Latest Diablo 3 News
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Custom Realms

Discussion in 'Diablo 2 Community Forum' started by Fyni, Apr 12, 2005.

1. Fyni

Fyni Diabloii.Net Member

Custom Realms

Are there any LOD 1.09 or Classic 1.09 realms out there i can play on?

2. mhl12

mhl12 Diabloii.Net Member

all of blizz's severs are for 1.10

there are 3rd party realms that ppl use but im not very familiar with them. Also, im not sure if its allowed in these forums or not.

3. Origin

Origin Diabloii.Net Member

wow.. a realm with only dii.net people would rock.

4. Gorny

Gorny Banned

oOH Elly...can we make one like that !?

5. Gaza0469

Gaza0469 Diabloii.Net Member

yeah, I dont c any problems with making your own realm.

Blizz dont get any money from u playing on battlenet, in fact it would save them money as you wouldnt be using there resources, so no doubt they would rather that.

After all u can play D2 on a lan and thats legit.

a rpgforums realm :) :: that would be very cool indeed! ::

cool new avatar b.t.w Aragorn!

6. Diab

Diab Diabloii.Net Member

I play on a "custom" 1.10 PvP realm, hosted by someone other than Blizzard. No third-party programs are required. All you need to do is add the custom server's gateway to the gateway list, and in some cases, download a modified patch_d2.mpq (used for modification of gameplay, such as WPs in special places like Catacombs Level 3 or Duriel's Chamber).

The mod that I play makes it much easier to get exp, and to find good items. Also added are some cube recipes to get items easier. Since it's a PvP realm, not much emphasis is put into PvM. Hopefully soon, we'll have a 1.09 realm there as well, once the mod for that has been finished.

I believe it may be illegal, though, especially looking at what happened with BnetD: http://www.eff.org/IP/Emulation/Blizzard_v_bnetd/

It would be very nice to see something like that hosted by these forums. The people that play with me on the server that I play on, are very immature. :(

7. RebirthOfMak

RebirthOfMak Diabloii.Net Member

You gots a problem... theres a rpgforums.COM we would have to make the server rpgforum.NET

Mak~

8. Gorny

Gorny Banned

A good idea would be to designate a channel fo users of these forums to get hang out in.

9. djIgneo

djIgneo Diabloii.Net Member

Yeah, that'd be a fantastic idea. We should make a rpgforums.net battlenet chat channel.

10. Diab

Diab Diabloii.Net Member

We used to have one a long time ago, back in .09. It was "op diinet". It was a really great place to meet and chat with people, and to start cow runs. It's too bad that as more and more of the forum regulars started quitting, the channel became more and more empty. That, and 1.10 came out, so there wasn't much cowing going on anymore. It would be awesome to see that channel resurrected.

Trivia bot anyone?

11. Spawn of God

Spawn of God Diabloii.Net Member

pretty good idea, espiecially the trivia bot. the problem is that every time u exit a game u go to that private lil area, and so ppl would prolly get tired of rejoining the channel after every game

12. djIgneo

djIgneo Diabloii.Net Member

Word. Although if there was forum people in there I'd probably spend my lazy time there.

Too bad blizzard didn't think of letting you pick a default battle.net chat channel.

13. TheJarulf

TheJarulf Banned

If you actually read the page, you would notice that the case is still in progress since it was appealed. I asked as recent as a week ago for a date, but there was still not one set by the court.

As for the "legalness" or not, it would depend on country and circumstances I would say. The main points that has remained in the case above from what I can see (after Blizzard initially basically tossing out about every reason and possibity availabel only to have to take many back) was the issue of the EULA and/or ToS. This offers several possibilities even if they DO get turned down by court. Two options I see in that case. 1) Have someone NOT having the game set up and run the servers. 2) Move the project (or start a new one) in a country with a bit more sensfull laws. I would say that for example most of Europe have laws that specifically allow for what the bnetd project did (we are talking about the interoperability of programs and to study a program for that purpose) and this can not be disallowed though any contract since the copyright law forbid such contracts. There are probably many other ways to do/handle it though.

14. Omikron8

Omikron8 Diabloii.Net Member

Hello people, BnetD ANYONE!?

Does anyone remember how blizzard totally went rambo style and destroyed this fun attempt at an alternative environment for players that were fed up with cheating?

Blizzard absolutely does not like people running their own online servers for blizzard games

15. TheJarulf

TheJarulf Banned

No they don't. That doesn't mean it is not OK to do so, especially not depending on what country you live in as I mentioned above.

The main think that triggered Blizzard in that case, in my opinion, was that since the bnetd project was opens source, some other people took and modified the code so that it also ran the, still in beta, WC3, allowing basically anyone to play the beta back then.