Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Cutting your own hair.

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by stillman, Jul 5, 2010.

1. stillman

stillman IncGamers Member

Cutting your own hair.

Hi everyone. What a horrible many shifts I am having at work, which I stupidly agreed to. I wrote up horoscopes for everyone on OT, but they are really nasty, so I thought better of it, and I am instead posting how I cut my own hair. See, time at home is so very precious that I tried cutting my own hair to enjoy more time at home, as going to hairdressers would waste valuable minutes.

But there are even better reasons. 10 years ago out in the countryside, it only cost $9 to get a haircut. Now, in the city, it costs tripple that: $27. We are being gouged. Screw that.

Plus, it's nice to tip, so we're talking over $30 for an 8 minute men's haircut, nothing special. Who do they think they are, surgeons?

So you can easily look up how to cut your own hair online. All you need is a good sized mirror that you can set up behind your bathroom mirror so you can see what you're doing in the back. And you know what kind of scissors you can use? Cheap ones you get at the dollar store. You don't need $150 pro ones. While you're there (at the dollar store) buy a cheap comb. You're set.

So all I did was wet my hair, brush it, and cut away fearlessly. It is very hard to learn how to manouver the scissors in left-right reversed mirror view, so I got really impatient. I discovered I can simply brush almost all of my hair frontwards so it draps over my face. Then, just cut it in a simple curved pattern like you are cutting out a mask of your face. Once you brush it all back again, it looks great. The back is a bit harder, but I don't care. What kind of people look at the back of your neck anyway? The sides are a breeze, then you shave there anyway, so you can make it as even and perfect as you want. Easy.

I'm amazed at how little skill this took. In fact, I think it is a crime what hairdressers are charging.

I might post the horoscopes tomorrow because work tonight is going to suck pretty bad, but I will try not to post them!

2. Jedouard

Jedouard IncGamers Member

Re: Cutting your own hair.

I actually cut my own hair, but I cheat: I use a flowbee and a buzzer for my neck. Flowbees are actually pretty cheap (approx. $50 if you price shop). It hooks right on your vacuum. And, because it works on a vacuum, you can cut your hair at longer lengths than just a regular buzzer.

When it comes to the back of your neck, there is an easy trick. Take your finger or a peace of tape and simply cover the area you do not want shaved. Then buzz right up to your finger or the tape.

I cut my hair once a month this way and it looks as though I went to a barber shop.

3. TheOgreMan

TheOgreMan IncGamers Member

Mine is even easier. I bought a cheap clipper set at Wal-Mart (about $25) that comes with all the guards and a precision trimmer. I put guard #2 on it and shave all over. Then I get my ex-girlfriend to shape up the sides and back, but I do my own sideburns. I've been doing this for over 2 years now and, although I've gone through 2 sets of clippers, I've probably saved over $200.

4. krischan

krischan Europe Trade Moderator

Do you have an idea how much rent you have to pay for a business in a city? We talk about a couple of thousands of $/€ per month for let's say 10mx10m at ground level. On the countryside, the barber probably has his own house and has to pay nothing but upkeep.

5. TurbulentTurtle

TurbulentTurtle IncGamers Member

I dyed my hair from black to white.
    Well, as white as it can get.

First, this is how my hair used to look like:

[​IMG]

So I've been dyeing my hair in the past before but I decided to stop that, so the last few years I had my pure natural Asian black hair. I promised myself not to dye it anymore unless it's going to be white. Well, somehow I got bored and started this project.

I ordered 3 bleaches and 1 extra blond toner on a whim.
    While I ordered the stuff on a whim, I didn't decide to use it right away. Last weekend though, I decided to do it. I planned to bleach once, wait a week or 2 so my hair restores a bit and repeat for 2 more times.

What really happened is that I bleached it and it looked like bronze-ish orange. Clown orange. When I walked out of the shower and saw it for the first time I laughed at myself. I did this on a Saturday, and had some important stuff to do on Monday, interviews and what not.

I decided I'll just follow my plan (of letting my hair restore after each session) and went to sleep on that Saturday.

Sunday I woke up and looked at the mirror and I simply just changed my mind. So I threw in the 2nd bleach. It stung a bit compared to the first bleach attempt. When I washed it off it looked like it was yellow-ish orange. What's with the orange!? My hair felt very very dry and brass without conditioners but I didn't want to leave it at that, so instead of using all my bleaches I went and used the extra blond toner.
    After that (painfully stingy!) session it was mostly yellow. Some parts are lighter and some parts still had a hint of orange. I actually looked like a Super Saiyan* so I decided to keep that for a bit.
    I went to the interview and explained to the people about what I was doing, and they seemed to understand, and actually found it fairly interesting.

So on Tuesday, I just decided to wrap it up since I can't stand having unfinished goals. So I went to a professional stylist and two very friendly ladies helped me out. I said I wanted white and we tried to work out a solution. While it's kind of impossible to really get white, my first priority was to get rid of the yellow.

So they bleached it one more time, but this was much more professional than how you do it with a home product. They do it carefully layer by layer. I sat there for an hour and the last few minutes started to sting a bit but I was used to that. Washed it off and there was only a slight hint of yellow left, amazing! (Normally you can't get all the colors away with just bleach).

So there was no white solution and we went for an ash color.
    IT HURTS LIKE HELL. From the moment it was put on 'till the end. I've had broken bones, torn muscles and whatnot, this is definitely up there with one of the most painful moments in my life (not including emotional pain, I is not emo).

Good thing they cover you up when they work on your hair. So under that blanket thingy I pinched on my skin as hard as I could, because I remembered a quote from a Jim Carrey interview about the Grinch that the suit hurts so much that he had to learn from someone to hit on his leg, because localized pain makes the overall pain more bearable. It worked for a bit, but I don't want to ever go through that again.

That said, when it has been washed off it looked quite interesting. Then my hair was blown dry and I loved it! (It's darker when wet)

It's not exactly white but as a pure black hair Asian guy, I think this is a hair color I can be proud of (in an achievement kind of sense, taste of whether it's actually good depends from person to person, but I like it personally):

[​IMG]

Thanks for reading my story, I hope you enjoyed it and I'm sorry for wasting your time, I just felt like sharing since this is a hair related topic and what not.

6. SnickerSnack

SnickerSnack IncGamers Member

My hair related thing: I shaved my head about two weeks ago. It's great, and it was free (since I borrowed the clippers).

7. Tanooki

Tanooki IncGamers Member

I'm not cutting my hair until I can pull it back into a pony tail. Then I'll evaluate it and decide if I'll continue not cutting it or cut it off.

8. BobCox2

BobCox2 IncGamers Member

I'm saving so much money and wasting a bit of time and effort caring for it but have a 12+ inch ponytail working.
    Longest it's ever been.

I'm telling people I'm a Seki

You can't pay me to cut it but I might donate it if asked right.

9. Leopold Stotch

Leopold Stotch IncGamers Member

i like long hair on guys. makes me happy. :cloud9:

Turb, your hair looks great! ^_^

can't really style my hair as it is hella curly and kinky so i jsut keep it one length. Mara FINALLY trimmed it after.... dude, i can't even remember my last haircut before this one. hair looks better. and it's a bit easier to manage. still long and still trying to go for my goal: end of my back/top of my derriere.

10. stillman

Wow, is that THE TurbulentTurtle? In the flesh? It's not everyday you get to see a celebrity!

Tbh, there are even more good reasons (other than being a cheapskate with student loans) to cut my own hair. I happen to be cursed with half a dozen hair problems, and the hairdresser sometimes points these problems out (like I don't know about them) and even makes a sly (rude) comment. Half a dozen hair problems is no exaggeration; here is the list.

1-Seborrhoeic dermatitis. This is a fairly common condition where I cannot fight off fungus in my scalp like most other people, so the fungus munches away causing itching, redness, elevated skin, and scaly dandruff stuff until you kill the fungus as I am doing now using products.

2-Male pattern baldness. Dihydrotestosterone combined with poor hair genetics has made me lose a bit of hair in the front (receding hairline), but thankfully, not off the top, and it's not too badly noticeable as long as I don't get a clipper cut. I've got to keep most of my receding hair! So I sure don't want to pay $30 for a trim every so often. If I'm shelling out a ridiculous $30 for an 8 minute service, it should be a lot of hair that comes off, which will make me look like I have even less than the full head of hair. So you can see the dilemma. Shouldn't they charge less for people with less hair?

I'll bet this is probably from genetic bottlenecking long ago, given the number of men with this problem. Stupid human race can't keep it's numbers up. But I suppose I should be thankful to the one guy with bad hair genes in the population of dwindling humans, the one guy who banged half the women alive on Earth sprouting forth future millions of men with hair loss just like HE had. [This is all hyperbole; please do not go nerdy on me with the real story]

3-Double crown. This is considered bad by hairdressers because “Oh, that must stick up in the morning, snicker snicker.” But it is all good, you see. A double crown means MORE HAIR. See number 2 above. More hair is a blessing when you are Of The Doomed like myself.

4-Widow's peak. Some people don't like these. But hey, hair is hair. If I didn't have my widow's peak, I would look like Shakespeare.

5-Thin hair. It's a little flat and staticy. But what do I care? It's mostly all going to fall out when I'm older anyway.

6-Skull not shaped perfectly. Good thing I will always have lots of hair covering it. Oh wait...

So I'm tired of going to the hairdresser and paying her for insults. Then, she probably assumes that I feel humiliated and want to get out of there fast, so she gives me the world's fastest haircut. These people think hair is important or something, so the above hair problems are like, omg! What a disaster! Don't let the homo police see! Ofc, I let her get me out of there fast becasue I do not like the way those guys are staring at me. You know, those guys on the posters? Anyway, the whole experience feels like a ripoff.

Then, there is some jock or something next to me getting his perfect stylish hair cut and his hair already looks like it was cut freaking yesterday! What a sucker. I mean, imo, he needs no cut because no one is going to notice. Or, there is an old geezer with moles popping out of his head, the girl is trimming his ear hair, and I am wondering why they complain about my hair problems.

Anyway, I am lucky that hair is the only genetic problem in my family, so it seems. No cancer in the family, no behavior, vision, or medical problems, lots of super powers; I am probably a result of Nazi eugenics experiments...except for the hair because, well, don't they shave your head in WW2 anyway? [Hyperbole, again]

Anyway, feel free to rant about your hair...and hair problems!

11. Tanooki

Tanooki IncGamers Member

I would trade my full head of hair for perfect vision.

Of course, you could get plugs, and I could get surgery...

12. Leopold Stotch

if i could tame the frizz. the dreadlocks are simple. when it starts to dreadlock, it means i must wash my hair. frizz, on the other hand....

wait. i could always move up north. but then i'd be in Yankee land... argh.

anyways, Stillman, do you use Head & Shoulders or Celsun Blue? that is what i use because we have eczema in my family and i think it started to get in my scalp a few years back and it helps my hair and scalp SO MUCH. i used Suave recently and it made it WAY more curlier, a bit oily, and my head itched. Herbal Esscence sucks! could not use that when i was little and i don't think i can use it now. that stuff makes my head itch like insanity!

13. TurbulentTurtle

The best part about having white hair is that nobody can notice the dandruff.

14. TheOgreMan

TheOgreMan IncGamers Member

I know how you feel. I have a double crown and more cowlicks than you can shake a stick at...including one right in the front on the hairline. I suppose I'm a little luckier than you in one respect: my hair itself is perfect. Back when I did grow my hair out some every single barber/hairstylist commented on how great my hair is as far as texture, thickness, softness, etc. I'd have the ultimate, perfect head of hair if it just grew in the correct directions.

15. stillman

I do indeed use Head & Shoulders. It has pyrithione zinc as the ingredient that kills fungus. What a huge difference it has made. No more itch. Whenever I take a bath, I leave the hair lathered in the stuff for several minutes (as directed on the bottle) where 'several' for me means 15 minutes. Then, I barely rinse the stuff out at all, simply running hands through it underwater once for less than a second. Just the thought of a spreading fungus extending hyphae throughout my sebaceous glands of the scalp is disgusting. All these years I thought it was poriasis, dry scalp, or something purely genetic. Wikipedia is truely a friend.

Wiki says Tea Tree oil diuted to 5% (IIRC) is even better at killing fungus. I never heard of Celsun Blue, but there is a shampoo called In Vivo that has tea tree oil. As it turns out though, there are a few different causes of scalp problems, so the ideal is to see a doctor and get the true story. There are all kinds of even more powerful treatments. But Wiki is nice too!

16. Luckymofo

Luckymofo IncGamers Member

Hi Sephiroth's little brother, sorry to hear about Sephy, but if it makes you feel better, I'm not one of millions who beat your brother up, I just got to the last dungeon and moved on to a different game.

17. Leopold Stotch

hahaha, awesome! Head and Shoulders is great. idk about my sister, but i think my little brother was using it for a while and still does. and i misspelled Selsun. i was talking about this stuff:

[​IMG]

lol, yes, it's a funny pic, but the product is real. their motto is something like, "Wear black with the blue" or something... it's anti-dandruff shampoo. :) ad i did not know that about tea-tree oil. might have to test that out one day. thanks! :D

18. Darkflight

Darkflight IncGamers Member

I just take my electric hair cutter out occasionally and set it to 3 mm and go to town on my head.

It's easy and it feels great.

19. TurbulentTurtle

Coping with male pattern baldness.

20. jmervyn

jmervyn IncGamers Member

I'm pleased that the OTF has returned to its... roots.

I don't cut my own hair, but I've bullied my wife into doing so. She does a fine job, despite being pissed at having to do so - in exchange, I dye hers. I do my son's as well, though he's a fraidy-cat because one of those "stylists" drew blood from him when he was younger.

Regardless, even the cheapest Wal-Mart stylist isn't worth the $15 for something you can do yourself; it's not like they expect you to be a repeat customer since they're usually trying to get a better job themselves. Once in a blue moon you'll find an old-fashioned barber shop that charges reasonable prices ($10 or so), but they're becoming rarer and rarer since I expect it means the barber owns his own shop and has no mortgage/rent/association fee.

I'll have a full head of too-curly, thick hair until the day I die. The kind that women get aroused by and love to run their fingers through, but then say they want on their head instead of mine. If I let it grow, I look like I'm wearing a victory wreath; longer still and I look like Medusa's cousin.