D2 in the Real World?

Kaysaar

Diabloii.Net Member
D2 in the Real World?

I don't post much here anymore, and I almost never start threads, but this seemed post worthy.

I was walking with my girl through Wal-mart in State College, Pennsylvania when I happened to see an employee stocking some grocery or another. Normally I wouldn't have given this a second thought, but when I looked at his name tag, it had his name listed as "Duriel". At first I thought it was a sign that I should reinstall the game, so I double checked to make sure I wasn't imagining this. After double checking, I chuckled under my breath, then figured that I might as well mention this in the good ole SPF.

This employee was too old to have been the child of a D2 fan, so unless he changed his name, it would have had to be a freak coincidence. Now I know that it's easy to take D2 experiences and tie them into real life, or think that you saw something from D2, but really didn't.

So I pose this question: Have any other SPFers ran into an example like this? Perhaps another situation from the real world that showed striking resemblance to D2?

chickenhed

Diabloii.Net Member
Kaysaar said:
I don't post much here anymore, and I almost never start threads, but this seemed post worthy.

I was walking with my girl through Wal-mart in State College, Pennsylvania when I happened to see an employee stocking some grocery or another. Normally I wouldn't have given this a second thought, but when I looked at his name tag, it had his name listed as "Duriel". At first I thought it was a sign that I should reinstall the game, so I double checked to make sure I wasn't imagining this. After double checking, I chuckled under my breath, then figured that I might as well mention this in the good ole SPF.

This employee was too old to have been the child of a D2 fan, so unless he changed his name, it would have had to be a freak coincidence. Now I know that it's easy to take D2 experiences and tie them into real life, or think that you saw something from D2, but really didn't.

So I pose this question: Have any other SPFers ran into an example like this? Perhaps another situation from the real world that showed striking resemblance to D2?
Duriel eh? hah, that would make me grin too. Closest thing that has happened to me like that is when I ran into a guy named Deckard. He was in my business management class. Though he was younger than me, I could never look at him and NOT think of deckard cain :)

Kool69

Diabloii.Net Member
next thing you know people are going to be taking pictures of their kid's birth certificates to get themselves on the front page of diabloii.net :rolleyes:

bradley_turner

Diabloii.Net Member
At the nursing home where I work, there is a nurse named Natalya, and I'm always afraid she's going to cloak of shadows and then slice me up dual wield style :) If I ever have a female child, I'm going to push for the name Natalya, because I think it's actually a pretty good name, although it doesn't really mean much... and unless she's born on christmas day, it will mean less than nothing, but oh well :lol:

Nightfish

Diabloii.Net Member
Yes, yes, all very interesting, but you leave out the most important info: What did he drop you besides the scroll of town portal?

bill_n_opus

Diabloii.Net Member
Isn't Duriel supposed to be the "Pain Worm?"

Or something like that ...

I would chuckle also for sure if I saw that. However, I haven't had a D2 moment in real life yet.

Disco-neck Ted

The Dark Library
I was in Rome a while back and snapped a picture of a big store sign that read:

MEPHISTO

It was a shoe store. No irony there. :D

SeDnA

Diabloii.Net Member
Disco-neck Ted said:

MEPHISTO

Blame me for my ignorance. I.... don't seem to get it.

Artagas

Diabloii.Net Member
Disco-neck Ted said:

MEPHISTO

That wouldn't surprise you if you have checked:
www.mephisto.com

Also, mind that it is a lot more likely scenario that they got the name from Goethe's Faust than from Diablo 2 :)
(Actually Mephisto happens to be the title of one of the most famous Hungarian movies, which won the Oscar prize 20 years ago...likely it is still not famous enough so any of you would ever hear about it:p )

And if we are looking D2 resemblances in irl...well...my ex-quantumphysics professor looks exactly like Corpsefire...

shermo

Diabloii.Net Member
ok, who went and looked up baal.com? :howdy:

"principally known as a Canaanite fertility deity" that's always good to know

DeathMaster

Diabloii.Net Member
The closest is I say someone who's name Cain.

@midnightvulture: but meph drops boots. I'd like to see what shoes on offer there. I'm interested to buy a pair of gore rider.

AjustinMyJonson

Diabloii.Net Member
Now that i think about it, my old girlfriend looked exactly like Andariel...yea that didnt last long. Nice girl though, besides the whole trying to KILL ME thing.

Disco-neck Ted said:

MEPHISTO

Not D2 related, but i was on a school trip a couple of years ago and this old petrol station had a sign saying 'Shell' on the side, but a tree had covered the 'S' so it just had a big sign ont he side of the building saying 'Hell'. Actually, that is sort of D2 related, but only slightly.
Also, a diablo clone spawned in my history class and it killed 3 of my classmates (damn minions, so weak) but since i dont play bnet i ignored it and he walked out after a while to go to the pub.

Sir Lister of Smeg

Diabloii.Net Member
I was reading something earlier today, and suddenly thought I saw the text:"three gloams", there was written however:"three gluons" upon closer examination.

Thirty-Thirty

Diabloii.Net Member
Sir Lister of Smeg said:
I was reading something earlier today, and suddenly thought I saw the text:"three gloams", there was written however:"three gluons" upon closer examination.
Not much common reading material regarding gluons. Where was that?

Derrick1001

Diabloii.Net Member
bill_n_opus said:
Isn't Duriel supposed to be the "Pain Worm?"

Or something like that ...

I would chuckle also for sure if I saw that. However, I haven't had a D2 moment in real life yet.
If you mean literally, then no. It doesn't mean that.