Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

D2's Large weapon displays VS D3's one slot item icons ifr

Discussion in 'Diablo 3 General Discussion' started by Boss, Jul 12, 2008.

1. Boss

Boss IncGamers Member

D2's Large weapon displays VS D3's one slot item icons

D2's large item displays where you can see each weapon in its full unique glory, versus D3's small weapon icons where the most prominent aspect is stats.

It seems items take up only one tile each in the D3 inventory, similar to the system in WOW. But will this take away the feel of item lovin' we had in D2?

Sure it saves space and removes the tileset placement thing that can delay your jumping into action (not to mention the annoying need for mules).

But the issue here is: weapons and items we used to covet will now be shown in small display, like little icons.

To me, WOW items felt more like stats, stuff merely worn to survive. I didn't really feel attached to them.

Will this destroy the love we had for D2's Large item display, and reduce D3's items to a mere commodity of the game?

2. Mythor

Mythor IncGamers Member

Re: D2's Large weapon displays VS D3's one slot item icons

Yes, they won't be as pretty sitting there in your inventory.

However they'll actually be able to make them look much more unique when your character equips them. You won't find "Boss' Epic Longsword of Pwnage" and have it look like any other longsword but with a slightly blue tint. It'll actually look like an Epic Longsword of Pwnage should look.

On another note, shuffling inventory items around to make an appropriately sized hole for certain items never struck me as a particularly fun use of my time in the game. While it's sad that the inventory won't have those wonderful large graphics, I'm prepared to trade that for no longer having to shuffle things around to pick up some green gloves. :)

3. 5zigen

5zigen IncGamers Member

Personally I wish they would combine the inventory for D2 and WoW. I like the new system but I also didn't mind the inventory Tetris.

I have no problems with the current inventory system and if they allow stacking of gems and runes and potions I would be jubilant with the new system.

4. Uldyssian

Uldyssian IncGamers Member

Umm.. In case you missed it... This isn't Diablo 2.

Go play Diablo 2 if you enjoy the wepon art. No shame in that.

They aren't doing a copy/paste of Diablo 2 into Diablo 3.

5. PlasmaTorture

PlasmaTorture IncGamers Member

This is a sequel. Sequels are supposed to be related to the previous games in some ways (and in blizzard's philosophy, supposeldy they're doing 1/3rd old, 1/3rd improved, 1/3rd new). Is it such a crime that we want one of the series' defining aspects (big, large weapon art) to make a return?

6. Uldyssian

Large weapon icons were hardly a defining trait in the game. It was cool. But I have no issue moving on from this change.

I don't see the negative in things when it comes to games. People use forums like its some way to get Blizzard to go "Oh.. we were so dumb.. of course this post will make us change our new design philosophy... I mean damn.. we've only been at this for a few decades..."

7. raveharu

raveharu IncGamers Member

Accept the new changes, and I believed there already are threads made to discuss about the inventory issue.

Use the "search" button next time, instead of making similar threads.

8. Rhiana

Rhiana IncGamers Member

I don't really mind the inventory change. I've been playing Guild Wars for nearly two years now, and it has a similar inventory style. If Runes/Potions/Gems and such will stack, it will be just awesome.

9. konfeta

konfeta IncGamers Member

Yes, it is a crime against evolution, Blizzard, and the ARPG genre itself. For every D2 fanboy whiner you get complaining about changes in what are essentially details, you 10 whiners outside of that fanbase complaining how Blizzard is making Diablo 2.25b. Diablo 3 needs to be significantly differentiated (and improved) from Diablo 2. A lot of people don't want a Diablo 2 with a shiny graphics update. People like us want actual moving forward of the genre that has been plagued by low quality games that tried nothing more than cash in on Blizzard's success.

Besides, as others have said, instead of staring at graphics in your inventory you get to stare at graphics on your character. They aren't removing the prettiness, they are moving it to a more relevant location.

10. PlasmaTorture

PlasmaTorture IncGamers Member

Holy assumptions and broad generalizations, batman.

Just because I want to be able to look at my inventory and IMMEDIATLEY (or close to it) know what I'm carrying = I don't want the game to be a full-fledged sequel? Additionally, I'd like to see my item have extremely well done inventory art AS WELL AS on my character... and most importantly, that the two MATCH.
    We already have seen in the demo that none of those three is the case. The two axes he's weilding in the beginning have nearly identical icons. The art for all the loot so far has been extremely lackluster and boring. Furthermore, the Helm's inventory art and 3-d art are COMPLETLEY DIFFERENT.

Also, I'd say art in inventory is 100000x more relevant to art on your character. Yes it's nice looking on your character, but whenever you interact with the item and thus need to know what is is quickly, you are in your inventory.

That's what I'm complaining about and I'd ask you to please not take what I'm saying and assume I have other thoughts and feelings about Diablo 3 that I don't. I think it looks fantastic overall except for a few points.

11. Akse

Akse Banned

I rather see a lot different looking items when they are ON my character, not in inventory. Think about this:
    If there is 1000 different looking items.. they make small icons for different item types so about 100 different types of icons. But when you wear them there are 1000 different looking items.

Now if u add the big icons they would have to do some work for them. 1000 different looking items ON you might go down to 100-500. But then you could enjoy the oh so nice looking items in inventory.

Most uniq items in D2 were just recolours of the white item anyways and if there were big icons in D3 I bet same would happen.

12. EThug

EThug IncGamers Member

I do not like the new D3 inventory. The D1/D2 system is much more attractive. D3's one slot item icon is just not good, it makes a generalisation about the style of the item and takes away the uniqueness. I do love the way they look on the character in the inventory (and out), but I dislike the one slot icon. It's bull****.

13. Flux

Flux Administrator

interface is one of the last things finalized in a game, these days. HGL was tweaking how things displayed all through the beta and up to release, so don't put much stock in how D3 looks now. they'll listen to fan input during the beta and adjust as needed. It's probably changed in some ways already, since the movie we saw at WWI.

14. konfeta

konfeta IncGamers Member

Most of your complaints about icons, etc. stems from the fact that this is a pre-alpha build. And quite frankly, you didn't "immediately" know what you carried in D2. You had to mouse over; just like you will have to do in D3. The only difference is larger amount of items that you carry will make it longer to do; which would be true if they just carried over and upsized the tetris.

The art for loot in D2 was extremely lackluster and boring, both on characters and in inventory. They just took the same model for the armor class and recolored it. The fact that Blizzard is gunning for more varied looks on the character models is a vast improvement over Diablo 2. I would prefer that they focused on that, and kept the Icons simple. Besides, with the low detail available from icons, they don't really need to match. If they really wanted an "inventory look" for the items with the new system, they would slap the graphics on the pop up window that you get when you mouse over the icon. I honestly don't think they will bother doing that until the last possible second, if they will do it at all.

Sorry. Most whining on about Diablo 3 not being a clone of Diablo 2 can generally be traced to one type of mindset.

15. Boss

Boss IncGamers Member

Chill Konfeta... No one's forcing their views on anyone else anyway. I guess it's probably the tetris tradeoff that you think sucks. I didn't like the idea of creating mules and being forced to spent precious time arranging items too.

But I'm asking if anyone else agrees they might become less attached to their weapons if their Cruel Giant Sword of Quickness looked as gigantic as a light mana potion in their inventory...

What if Blizzard manages to keep the pretty weapon art, yet somehow abolish the item puzzle game?

Would be sweet eh?

Infinite inventory space maybe? It's 'hammer space' we're talking about anyway.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2008
  16. Funkopotamus

Funkopotamus IncGamers Member

I almost like this system. What about small items though? It's great that my plate mail will take up the space of a ring but terrible that my ring takes up the same space as a plate mail.

Being able to identify items in the inventory is a valid point. Even if it's just a palette swap. One of the things that bogs down playing Hellgate for me is I can't sort through my inventory as fast as I could in the Diablos. You have to open a menu on each and every item and look at the stats one at a time.

Though the situation here isn't nearly as bad, it could irk some.
    What? Why is it either/or?

17. freemanstretten

freemanstretten IncGamers Member

I personally enjoy looking at the D2 style art in the inventory. At a quick glance I can tell if I've got some hard leather armor, or a nice chainmail piece. I can quickly tell (without mousing over) if I have a short or long bow, or whether or not I have a dagger or short sword. Granted if I have two types of items (two helms for instance), I would have to mouse over to see the different stats.
    Now, the tetris idea never really bothered me... it makes me have to decide on what to take in the middle of the battlefield. What's more important, the blue armor or the one blue short sword plus the scepter (which would I want to keep to get the most money... or I suppose I could just TP and grab both :)).
    There's nothing wrong with keeping the D2 style inventory and having it auto populate and adjust to space considerations is there?

If they have made a 3d model for the character, then they pretty much already have the model required for a pre-rendered inventory icon. There really isn't a greater amount of work required to produce it.

The concept of bags can still be used... additional bags would grant you larger space (like the mods for D2 that expand the inventory) or just throw a bag icon next to a backpack icon above the main inventory space and allow switching between them (similar to Guild wars I believe).

I love the new way the game is looking... and I certainly wouldn't moan about the inventory if they continue the way they're going... I'm just suggesting how it could possibly work.
    Having never played WoW before I have no idea what has been translated from there or not, but if it works out and makes a better game experience, then I'll be happy.

Cheers everyone!

18. s4nder

s4nder IncGamers Member

I'd prefer larger items in the inventory like in D2 but one-slot items are acceptable as well.

19. Uldyssian

I like neat looking Inventory weapons. But Its cumbersome and I am very happy I can carry more now and not have to play "inventory tetris"... there must be a better mini game they can make this time. ; )

20. Apocalypse

Apocalypse IncGamers Member

this really seems like a minor issue to me. inventory art will not sell the game nor will it cause anyone at all to not buy it. the tetris mini game really was rather annoying and i for one am glad to see it gone.