Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Curious Build: The Skelementalist

Discussion in 'Necromancer' started by jdoane87, May 18, 2005.

1. jdoane87

jdoane87 IncGamers Member

Curious Build: The Skelementalist

Skills:
    20-Posion Dagger
    20-Posion Explosion
    20-Posion Nova
    20-Skeletal Mages
    20-Skeletal Mastery
    1-Lower Resist

Seems like would be a wonderful build to take on hell with 0 immunes and crowd control, just seems like a good build, probably been mentioned before but reactions? good? bad?

2. Noxarcana

Noxarcana IncGamers Member

sounds pretty good. what are you planning to do with equipment for that char?

3. FreezerBurn

FreezerBurn Banned

most people go with skeletons over mages in hybrid builds - mages can get wiped out pretty fast in hell. but it'd be worth a try.

4. mhl12

mhl12 IncGamers Member

I would suggest a point in summon resist and instead of mages, go for regular skelletons. They survive A LOT better than mages. And then, spend some points in curses as well.

5. LorveN

LorveN D3 Off Topic Moderator

If you want maximum response, try the necromancer forum ;)

6. Twoflower

Twoflower Banned

it s a pretty common build when you replace mages whit normal skeletons... i think... i made one on single player ( whit skeletons ) and it rocks

7. Frosty_The_Snowman

Frosty_The_Snowman IncGamers Member

I think that's not the point to build yet another cookie-cutter summoner. He just wants to know if this unusual build is viable, and/or has already been tried by some fearsome players :lol: ! Indeed, the best place to look at is the Necromancer Forum.

8. front243

front243 IncGamers Member

I would probably drop the Skeleton Mages and put points into Skeleton Mastery to get stronger Skeleton Warriors. I think you will find similar builds in the sticky in the Necromancer forum.

9. rubberband shooter

rubberband shooter IncGamers Member

This build is still viable I think. Mages are not as weak as most people thought. But keep in mind that mages may not be as easy to use in a hybrid like skeleton warriors. Anyway, I think you should go ahead if you think this build will be fun.

10. zirilion

zirilion IncGamers Member

1. i would not waste points on poison skills as you will still meet poison immus where even maxed lower res doesnt help (i got a poison nec and those immus really annoy me)

2. meages damage is really low anyway its half the normal sceleton damage)

3. your mages will die v fast if you wont get summon resist (like when mephi does his nova)

4. they WILL get hit by melee attacks they WILL die fast vs melee fighters (their life is too low and they are too slow to recover it)

5. youll need 100 pts plus to get all of those skills which means youll need lvl 90+

my suggestion would be

20- raise sceleton
    20- raise scele mage (i use them mainly for number as they do take some hits helping the main sceles)
    20- scele mastery
    1- revive *
    1- summon fire golem
    1- summon resist *
    1- amplify damage
    1- decrepify
    1- attract (for killing horadrim ancients and others that can slow down or hurt your army as well as for moving it more effectivly)
    1- bone arm (to take at least some melle damage off)
    1- corpse explosion (great effect in crowded places)
    *the rest on to summon res and revive (your choise whatever you want)

with this build youll wipe out any act without any trouble as long as the nec doesnt get hit

iv built a nec like that and so far he hasnt died once in hell and has 200 spare stat points to distribute (he doesnt need them)

the gear is up to you (enigma will help alot to move your stuck minions, arm of king leorics is preferable)

:p probably my longest post

11. leumas

leumas IncGamers Member

Spare a point in attract/confuse and a point a gray golem. You should have less if not none tanker problem. However, you need to experience to figure out the best way to keep your mage alive. Good thinking by the way, actually something extra-ordinary. I wonder why ppl keep suggesting cookie cutter build, it's way out of the point.

12. Gorny

Gorny Banned

*moves thread to Necro Forum*

13. Pherdnut

Pherdnut IncGamers Member

With the right gear, this build would rock but it's all expensive.

For poison you're going to want Triple Trang's (Shield, Gloves, and 1 other piece), and Death's Web which is one of the more expensive uniques in the game. For prebuffing mages, AoKL and a Darkforce or +3SM/+3RSM Splendor Shield.

Enigma is going to be important to keep your mages focused on one target and to be able to back away from hordes of nasty meleers.

And yeah, you're really going to want Infinity on your Merc. That's Ber, Mal, Ber, Ist right there. You could make do without, however. Ignore the poison naysayers - poison immunes aren't very common but you do still need a good source of nonpoison damage which 20 in mages will do for you.

Keep in mind, however, you are still going to want a couple more points for corpse explode and three more to get a clay golem and summon resist. That puts you at slightly over 110 points for the build which just isn't going to happen before the ladder reset unless you have 7 buddies devoted to XP running you full time. I would leave the mages at 10/20 SM/RM at first and be prepared to leave poison synergies not completely maxed. Summon resist is absolutely essential to any summoning build.

The other problem with mage based builds is that you really have to do some prep work to edit out poison and ice. A couple ice mages is cool but the poison mages are worthless for damage (they are effectively heal preventers) and your novas will counteract their lengthy poison duration anyway, so you're going to have to summon, unsummon, and resummon a lot before starting any new game. Furthermore, you WILL take losses so you'll have to be editing these guys out fairly frequently.

Poison/Warrior is a much cheaper, convenient, and safer build, but everything I've heard about mage based builds with Enigma and Infinity and what I've seen without infinity suggests that this would be a surprisingly effective build.

14. Necrochild313

Necrochild313 IncGamers Member

Merc + amp + CE = gg

The unremovable poison immune is rare, but generally easily taken out by lighting up the corpses next door. However one area that this is not an option is the Venom Lord pack in Hell Baal's throne room. However, with help of my merc, I can still clear it out in a full game (whereas i'm soloing baal, dueling games are great for this), so it's not that big of an annoyance.

15. dang79

dang79 IncGamers Member

I think the whole point was that he doesn't want to make another fishymancer or other regular build. Not sure if this is that original, but I think mages are pretty difficult to play without regular skeletons, it might just work with enigma to draw mages away from the advancing crowds, but it would be tricky to play.

16. zirilion

zirilion IncGamers Member

y i would agree that this is a better thread for a nec forum

17. Pherdnut

Yeah, because some of us regular necro forumgoers actually understand that mages can be dangerous in their own right.

18. Dad Daniel

Dad Daniel IncGamers Member

It is very interesting thread for me, because i have just start the preparations of the exactly same build with the poisonmancer/mage-master. I am playing on the europe hardcore ladder and this night i was lucky to find a game called "O PERFECT DEATH WEB" ( in the matter of fact even ordinary death web is hard to find in the trade games), so i spend one Jah for it. The base is done, but i think to have a chance to maximize the sinergy effects on the Poison nova is initial to find rare necro head with skills like :(+2Necro', +3 Poison nova,1-3 skeleton mages, +1- 3 LOWER RESIST - the last one is the most important thing, and because of it we are able to sacrifice the GREAT POISON TRANG SINERGY (from the belt, gloves and the shield). Thus we will be able to have lower resist without the cost of loosing 6 skill points in the prerequired curses - and thus we will be full sinergized on lower level, instead on 90+.
    But i am curious to know when exactly the Ladder will reset. Someone have more information about this?

19. sir goatscelot

sir goatscelot IncGamers Member

Sticking with orignal idea, (which seems good to me :) ) you could go for all cold mages so they can slow down the baddies while poison kills them. Yes I know cold mages can shatter corpses, but meh, just play and have fun.

20. Pherdnut

That's a really good point saving idea but giving up -25 to resists is not a minor sacrifice. I'd be wanting some poison facets to make up the difference. I have a perfectly poor Death's Web (-40/+1), no poison facets, my poison synergies aren't maxed, and I'm happy with my poison damage so this would probably work quite nicely if you equipped 2-3 perfect -resist poison facets to make up the difference. I would suggest not worrying about getting mages, nova, and LR on the same head (although that would be a very nice find for your build). Instead just try for LR and maybe nova if you're lucky. You could try your luck in the trading forums though. You never know.

The best way to enhance the mages is to keep a +2-3 Mages/+2-3 Skeleton Mastery Head with the splendor runeword and Arm of King Leoric in your alternate weapon slots so you can prebuff them and then switch back. That or a darkforce Spawn with +3 to summoning but the splendor head will be much cheaper and potentially better.

What I also like about this build is that even with one point, your skeleton warriors will still have more health than the mages most likely, which makes for good decoys if nothing else.

Blizzard has asked on their forums that people stop asking when the next ladder will happen have also said that they will announce it in advance so it's probably not soon but one definitely appears to be coming.