Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Cursed Items

Discussion in 'Diablo 3 General Discussion' started by Swiffer, Jun 30, 2008.

1. Swiffer

Swiffer IncGamers Member

Cursed Items

Yeah, i know, its highly unlikely that these will return, but god damnit, some of the best fun i had in Diablo 1 was playing a Beyond Naked Mage :D

And it stands to reason the legions of hell might possess some items that have been cursed by the Prime Evils and are dangerous in the hands of mortals.

Note: For those that do not know, the Beyond Naked Mage (BNM) was a varient playstyle from the original diablo. It imposed the restriction that (with, i think, 1 or 2 exceptions) you could not equip any item that had a beneficial magical effect. The only items you could wear were cursed items. Believe it or not, one or two people actually managed to kill Diablo on Hell difficulty like this. Took awhile, but they did it :D

Here are a couple of screenshots

2. Soylentred

Soylentred IncGamers Member

Re: Cursed Items

Very funny.
    I think the only thing we have close now is if you equip anything with the malice runeword your life is draining while you aren't paying attention.

3. voraginous

voraginous IncGamers Member

Maybe give big unique items big drawbacks as well? Might be a way to bring curses back into the mix.

4. jamesisbest

jamesisbest IncGamers Member

Well as long as they don't do - stats on them it would be a lot of fun. When diablo 2 had - stats on items people exploited them for infinite skills glitch. With sorcs allof blood moor was covered in meteor flames that instantly killed people. Or if they change it so that nobody can have a stat below 1 even if -stats would theoretically allow it that would work also.

5. Urzuxo

Urzuxo IncGamers Member

I like this idea but I don't think it would work out. First of all players would probably be very hesitant to equip something that has drawbacks and secondly I fear for this leading to a balancing nightmare. Because if there were small gains and small drawbacks they wouldn't be attractive and nobody would use them, but if there were large gains and large drawbacks it just becomes a balancing nightmare.

Like I said I like the concepts for this idea and it could be possible to implement something like this in the game. BUT introducing cursed (or "semicursed") items also opens up a whole new dimension to the game. It wouldn't feel awesome to just get the tip of the iceberg by introducing cursed items because players might would want more like: cursed skills, alternate cursed quests etc.

This idea would be more fitting in a Star Wars game were the balance/struggle between the Dark and Light side is what the whole universe is based on.

6. jamesisbest

jamesisbest IncGamers Member

I think having a few curse items as a joke would be really nice. There would definitely be some players that would use them for the extra challenge and/or bragging rights.

7. Gamekk

Gamekk IncGamers Member

We probably won't see this happen in Diablo 3 because the content won't be as limited as in Diablo 1 : people need to be bored to play a BNM.

I've also heard of HC naked mages, don't you think it's a bit harder? What about, BNHCM? To me, it just sounds like a pain to play :D But everyone choose his playstyle...

8. Urzuxo

Urzuxo IncGamers Member

Haha maybe. Hey those legendary boots with no magic stats, "Crudest of boots" was really funny. Maybe this would be a positive thing if implemented but as long as it's JUST a few items, litterally under 10.

9. SallePleyel

SallePleyel IncGamers Member

I love this idea and started a thread on it a while back. To me, it doubles the number of items in the game. Rather than range from useful (1) to incredible (10), items can range from horrendous (-10) to incredible (10). It would make for interesting decisions, having to accept a bad modifier in order to accept some good ones. Balance would be hard, it's true, but Blizzard does balance. They did it in Diablo 1.

10. Urzuxo

Urzuxo IncGamers Member

The more I think of it the more possible it seems to get (aside from the thing I wrote about the tip of the iceberg a few posts up). As long as the best items AREN'T cursed, the whole "both bad and good properties in magic items" would probably work. Imo there won't hardly be any balancing issues here as long as these items aren't the best, i.e. they don't provide the most HP bonus for example when compared to legendary items. Does anybody get me? This is a little hard for me to explain.

11. wickStick

wickStick IncGamers Member

It is a balancing act--and implementing this awesome idea which would add an extra layer to item selection would probably take too long to develop--especially since so far we have yet to see them in the beta. I would prefer to keep them out then have them add them in as an afterthought and be poorly designed.

I think all items should have potential negative and positive modifiers. However, say, make the relationship between the negative and positive effects somewhat nonlinear (i.e. not -5 mana but +5 to life, make it -5 to mana +10 to life) or something along those lines. That is the hard part though--what is the proper relationship to make players make hard decisions in item choices rather than either A: always picking up cursed items because they are overpowered or B: always overlooking them because they are not worth it.

Kind of like a temporal discounting task....What is the indifference point?

12. Urzuxo

Urzuxo IncGamers Member

Yeah I get you. But I have a feeling we probably won't see this in D3. I think the devs are happy with how the item system works as of now. And if you count in that whole "accessible" thing, this has an even less chance of even being considered by the devs.

This idea might be cool to add some depth but it isn't necessary to make the game enjoyable, so I won't be losing any sleep because of this.

13. galzohar

galzohar IncGamers Member

The biggest problem with cursed items is very simple:

If they just have +some stats and -some other stats, then what will truly matter is the overall total gain, mostly in terms of damage/second and survivability. If they add some better stat bonuses at the cost of some unique negative effect or even gave a unique benefit, then it could be more interesting, but that would mean they need to come up with even more interesting affixes, and we already know they're kinda short on those anyway...