Latest Diablo 3 News
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

D2 in MacOS Catalina

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by maxicek, Jun 19, 2019.

1. maxicek

maxicek Moderator Single Player

At the Worldwide Developers Conference, Apple announced the upcoming release of the next version on macOS, Catalina. This OS does not support 32bit apps, so the Mac version of D2 will stop working. It has only just been seeded to developers, so there will of course be more information coming in about what works before the expected release at the end of the year.

As far as I can work out, D3 has been patched and the Mac client in now 64bit. I can’t see any word on the Blizzard forums about D2 though, unsurprisingly.

I know we have several members playing on Mac, so I suggest starting to consider / try possible solutions, assuming you want to keep playing.

Possible options:

1. Wine
    Much quicker than running in virtualisation. May be issues with 64 bit version of Wine for MacOS, I am still investigating this.

1b. Wine derivatives
    PlayOnMac
    Winebottler
    I’m not looking at these currently. These both use their own Wine installations, but are typically less well maintained than Wine.

2. Virtualisation
    VMWare Fusion / Parallels / Virtual Box (although I have seen posts VB is not currently working in pre-releases of Catalina)
    I have VMWare running Windows 7 and it is playable for PvM, but it was unplayable for PvP.
    I guess you could also install MacOS in a VM, but I haven’t tried it.

3. Bootcamp with Windows 7+
    The fastest solution, but you need to reboot to play then reboot again when you are done. Note also Windows 7 support ends in January 2020.

4. Pray Blizzard makes a 64 bit version
    Maybe we will see a D2 remastered which solves all the problems, seems unlikely though.

5. Don't upgrade to Catalina
    Waiting is not possible for everyone, but this will ensure you D2 works whilst others sort out a solution.

There is more info in the D2 and Macs thread, from about page 4 - This is essentially the same issue we had when Apple dropped Rosetta support.

I will keep this thread updated with info as I find it.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2019
    ffs likes this.
  2. helvete

helvete Diabloii.Net Member

Requesting temporary sticky.

ioupainmax likes this.
  3. maxicek

I was thinking about it, but since nobody reads the stickies... Done now.

Pb_pal, PhineasB and helvete like this.
  4. maxicek

Last edited: Jun 23, 2019
  5. Timinator

Timinator Diabloii.Net Member

Remember from January 2020 .. Windows 7 is out of support, it will run, but will be like Windows XP and you wont want to have it on the internet ..

6. maxicek

Another update on Wine (link to source)

2.6 Is there a 64 bit Wine?
    Yes. 64 bit Wine has been available on Linux since 1.2. WineHQ binary packages are available for 64 bit, and most major distros package it for users. Normally, installation should be as simple as installing the Wine package for your distribution through your package manager. Check the Download page. If you are building Wine from source, see Building Wine for instructions on how to build 32 bit Wine on a 64 bit system and instructions on how to build 64 bit Wine in a shared WoW64 setup.

A few things to note:
    • 32 bit Wine runs on both 32-bit and 64-bit Linux/Unix installations. 16-bit and 32-bit Windows applications will run on it.
    • 64-bit Wine runs only on 64 bit installations, and so far has only been extensively tested on Linux. It requires the installation of 32 bit libraries in order to run 32 bit Windows applications. Both 32-bit and 64-bit Windows applications (should) work with it; however, there are still many bugs.
    • Current Wine includes support for 64 bit Wine on Mac OS X; however, this has not been tested very much, and some applications may never work due to an ABI incompatibility between Win64 and OS X.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2019
  7. maxicek

From what I can work out, Wine may be available as 64 bit, but when a 32 bit application is run the Mac support needed to run it will not be available. People seem to be working on this, but no news yet, it is early days.

I’m de-sticking this now, I will bump it with new info as I get it.

8. intersilva

intersilva Diabloii.Net Member

Well, guess it's time to back up my saves/stashes and start crying. Although, this isn't the first time I thought D2 might be lost to me forever...

9. maxicek

It is not all bad news yet - There are plenty of solutions that will work.

Remember this isn’t just limited to D2, it will affect many older games, so there are lots of people looking at it.