Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

D2 Crashes

Discussion in 'Hardcore' started by NightShade, Apr 4, 2004.

1. NightShade

NightShade IncGamers Member

D2 Crashes

Gah. Lost a 57 sorc, game crashed siting some exception in game data or something.

It's been crashing every so often all damn day, some times giving me a blue screen and booting me outta the game, and out of my desktop. When I return it says the data had to be recovered...

Other crap and what not. Quite pissed. Losing a character to a glitch is pissing me off....Sovm, +2 orb, mahim oak, some other replaceable crap....Grrrrrr.

Anyone know what's up with that? My computer has a long history of crashes.

2. BaNiSeR

BaNiSeR IncGamers Member

hmm, im having a slightly similar problem with ONLY d2...every so often the game up and freezes, COMPLETELY locks up my system and i nead to hard reboot...for the life of me i cant figure out why and even changing vid modes did nothing :(

3. MoUsE_WiZ

MoUsE_WiZ IncGamers Member

Meh, I've been playing with that happening for ages.
    80 "mf" sorc to a poorly timed crash coinciding with being mana burnt at meph.
    48 necro died in the NM sewers with only one skeleton on the screen when I crashed.
    68 necro died at the gates to the chaos sanc, only minutes away from getting my first King ever >_<

It happens, it's annoying, but if it keeps up you may have to learn to live with it.

4. maccool

maccool IncGamers Member

I've been having the same issue. I reckon it's either 1) my videocard thingie getting too hot and going tits up or 2) something with the music thingie I use to play rockin' cuts while running around in the game.

I'd much rather die to my own drunken antics than a lame-o computer thingie. Booo...urns

5. NeoSolidSnake

NeoSolidSnake IncGamers Member

Hrrrmmm

That used to happen to me as well, but then again, I am using Windows XP now, and was using Windows 2000SE back then, if I recall correctly.

Anyways, back then, I changed to windowed mode for D2 and it crashed ALOT less, as well, I often deleted a file named 'bncache' in the Diablo 2 folder, which used to get corrupted faster then you can say.....err... i can not think of anything clever right now :drool:

Not sure why completely but I hope that helped...

6. Cleglaw_Himself

Cleglaw_Himself IncGamers Member

On my new computer running XP, it has happened a couple of times.

I hear the faint bling of an exception error in the background as my computer freezes.

As soon as the bling sound registers, I press enter, which closes the box and closes D2. Seems to save me.

I have no idea why it happens, but it seems to happen a lot when I log onto a non-ladder char.

7. Christopher Sin

Christopher Sin IncGamers Member

Put this in your shortcut path for Diablo 2:

-nonotify

It will look like this: "C:\Program Files\Diablo II\Diablo II.exe" -nonotify

This disables the "EXEPTION" box that pops up when D2 recieves an error. Instead Diablo 2 will exit straight to desktop. It's a lifesaver for hardcore. :thumbsup:

8. Mr.Bogohossian

Mr.Bogohossian Banned

exception error pops up sometimes due to drop hack, i know i have seen those exist because my char was repeatdly dropped in one game, as soon as i enter....

9. MoUsE_WiZ

MoUsE_WiZ IncGamers Member

That doesn't work.
    It's there and didn't stop any of the 3 above described deaths, or a few close calls on others.

10. Christopher Sin

Christopher Sin IncGamers Member

That command disables the notification boxes generated by Diablo 2. If notifications continue to pop up, then something else is wrong.

11. SonOfRah

SonOfRah IncGamers Member

-nonotify has never worked with all the different versions of the d2 clients from my experiences. There apparently is another one (also doesn't work) that ignores the errors but doesn't close the game.

However it does work if you are using the d2loader. d2loader included some additional command line variables which enabled access to some switches not otherwise accesably by the game client directly.

I do believe that those switches are used with the testing version of the client (ie has developer cheat commands etc activated). They still are in the game, but are disabled via hard code.

12. Cleglaw_Himself

Cleglaw_Himself IncGamers Member

Yes, -nonotify has never worked for me.

I still have to press enter the instant my game freezes and I hear the exception error.

13. GrnEggsNHam

GrnEggsNHam IncGamers Member

like Rah said -nonotify only works if you are useing D2loader to run your game...

Now about the crashing and what not that used to happen on my old computer all the time. What I did that fixed it:
    1. Took out my Diablo: LOD cd and had a quick look only to find it had been getting scratched from spinning up so much in my cd-rom drive
    2. Looked at my classic cd's which I had used to install and noticed they too were scratched to hell
    3. Downloaded the D2 .iso and LOD .iso and installed with those via daemon tools
    4. Ran the game via daemon tools and the LOD .iso
    5. The game has never crashed since giveing that stupid corrupted game data error

I applied this nearly 2 years ago and installed the same way on my new computer and it hasn't ever got the errors again either. So most likely it is a bad install of the game which causes this.

14. NeoSolidSnake

NeoSolidSnake IncGamers Member

Im using D-Tools as well(Thanks rah! :D ) and it is alot better, no more 5 second freezing from the disc loading up...

Oh and most people play in full screen mode i presume?

15. det

det IncGamers Member

Well, I always found D2 to be THE one game that runs on all my different PC's without any problems at all.

So some of the trouble above sound like you are in dire need of either /format C: or W98, maybe. Perhaps some components are getting really too old? Then again, it runs stable on an Athlon 1000 here, with an ancient Geforce2 card.

16. hashmalum2

hashmalum2 Banned

OMG You have lost SO MUCH .... god who cares about your level 57 sorc i have lost my lvl 90 paly last night thanks to some BS amp'd blowup dolls. bye 3 months.

17. sonikki_

sonikki_ IncGamers Member

i started playing in window just to avoid these kind of problems. later i found out that my RAM was busted and thats why i kept getting errors :) funny thing was, sometimes i ALWAYS crashed when i saw a paladin with a certain aura (prolly was fana). New RAM & New HD & couple of reinstalls later it works fine ^^

18. SonOfRah

SonOfRah IncGamers Member

Was that REALLY appropriate?? I mean...come on. If you think its appropriate then who the hell cares that you lost your sorc? In all honesty I don't care if people who come out like you did do loose their chars. roll over and die please.

Seriously....being amped and standing next to a doll is called suicidal. Loosing chars to a game crash which is entirely out of your control as a player, is completely different than an in game death where you can leave or juve or run away.

just a FYI so take it to heart, not to your head.

EDIT: Spelling.

19. Shadoway

Shadoway IncGamers Member

The reason is:

1) Blizzard gave you a new patch full of bugs because you did not pay extra cash for it. It never happened to me when I play any other game. And it consistently freezes up on Win98 system and auto reboots on Win2000. BTW, that's just 1.10; it never happened in 1.09.

2) Microsoft sold you a operating system full of bugs. Theorectically, no matter how poorly Blizzard writes its code, a good system should not reboot without its master's permission.

20. hc_ugajeremy

hc_ugajeremy IncGamers Member

The auto reboot can be disabled in Win2k. In startup and recovery in "system" under the Control Panel.

Most of the crashes are due to sound and video driver conflicts. Usually it's Nvidia cards. Update the drivers or google a set of drivers that are known to work. In win2k I had to revert to an older package of Nvidia drivers.

That may help.