Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Cytomegalovirus

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Amra, Sep 13, 2006.

1. Amra

Amra IncGamers Member

Cytomegalovirus

I give blood on a fairly regular basis. Maybe not as often as I could but close enough I suppose. The Red Cross calls me often as they did today. As this very nice lady is telling me how desperate they are she says "zomg! You're CMV negative!"

:scratch:

Ok, she didn't quite say the omg part but still she was quite excited. To make a boring story short, I didn't know what CMV is. Apparently it's a virus that the majority of people have.

Linky.

Anyhoo, given my blood type and negative CMV, my blood is in very high demand. Blood such as mine would is given to people who have blood-related illnesses, transplant patients, cancer and such. Not to someone who say cut their foot off with an axe.

I just thought it was interesting and that I learned something today.

Did I mention I have awesome veins?

2. alexzed

alexzed IncGamers Member

I made the mistake of living in England for a year or so, and now can't donate blood due to the one in a billion chance that I have contracted Creutzfeldt-Jakob Disease. I told them to take a brain sample - it wouldn't make a difference...:grin:

But now...I can't donate blood either... booo.

3. MadMachine

MadMachine IncGamers Member

I had a friend who was in a similar situation. Don't quite remember what his blood type was, but they kept his contact information so that they could contact him when they needed the blood 'fresh from the vein', I guess.

4. caddad

caddad IncGamers Member

I'm also negative, and give platelets 2-3 times a month, also have 99% percentile platelet count so I'm a double donor most times. /flex

Fight the good fight where I can.

-D2netDad

5. HockeyChic

HockeyChic Banned

I am CMV and Epstein Barr positive. I was lucky enough to contract both at the same time when I was quite young. The first 13 months, which if I remember correctly is also the contagious period, was really the worst. Now, other than testing positive, it doesn't affect me that I notice. I'm O+ and would love to donate, but to be honest I'm not certain they would accept my blood.

6. HockeyChic

HockeyChic Banned

I am CMV and Epstein Barr positive. I was lucky *sarcasm* enough to contract both at the same time when I was quite young. The first 13 months, which if I remember correctly is also the contagious period, was really the worst. Now, other than testing positive, it doesn't affect me that I notice. I'm O+ and would love to donate, but to be honest I'm not certain they would accept my blood.

7. PatMaGroin

PatMaGroin IncGamers Member

I do have some pretty badass veins myself.

8. HockeyChic

HockeyChic Banned

I have excellent veins, just not excellent blood.

9. Amra

Amra IncGamers Member

I have no clue what my platelet count is. I wonder if the Red Cross has that on file.

I demand a taste!

10. HockeyChic

HockeyChic Banned

Shall I offer my wrist or did you have something different in mind?

11. Amra

Amra IncGamers Member

I'd hate for you to have a public scar.

12. HockeyChic

HockeyChic Banned

That would be dreadful.
    On a serious note-
    I think I will check into whether or not the Red Cross will accept mine. My blood type is pretty popular since it can mix with A+, B+, and AB+ types. My grandfather had O-. He was on a national donation list. If they needed his blood they were even willing to fly him onsite for it. Kinda cool.

13. caddad

caddad IncGamers Member

Platelet count is really only important for Apheresis donations.

My count usually hovers around 300K.

Whole blood donations, they really just make sure your hematocrit is high enough to give.

I'm also O+

-D2netDad

14. Raistlin Majere

Raistlin Majere IncGamers Member

I'm one of those poor souls they chase around with needles.

I'm AB-

Clean I might add. I remember being tested negative for this, but never understood its purpose.

15. zodiac66

zodiac66 IncGamers Member

I have clean O+ blood.

That is scary..80% of the poplation has that?

16. Dawnmaster

Dawnmaster IncGamers Member

I find it pretty unfair that one donates blood for free, and when you're in an accident, bleeding to dead and need a transfusion badly, you need to pay to receive blood...

(I used to donate plasma for half a year, every week, and now, thanks to the wonderfull nurses, the veines in my left arm are half smashed/scarred/jammed.)

17. {KOW}Spazed

{KOW}Spazed Banned

My dad used to donate blood all the time(he has several mugs to prove it too) until they called him one day and said he had Hepatitis C. He can't donate now even though he has tested negative for it several times from 3 different labs.

I don't think they would let me donate, I gave two pints(1 pint at a time) before my jaw surgery. I was pretty messed up for a day or two both times, very dizzy and light headed. The told me I have good blood though, high hemoglobin and platelets.

My mom is a nurse and her favorite thing in the world is to give people shots. She even gets asked to start IVs on new born babies. Anyway, she always says I have great veins and pokes at them. I think it's just because I don't have a lot of fat covering it all up.

18. HockeyChic

HockeyChic Banned

It really isn't as awful as it sounds. It had the nickname "Chronic Mono" when I first had it. It makes you feel exhausted. I could sleep for 12-15 hours at night, get up and go back to bed after being up for only 4 hours to take nap. It was crazy. The good thing (if you can be considered good) is that even though I passed it to my kids during pregnancy, they never have to go through the first stages like I did. Most people don't even know they have it until they are tested specifically for it.

19. Dondrei

Dondrei IncGamers Member

Is that the virus that causes you to get coldsores throughout your life or is that a different herpes virus?

What exactly constitutes a "good" vein?

I still don't know what my blood type is.

20. zodiac66

zodiac66 IncGamers Member

I am not passing judgement on anyone who has it. I would guess this may be something that could be passed on from a toilet seat. Gogo for squating.

I have always been a tad germaphobic. I will never exit a public bathroom without something covering my hands. There are too many people out there who are lax in their personal hygene. Yes, when exiting a bathroom, I grab a paper towel to open the door.