Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

D2 vs. SC

Discussion in 'Diablo 2 Community Forum' started by bunghole, Mar 17, 2004.

1. bunghole

bunghole IncGamers Member

D2 vs. SC

In a few days coming up here, we will have to choose between diabloII and starcraft on the gamespy game grudge. Im really torn on this one. IMO D2 is the best rpg out there and SC is the best RTS out there. Its like we have to compare the genres themselves. D2 is so addicting, SC is so balanced. Theres nothing like the thrill of beating someone down with a fleet of guardians, and theres nothing like seeing a unique sacred armor drop. The games themselves are mind blowing. Which would you choose and why? (i bet its mostly going to be D2, this is a d2 forum after all. I would choose sc if you ask me)

2. WackenOpenAir

WackenOpenAir IncGamers Member

I will go for starcraft for sure. It has ruined 4 years of my life, no game can ever beat that.

3. smokey[dead]

smokey[dead] Banned

Starcraft. I love d2 and all, but sc is more genre defining. The game mechanics were the first of its kind and its so well balanced like bunghole said. D2 is just a very good addition to the diablo series. I have not seen a game like starcraft to date. Not even wc3 imo

4. Gul'Dan

Gul'Dan IncGamers Member

SC had ruined my life for about a year while D2 had ruined my life for 2-1/2 years. SC is just so perfectly balanced, but D2, while not nearly as balanced as SC, does give infinite variety on builds and item finds. SC is more fun on average, unless there are back stabber almost every game you have fun, but on D2, while majority of the time is threadmill leveling/mf, nothing beats the satisfaction of seeing that golden hydra bow drops.

So in a nutshell, SC is like a crusader bow while D2 is like a hydra bow. They do the same average damage over time but D2 does lower min damage while higher max damage. Curse game spy to have me make this choice, i refuse to vote on that one.

5. smokey[dead]

smokey[dead] Banned

lol nice use of a simile there. or is a metaphor? I could never tell :(

6. SnowDrake

SnowDrake IncGamers Member

While I enjoy Diablo 2, I must say I will vote Starcraft. Starcraft was unique and was really groundbreaking for it's time (hell it still has alot of people playing it today, and it's like what? 8 years old?). The perfect balance of races while having all the races completely different was new for RTSs as well....

To me, Warcraft 3 is VERY close to Starcraft, in that both of them are great games IMO. However, I still voted Starcraft in the SC vs. WC3 because I like starcraft just that tad bit more...

I'd like to say Diablo 2 isn't really a true RPG.... far too many action elements to the game for it to be a real RPG. It's fun, but really it's just something I play when I feel braindead.

So Starcraft for me!

7. warlock_666

warlock_666 IncGamers Member

The first part: "SC is like a crusader bow while D2 is like a hydra bow" is a similie.

This part: "They do the same average damage over time but D2 does lower min damage while higher max damage." Is either the explanation of the similie or a metaphor, whichever way you look at it.

8. Reggitsan

Reggitsan Banned

My vote is on Starcraft. Best PC game of all time. I still remember my first time building a fleet of Carriers and flying them to the enemy. Sigh, those were the days.

9. bunghole

bunghole IncGamers Member

wow im glad everyone has said sc.

I agree that SC is just so awesome. I dont know how blizzard managed to balance 3 completely different races. Its truly amazing. I also believe D2 has some immense depth to it. You think you know a lot about the game, but theres so much more to learn.

SC has basically become the ultimate target for other developers when they make RTS's. Its also horrifying for blizzard to try to top someday. Hell, i would be happy if they just upped the graphics.

In the end it just has to be sc. Its just so perfect!

10. th5418

th5418 Banned

*goes crazy* HOW CAN I VOTE! HOWWWW *gives blood curling scream*

11. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets IncGamers Member

Starcraft.. I've been playing it since 1999. Off and on.. I take 2 or even 3 month breaks.. But I always come back. Actually I'm really addicted now.. thanks too WG Europes point system.. Their bots are amazing!! I just wish people would stop playing Lost Temple and Gamae Gowon so much.. Legacy of Char, or Enter the Dragon anyone?

Diablo II.. what can I say.. I bought the game when it first game out! 70 or 80 dollars I can't remember (I pre-ordered it..) I quit playing, after the expansion came out.. but I couldn't take it anymore.. I HAD TO BUY IT ARGGGG (even though I was dirt poor.. I came up with the 30 dollars..)

I take longer breaks with D2 than I do with SC. so..

I vote StarCraft.
    But StarCraft and Diablo II will always be on the same tier for me.

12. SDC Pred

SDC Pred IncGamers Member

Diablo 2 and Starcraft are very good games, so just let one side of a coin represent one of each and flip it to decide ^^

13. Killfrenzy

Killfrenzy IncGamers Member

i absolutely love both games

D2 is more replayable, but SC has the better storyline IMHO. I absolutely love the tragic story of the protoss and how they lost their homeworld and all. I can recall actually saluting the screen when tassadar flew into the overmind

14. Rhaegar

Rhaegar IncGamers Member

starcraft is balanced whereas diablo II is...not

15. piggiz

piggiz IncGamers Member

I second that. Starcraft is way much balanced.

16. ThereIsNoSpoon

ThereIsNoSpoon IncGamers Member

I love both games very much but diablo 2 more. What i fear is that there's a extra life game in that match (and it might be w3 but might be counter strike, unreal tourney or other strong game) and if blizzard game fans will divide votes between sc and d2 we gonna loose to that extra lifer :(

17. WackenOpenAir

SC will own d2 by far.

18. ThereIsNoSpoon

ThereIsNoSpoon IncGamers Member

What your statement has to do with my post? I'm saying there will be third game in that match and it can fry both sc and d2 if blizz fans won't unite.

19. WackenOpenAir

It is a subtle hind to vote for starcraft if you fear the thing you explained. :D

20. Dire_Wulf

Dire_Wulf IncGamers Member

Well, considering that most of my friends have left D2 to play SC...

StarCraft is just the most balanced game and provides a lot of variety even tho its a very simple game.

D2 can get very frustrating because its unpredictable at times and complicated.

I think thats where most game companies falter, in that they try to make thier games too complicated and it makes everything less fun. My vote would have to go to SC.