in with virus' etc and i was never one to download things off 'funny' sites.
im just wondering if playing D2 online comes with a risk of virus'?
thanks for any advise.
shorty

Frosty_The_Snowman

Diabloii.Net Member
As soon as you're connected on the Internet, there is a risk that your computer gets attacked. That's why you have to install an up-to-date anti-virus software, and a firewall if possible. Some companies offer very nice packages, free for a personal use (anti-vir, zonealarm...), and with regular updates. A last advise : check the Microsoft update website, and install the most recent patches. Some viruses can exploit bugs/flaws in programs like Internet explorer / Outlook express (Remember Sasser, Blast Worm, etc...). You can also install an alternate browser (like Mozilla). Oh and yet another advice : never NEVER download/execute a third party program to your computer (everything with .exe or .com extension) if you're not absolutely certain of it's authenticity. Most of the time, you'll end up with a trojan virus of some weird things like that :thanks: !

- Frosty

Agateryon

Diabloii.Net Member
shortytoronto said:
thanks guys. the newest norton should do no?
shorty
A good firewall might be sygate personal firewall free) and antivirus (also free) avg 7.0 (better than norton imo) a good explorer is firefox :)

NEVER BUT NEVER USE ZONE ALARM :lol: i formated the disk 8 times in one day coz of it :eek:

SuggestiveName

Diabloii.Net Member
Even the firewall built into windows is better than nothing. Personally I've not had any problems with zone alarm.

mhl12

Diabloii.Net Member
Many many people play online. Very few get viruses. As long as you don't download a 3rd party program, you'll be fine.